Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Harry's Medical Thread

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave
This might be silly, but I do want to ask just in case. Right now the set up for my guy is puppy pad under fleece. I was just changing his cage and the pee on the pad is very brown. I noticed that as well about a week ago when he peed on the puppy pad on my lap. I have only had him about two weeks so I'm unsure if this is normal or not. Took a quick picture for reference. Thoughts?

20160311_131643_HDR.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Brown urine?

GP urine darkens as it dries, particularly in younger guinea pigs. It usually dries orangish rather than brownish, but cameras don't always replicate color correctly.

How old is your guinea pig? Is there any odor to the urine (fresh, not dried)?

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave

No odor that I can tell. I was told he was 'a few months'. It's pretty dark brown. I don't know if it's just because of the puppy pad? He peed on my bed once and it dried yellow.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Then maybe replace the puppy pad with something else for a while and see it the problem continues. If not, it's the pad.

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave

It looks absolutely normal to me. The pic looks just like what I see on my pads at cage cleaning time. My liners are well over four years old and the uHaul pad in the middle has undoubtedly worn out as evidenced by the urine stains on the pad underneath. In your case, I really doubt that it has anything to do with the pad and is simply oxidized urine.

If you are using a layer of fleece (only) over the puppy pad, then it is apt to be even more brownish in color. And, I suspect that the older the stain, the more brown it becomes. If the piggies accidentally urinate on us and the laundry sits for a couple of days, those stains become darker.

Thank you! That makes sense. The rational part of me said it was perfectly fine, but of course I googled and had ppl saying urinary tract infection. New piggy mom panic. Note to self - relax. Lol

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave

** someone please let me know how to edit the name of this thread.. **

I just found two white chalky looking spots on the fleece in my cage. I'm guessing obviously this is due to too much calcium.. I don't know exactly how old my skinny is, I was told he was 'a few months' when I got him.. I have him on oxbow for young cavies. The only veggies he gets is green or red leaf lettuce, raddichio, green peppers, celery, and sometimes carrot. I have given him parsley maybe twice a week before.. I will obviously stop the parsley. But is this something I need to be concerned about? What is my course of action here? I'm hesitant to switch him to adult pellets in case he is still younger than six months.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

What do you want the title changed to?

If you think he's several months old, I'd go ahead and switch him to adult pellets.

You'll never totally get rid of the calcium spots if your pig is prone to them.

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave

What do you want the title changed to?

If you think he's several months old, I'd go ahead and switch him to adult pellets.

You'll never totally get rid of the calcium spots if your pig is prone to them.

I was under the impression you needed to update your one medical thread each time there was a new issue. Just trying to follow the rules of this forum.

He's at least four months old I would imagine. He could be eight or more. I literally have no idea.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Then I'd switch.

And, yes, you do need to stick with one medical thread. If this is it, I can change the title, but I need to know what you want it to be. What is your pig's name? We'll just call it his medical thread if that's OK.

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave

Harry's medical thread. Thanks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.