Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Is this a good enough cage?!

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
The Midwest cage does meet the minimum size requires, however, if you have pigs that are not already bonded or you have boars, I would build a larger C&C. Alternatively you could buy two of these and connect them together but it would probably be cheaper to build your own C&C.

Also, you can buy this cage off of amazon and one version comes with a lid or you can buy this lid separately.

Just the cage:https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001...e=UTF8&refRID=0HZTX4BN0KSVT263539Q&th=1&psc=1

Cage with lid: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001...e=UTF8&refRID=0HZTX4BN0KSVT263539Q&th=1&psc=1

Just the lid: (broken link removed)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can also get the materials and make your own cage. See the Main tab at the top of this page for instructions. Or, if you like the C&C cages and want to buy a kit, try https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com.

The cage you linked to is small for two sows, and way too small for two boars.

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave
I really think it depends on where you live if it's cheaper to build your own CC cage. I just paid $200 to build a 2x4.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
You can get a box of 21 grids for $20 from Sears and a sheet of coroplast for $15-$30 from a sign shop (depending on where you live). Do you need a top to keep dogs or cats out? Wire closet shelving is a great lid for C&C cages, and it's pretty inexpensive at Home Depot.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@Omgitspink, where on earth do you live that it cost you that much to build a cage?

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave
Canada. Ppl may have built one cheaper from here, but I couldn't find anywhere with the materials cheaper! Lol

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave
Oh, shoot. Nevermind. I just realized it cost me that much because I built it on top of a rabbit cage. Still would have been over a hundred dollars though.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I was wondering. You can buy enough grids for a cage at a Canadian Walmart for less than $50. There are Sabic Polymershapes stores in several areas in Canada, but you don't actually have to have coroplast -- a shower curtain will do.

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave
I was wondering. You can buy enough grids for a cage at a Canadian Walmart for less than $50. There are Sabic Polymershapes stores in several areas in Canada, but you don't actually have to have coroplast -- a shower curtain will do.

The walmarts I checked didn't have enough grids in one pack unless I went without a floor. $50 for a box of 16 grids. I bought three for the cage I made. But yeah, if you just wanted a frame you can get the grids for a bit cheaper.

Wandalea

Cavy Slave
I really think it depends on where you live if it's cheaper to build your own CC cage. I just paid $200 to build a 2x4.
Here in Kauai it costs $45 for a box of 17 grids, so I would have needed 2 boxes for my 2x4 with lid. I wouldn't have been able to get the color of coroplast here that I wanted & the 2 metal center bars for the lid would cost extra--much more than on the mainland. So I ordered from the cages store & got one shipped here for a total of $206. The shipping was almost as much as the cage. I'm glad I did though because the color was important to me since the cage is a huge part of my living room.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Prices in Ontario, Canada are pretty inflated right now, but no where near a 2x4 costing $200, at least where I live (I don't know where in Canada you're located).

You can get 16 grids for $35 from Canadian tire, 18 grids from bed bath and beyond for $27 or 23 grids for around $50 off of amazon.ca.

Coroplast can be found in 4x8 sheets at home Depot for $30. Or check out plastic stores. I bought my 4x8 sheets from P&A plastics for $12 each.

Also, check your make sure the grids you bought at a Canadian Walmart are the safe ones with 9x9 squares. From what I know, Ontario walmarts no longer carry the safe grids.

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave
Prices in Ontario, Canada are pretty inflated right now, but no where near a 2x4 costing $200, at least where I live (I don't know where in Canada you're located).

You can get 16 grids for $35 from Canadian tire, 18 grids from bed bath and beyond for $27 or 23 grids for around $50 off of amazon.ca.

Coroplast can be found in 4x8 sheets at home Depot for $30. Or check out plastic stores. I bought my 4x8 sheets from P&A plastics for $12 each.

Also, check your make sure the grids you bought at a Canadian Walmart are the safe ones with 9x9 squares. From what I know, Ontario walmarts no longer carry the safe grids.

I corrected myself. The cage I made is half a rabbit cage. But Canadian tire sells boxes of grids for $46 not $30. I bought three boxes from Canadian tire. I checked Walmart but didn't buy there. Yes home depot has the massive sheets, but won't cut for you. I can't fit a giant sheet like that in my car. I got two sheets or coroplast cut for me for $30.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.