Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Zombie Apacalypse

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
If a worldwide epidemic were to occur and it created a zombie apocolypse, what would you do with your pigs and your other animals?

Me personally, I would try to pack the girls, food, hay, grids, and all other nessesities and create a stash pack before anything else. That way,incase we were to leave the house, everything is in one bag and easy to get. Then I would get my family and tell them to bring all their food. I would then proceed to run to menards, lowes, home depot and any other hardware place to build an unpenetrable brick fence. I would also get wooden boards/palates and screw(not nail) them to my windows. Stock piling human food is next, along with rationing. I would then go and get my horse and put him in my back yard. Then I would raid the pet stores to get food for my dog and girls. We would stay in my house or my grandparents'. What would you do?

i would pack everything up - get lots of animal food and such, and find a boat and live in the middle of the sea :D

We have a TON of freeze dried food (it's called Shelf Reliance, so awesome) so we'd stock up on that, and other nonperishable foods and water for humans and animals. I guess my family and I would "zombie proof" the house lol, and what goes from there. Ooo gas, lots of gas, just in case. Since I have the biggest house out of everyone, I'd have all my family in the state come and refuge with me, so we'd have a ton of supplies and be all set!

This post just got me all nerdy and excited! Haha

I'd lock then baracade the windows and doors of my house with all of my heaviest furniture, and relocate my mom, me, the pigs and maybe my brothers (depending on where they are at the time of the attack), to my basement. I live five minutes away from a grocery store, so I could loot some food once the coast was clear.

A few years ago, I would've run to a local restaraunt, because it literally didn't have any windows. But its been demolished, so that's out the window.

If a horde of zombies comes along you're not gonna last that long in a house. With all of their combined weight and strength they would probably find a way to break in if they knew there was food inside.

As horrible as this may sound, I would probably have to kill my piggy. I wouldn't want him to suffer by possibly being eaten by a zombie that sees him as a snack or getting a URI and having to suffer through it until he dies because there wouldn't be any vets. And I definitely wouldn't want him to freeze/overheat to death. Killing him quickly seems to be the most humane way to deal with that kind of situation.
Don't get me wrong though, I would be devastated that he's gone, but making sure he goes quick and painlessly as opposed to dying slowly just seems more logical to me.
After that I'm not sure what I would do. I would probably gather supplies try to find a few people that i know and get to some place safe and see where it goes from there.

If a horde of zombies comes along you're not gonna last that long in a house. With all of their combined weight and strength they would probably find a way to break in if they knew there was food inside.

As horrible as this may sound, I would probably have to kill my piggy. I wouldn't want him to suffer by possibly being eaten by a zombie that sees him as a snack or getting a URI and having to suffer through it until he dies because there wouldn't be any vets. And I definitely wouldn't want him to freeze/overheat to death. Killing him quickly seems to be the most humane way to deal with that kind of situation.
Don't get me wrong though, I would be devastated that he's gone, but making sure he goes quick and painlessly as opposed to dying slowly just seems more logical to me.
After that I'm not sure what I would do. I would probably gather supplies try to find a few people that i know and get to some place safe and see where it goes from there.

Im glad this is realistic. If there was a real zombie issue,in all honesty pigs would be last thought about maybe if you could hunker down but on the go you thoughts are about how you and you family will survive,you can only carry so much food and supplies which run out and shelters can be over run.
walking dead anyone? lol I watch the show read the comic play the game and read the associated novels(The Governor)

I am a huge Walking Dead fan, and because of it I often have zombie dreams. I honestly don't know what I would do during a zombie apocalypse. Unfortunately, and it would be very heartbreaking, but I would probably humanely euthanize my pets. I wouldn't want to subject them to that kind of fear and possible pain.
I wouldn't want to stay in my house, I'd probably load up a car and travel around until I found a safe enough place. It would be awesome if my family and I were to find a deserted island somewhere. Then we could live Swiss Family Robinson style(ish) in peace!

i would pack everything up - get lots of animal food and such, and find a boat and live in the middle of the sea :D

Maybe we can create a sea "village" with boat-going guinea pig owners. :D

I LOVE the Walking Dead! Sadly I missed the last episode so I will catch up next week. My house is pretty decent sized so we would live there until things ran out.

More people should read the comic I like it so much more. The governor books are also very good

I am a huge Walking Dead fan, and because of it I often have zombie dreams.

I'm also a huge Walking Dead fan. 3 more days until the new episode wooo!!
I've been having a lot of zombie dreams after watching the walking dead too.

The last one i had was this: I was at the house i grew up in, in Oklahoma and i put my cat in my room and boarded the windows. I was trying to get the back door to close completely because the latch wasn't working for some reason, then I looked out our back door and saw a cat named Levi that was at a house i lived at in Dallas and he was on my old playground set.
I quickly ran outside and got on the playground and grabbed him. When I went down the slide with him a lot of zombies sprouted out of the ground and started coming at me. Levi disappeared after the zombies appeared so i went inside and the door still wouldn't close completely. So I opened the door to our garage and there were several zombies in there. Me and a couple of the people that were with me starting killing them and when we almost got them all cleared out i woke up.
We were trying to clear them out so we could at least stay in the garage where both doors closed properly.

Im glad this is realistic. If there was a real zombie issue,in all honesty pigs would be last thought about maybe if you could hunker down but on the go you thoughts are about how you and you family will survive,you can only carry so much food and supplies which run out and shelters can be over run.
walking dead anyone? lol I watch the show read the comic play the game and read the associated novels(The Governor)

I've never read the comics but i hear they're pretty gruesome. lol
I used to watch a "let's play" on youtube of the walking dead game but haven't actually played it myself. I do play the facebook game though. :)

Another reason why i would prefer to quickly kill my piggy as opposed to trying to take him with me is that if you do keep your piggies with you, what would you do if where you're staying DOES get overrun? I mean if you've kept them with you that long i doubt you're going to want to just leave them behind. So you would probably try to save them and by doing that it puts you in a very risky situation - walkers could easily bite/kill you while you're trying to keep the piggies safe.

I've actually seriously though about this. With all the unknowns of this word, the chances of some sort of zombie apocalypse, mass virus something or other happening, in my opinion are pretty high. Even if it's not it's better to feel stupid in making up a detailed plan in case it happens, then to have nothing and feel stupid as you're getting eaten by a zombie. lol Personally I'd plan to release my pigs into the wild if something like this happened. I feel like this would be the best possible thing for them, as taking them with me wouldn't be an option. This goes the same for the cats, I'd only take Bella with me, as she can run on her own, and teach her how to hunt animals. I have a great plan to get food also. Since most of the normal grocery stores would, without a doubt, be the first place people would go to get food, I'd go where no one would think of, like a pet store. Most good foods are simply meat, and therefore could sustain a human, plus I'd have good quality food for Bella.

Wow someone else with zombie dreams? I thought I was the only one! Ever since I saw Shaun of the Dead when I was 12, I've had zombie dreams.

Ummm let's see...I live in a kind of trailer hood out in the country and we're all a bunch of rednecks so...I'm sure we would ban together and have armed guards all over the place and we would just live here and hunt and grow our food. So, us and our 5 dogs, (which by the way would come in handy for hunting) and two cats, and two guinea pigs would flourish in our little protective redneck cocoon. LMAO!

Oh I am also a big walking dead fan and I've gone through this so many times... lol

First off, I would pack all my pets/family into our truck along with their food, etc. I would drive to the nearest grocery/home depot, etc and collect as many things as possible that I could fit into the car, and then to a gun store to get the necessities. Afterwards I would drive to the west coast and live on one of the tiny hardly-inhabited islands off the coast of vancouver.

My family/ friends also have a "meeting" place if anything "apocalypsy" were to happen.... lol

P.S> My aunt is a vet, so hopefully killing my piggy wouldn't be an option.

Honestly, I think I would humanely put the animals down. I would like to entertain the idea of hunkering down and living off the land, but realistically it wouldn't work out that way. I wouldn't want my animals to live in constant fear, and danger. My plan is to procure weapons, raid homes for non-perishables/supplies (since stores would be raided), and set out. I would like to find a motorcycle, but the streets would be absolutely grid locked, so I think on foot is the best option, at least until I found open road.

Maybe we can create a sea "village" with boat-going guinea pig owners. :D

great idea!!! and plenty of fish to go around nom! although the guins might get a little sea sick!!!! when we run out of food, we can dock up and find a store and loot it quickly!!!

I'm glad to see some serious/realistic responses on here. I read an article recently about surviving a nuclear winter, and one of the first things it said is to get rid of your pets, either by euthanizing them or letting them go. At least if you are letting them go, you are giving them a sporting chance, though I don't think guinea pigs would last very long in the wild. It's sad to think about, so hopefully this is nothing we'll have to deal with in our lifetime. I don't think we'll have to worry about a zombie apocalypse anyway :p

Oh, and Walking Dead, woo!

Couldn't edit my previous post to add that I meant "Most good dog foods" are mostly meat with some veggies/fruits/added vitamins. I'd also plan to live somewhere out in the woods with only the few people I could trust. Honestly if a zombie apocalypse did happen, the biggest threat would be humans, as with something like that, everyone would take up the "Every man for themselves" mindset, and with no laws or anything like that, killing others would be an option for some people who really wanted what you had. I'd also collect a large pack of dogs, because I feel they would be the best members of a group to have. They can learn quite quickly that zombies are a bad thing, and with their ears and nose could alert you to zombies nearby faster then any human could. Larger dogs can also carry things, can hunt and also look intimidating. "You want my supplies? Sure, just make it through my pack of twenty dogs first! Muhahahaha"

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.