Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) Dyed piggies . What's Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I don't think I would do this to my piggie if I had a white piggie.. They said they use kool aid.. Would any of do this.

. tumblr_mdm4lmshO61qa65u2o1_500.pngindex.jpg

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
No. If it is cool aid, the pigs could eat some and possibly get sick from it, since there are some chemical food stuff in it. The one is kind of pretty, but to do that I would not.

Tensonstar

Cavy Slave
aww poor pigs. if i did do it i would not put it anywhere on the face thats for sure! what if it got in there eye!? :O

ellisa

Cavy Slave
If this person had wanted something pink and fluffy they should have gone to a toy store.

T_Licious

Cavy Slave
That's what photoshop is for!!

Fizzlepop40

Cavy Slave
I just don't know about some people these days... I'm sure the poor piggies look much prettier with their natural hair color..

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
No! What is going on in people's heads? I know those are "food safe dyes," but some people have reactions to them, so why would we think animals would be any different?

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
<sad eyes> I'd probably do it once if I had a white pig! Not pink tho! PURPLE! LOL but I'm the kind of parent who draws love notes in marker on her kids hands and arms while they are sleeping! LOL

mama_

Cavy Slave
My 5 year old son is actually allergic to artificial food coloring. Most people don't even think about food coloring but it is a CHEMICAL added to things to make it "look better." I DO NOT think putting a chemical on your pet is a good idea....especially if it's just for the sake of making it look better. Your piggies should be like your children. If you don't think they're beautiful as is, you're a pretty crappy piggy-parent.

aeiou

Cavy Slave
@Onetwo I'm laughing my head off imagining waking up to a love letter from my mother....Oh gosh wow...thanks for making me laugh so hard! That's so awesome I can't even describe it! Makes me wanna do it to my kids when I'm older LOL I'm still cracking up.

T_Licious

Cavy Slave
I'm pretty sure if my mom took a marker to me in my sleep it wouldn't be a love note lol lol lol

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
@mama_ my boys and I are allergic to food dyes as well. I'd probably use a blueberry mash that I use for finger painting with my boys if I were to do it! LOL Plus I don't think name calling is appropriate! Lots of parents do things like pierce their newborns ears, let their teens get tats and body piercings and other stupid stuff. Life is all about balancing risk and fun.

mama_

Cavy Slave
@mama_ my boys and I are allergic to food dyes as well. I'd probably use a blueberry mash that I use for finger painting with my boys if I were to do it! LOL Plus I don't think name calling is appropriate! Lots of parents do things like pierce their newborns ears, let their teens get tats and body piercings and other stupid stuff. Life is all about balancing risk and fun.

Ok, you're right. Maybe labeling people as crappy piggy-parents is harsh. So I apologize to anyone who may take that offensively. But for sure I still stand by my point that (in my opinion) there is no reason to dye your piggie with any chemicals. Blueberry juice maybe.....I guess that would be ok. :p

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
My 4 year old laughed his butt off Saturday morning because he crawled into my bed in the middle of the night and I woke up early and drew hearts and rainbows ALL over his belly! I think him and his brother laughed for an hour! I was inspired by JigglyPuff from pokemon. My kids are obsessed with pokemon! So they think its FUNNY!

ellisa

Cavy Slave

I understand what you're saying, but in my opinion humans getting tattoos and piercings is a lot different than dyeing an animal. For the most part those said people most likely gave consent for any body modification. An animal cannot. In my opinion it is disrespectful to treat an animal this way. By humanizing them like this it erases what they really are. I don't know if I'm making any sense, and I'm really not trying to start anything. This is just how I feel. I do understand where you're coming from, I just come from different place I guess. :)

Last edited:

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
What's wrong with a teen getting tats and piercings? :eek:

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Really, it seems pretty benign and relatively harmless to me. It's definitely not my thing and not anything I'd have either the time or the patience to do but I hardly think that anyone who finds a safe, non-toxic way to dye their pet for (obviously) their own amusement can be labeled a "crappy" or otherwise careless pet parent. I lack the time, the patience, or the desire to do anything like this but I have an acquaintance who has a Papillion mix dog who is mostly white and she uses a totally non-toxic hemp (I think) based dye to dye her dog virtually every color of the rainbow, depending on the occassion or time of year . It's struck me as a little odd, but it's never once crossed my mind that she is forcing something upon her pet that is in any way disrespectful or unkind. To her it's fun and the animal isn't harmed, so I really don't see the harm or cause for an outcry or uproar.

No, a pig certainly can't consent to having its hair dyed, it also can't consent to having its hair cut and I know when I had a Peruvian I kept her hair very short because it was preferable and more convenient to me. I wouldn't think dying her hair for a short period of time for a photo op or whatever would be any more a violation and certainly wouldn't make the owner any less committed or serious or loving or any of those things for doing it and the idea that it does is a bit extremist, in my view.

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
Ok, you're right. Maybe labeling people as crappy piggy-parents is harsh. So I apologize to anyone who may take that offensively. But for sure I still stand by my point that (in my opinion) there is no reason to dye your piggie with any chemicals. Blueberry juice maybe.....I guess that would be ok. :p

There are all kinds of natural food dyes -- tea, walnut, berries. Anything that can stain cloth can be used to dye hair. Won't necessarily be intense, but it would work. I sure wouldn't use koolaid, though.

asnnbrg

Cavy Slave
What's wrong with a teen getting tats and piercings? :eek:

I'm a pretty alternative mom. My (little) kids have had fauxhawks, used all kinds of temp colors on their hair, etc. But I wouldn't let them get tats until they are legally old enough to get them without my permission AND until they can pay for them themselves. A tat is a lifelong commitment. I've seen too many people get things they've later regretted.

ellisa

Cavy Slave
@Paula, I hope this wasn't directed at me, though I know it most likely was. I really didn't mean to start anything, I was simply sharing my own opinion which was what the OP asked. I also kept my Peruvian's hair very short, but there was a huge personality change when his hair was short. He was much more happy when his hair was trimmed short. I don't blame him, I would hate to be a walking mop! I know there are many people out there who colour their pets. My dogs' old groomer used to offer pet dyeing, but I never did it. My dogs are both black with white tips on their tails, and there have been times when I've thought it would be very cute if their tips were a different colour. I just wouldn't be able to do it. To all the people who would, more power to ya! I really do understand why people do it. It's just not for everyone. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.