Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Not Eating Leo's medical thread

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm beginning to wonder what I've done wrong in a previous life, or what I'm doing wrong now.

Last night Leo was as happy and chipper as ever. Running around having a grand old time.

This morning...... nothing. No laps waiting for his morning pepper. Not coming when hes called. Not drinking water. Eating a.little hay now and then but nothing else, not even his favourites. Just lying around under the bendy wood with his head down.

Both my wife and I have upper respiratory infections and I have a bad feeling we've given it to him. Both of ours presented in a rapid onset overnight.

His vet appt is at 3:45pm. Wish us luck.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well,
The vet can't find anything wrong with him but prescribed antibiotics just in case.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Hes home now, with Sultatrim twice a day. He was such a good boy at the vet which tells me he isn't feeling well lol. He didnt even fuss with the thermometer up the bum!

His heart and lungs sound strong and clear. Tummy noises are normal. Not running a temperature. Weight is great (and he hasn't lost any). Hes been fed a few syringes of Critical Care today as well. He IS eating some hay, when he came home that's the first thing he did. Oddly enough, SCOOTER wants to play and Leo wants none of it right now.

So, I've started the Sulfatrim just in case but was told if he seems back to normal by tomorrow night, to stop it. He might just be having an off day.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, the vet said we did the right thing bringing him in because, as we all know, not eating is serious and he ate very little on his own yesterday.

He got two full syringes of Critical Care again last night, and when given their evening salad he ate some but left a fair bit and went to nap.

Finished the rest of the salad during the night, and while not his usual chipper self quite yet he did respond to being called this morning and ate his entire green pepper slice and a cucumber slice. He's also been grazing in the hay.

Whatever it was the made him go off yesterday, appears to be on it's way out.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
One time I gave my pigs just a tiny little piece of spinach, which they had never had before, and it really affected my pig Teddi. She reacted just like Leo. She wouldn't eat much at all and was listless for over 12 hours. I was in a panic and was going to take her to the vet the next morning. When I went in the next day to feed them their morning meal she came right out and started to eat her salad just like usual. I guess that spinach really upset her stomach. It seemed like once it went through her digestive tract she felt much better. Obviously I never gave them spinach again.

I'm so glad to hear that Leo seems to be feeling better. I hope you and your wife are also feeling better. Our pigs rely on us and when we are feeling sick it makes it so difficult to give them the best of care.

Thank you, @Kelsie. I went to the doctor myself yesterday while Leo was at his Dr's appt. I have pneumonia. Yippee.

He does seem for the most part back to normal, other than not really drinking much.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.