Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Water Guinea pigs don't drink water?

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
I've had my guinea pigs for almost 2 months and they never drink any water! I've seem them at it a few times, so they know how to use it...they just don't drink anything!

Are they getting enough water from their veggies? I took them to the vet 2 weeks ago for a wellness check and they are both perfectly healthy. Wondering if anyone has the same thing with their pigs.

Thanks!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Mine take drinking by spells. But if you're giving them veggies with a lot of water, like red or green leaf lettuce, cucumber, etc, they're probably fine. But you can leave the veggies pretty wet as well, and that will help with their liquid intake.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Suffice it to say, if they hadn't drunk water in 2 months, they would be dead so you can rest assured they are drinking. Not seeing them drink doesn't mean they aren't drinking. It just means they are drinking after dark or when you aren't around.

butterflylover5

Cavy Slave
Suffice it to say, if they hadn't drunk water in 2 months, they would be dead so you can rest assured they are drinking. Not seeing them drink doesn't mean they aren't drinking. It just means they are drinking after dark or when you aren't around.

The water level in the water bottle never goes down, and I change it every day

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
The water level in the water bottle never goes down, and I change it every day

I would put a mark, maybe a small piece of tape or something similar on the water bottle to see if the level really isn't changing or if it just LOOKS like it isn't changing. They might not be drinking much but they are drinking if they are still alive. If you are really worried about it you can always wet the veggies like [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] said to make sure they are getting the moisture they need.

cookiesandcreme

Cavy Slave
Have you tried giving them different temperature water to see what the prefer? I found that one of my guinea pigs only really drinks a lot of water if it's iced cold (I freeze my extra bottles to 90% and top off in the morning) and drinks far less when it's just refrigerated. The other one rarely drinks water (at least when I'm around) but eats lots of vegetables with high water content.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
This thread is from 6 months ago.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.