Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Cleaning the fleece is a pain...

PiggleLove2013

Cavy Slave
(I wasn't sure whether to make the prefix fleece or cleaning, so forgive me if I put it in the wrong category)

Hi all!

As enjoyable as fleece is, it's a pain to clean. I cannot find a good way to wash it without hay EVERYWHERE. Last time I washed my blankets the washer was FILLED with hay... It was very hard to get out because I am short. Our washer is slightly older and we don't want it getting clogged with poo and hay. No matter how well I shake the blankets there is always a bunch of hay.. Will I need to sweep them off? It's hard to do that because the blankets are so long, and I can't get hay on the porch. If I shake it off outside in the yard it will get dirt all over it.

I can't do an extra load in the washer (and especially not with vinegar, Mom hates the smell and so do I) as we do not have very many water resources and have to savor it, and can't do unnecessary loads.

I can't change to bedding because it's a pain to clean, it's expensive, and it makes my allergies go crazy...

Any ideas??

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
To get the hay and hair off, take it outside and shake it out as best as you can, drape it over the rail and sweep it off in sections then get a rubber curry comb and do the same thing, that should take off most of whatever is left. I never have a problem with clogging my washer.

After you're done get a broom with a pan and sweep up all the hay you got on the porch. :)

CoffeeAddict

Cavy Slave
Do you use one big piece of fleece, or flippers? When I used one big piece, I would lay it out on the ground and step on it with one foot on each side to pull it tight and sweep the hay off. Now that I have flippers I just sweep each one individually into the coroplast with a small hand broom and then sweep everything up into a dust pan when I'm finished. The flippers are SOOOO much easier, and they take much less time to clean.

Edit: Sorry, I guess I didn't read the post very thoroughly before I replied lol. I don't think it would matter if you took it out into the yard and got dirt on it since that would be happening before you wash it. But either way if you have a sewing machine I really recommend making some flippers. It's very easy and it makes life a billion times easier when cleaning the cage! :)

PiggleLove2013

Cavy Slave
Do you use one big piece of fleece, or flippers? When I used one big piece, I would lay it out on the ground and step on it with one foot on each side to pull it tight and sweep the hay off. Now that I have flippers I just sweep each one individually into the coroplast with a small hand broom and then sweep everything up into a dust pan when I'm finished. The flippers are SOOOO much easier, and they take much less time to clean.

I use one piece, as in blankets. Fleece Flippers I was looking into but they're just too expensive. My pigs would just kick them up and burrow under anyways, unless it was one big pillow that was extremely stuffed into the cage. I need a pattern to make my own.

CoffeeAddict

Cavy Slave
All I did for my flippers was measure the cubes, which are 14 inches. Since my cage is 2x4, I made each flipper 14inches wide and 28 inches long. Then you just cut two pieces that size, lay them so the inside is facing out, and sew around 3 sides. After you have the 3 sides sewn you just flip it right side out and you have a huge pocket that you can stick towels or uhaul pads or whatever it is that you're using to absorb the pee inside :) It's really pretty simple!

PiggleLove2013

Cavy Slave
Piggy bedspreads looked like a really good option too. Since I'm getting a differently sized cage (1x5 to a 2x4) I want to get the new fleece when I have my new cage since I want it to fit.

Campbellmom

Cavy Slave
We just made fleece flippers and they are really easy to sweep the hay off of since the fleece is tight.
When we made our fleece flippers we measured our cage and divided it into fours. We cut out four pieces of coroplast and layed the coroplast on the fleece and folded the fleece over the coroplast and cut the fleece so we only had to sew two sides of the fleece to make the "pillow case" that goes over the coroplast with two pieces of uhaul pad. They are really tight on the bottom of the cage so the boys can not burrow under them.
And we have a little hand-held brush from Wal-mart that we use. Do you have a separate kitchen area for the hay that's away from the fleece? I know that made a huge difference having the hay upstairs and away from the fleece so they only drag down a little bit of hay versus tons before we had the kitchen area.
Here's a picture of our fleece flippers.

Attachments

image.jpg

PiggleLove2013

Cavy Slave
Do you have a separate kitchen area for the hay that's away from the fleece?

I have a litter box and a hay rack which is where I put the hay.

piggielover200

Cavy Slave
I wash my fleece I a pillow case tied at the top with a hair tie it keeps all the hay out of the washer.

Campbellmom

Cavy Slave
Is it upstairs or on the same level? When I had their litter box and hay on the same level it still made a huge mess with the hay on the fleece. But now that those are upstairs it's much better.

PiggleLove2013

Cavy Slave
On the same level. I don't have an upper level. It's a mess with them though, they kick all the litter out of the box, lol.

Last edited:

Campbellmom

Cavy Slave
Mine would popcorn like crazy and kick it everywhere when it was same level. Now they have to run down the stairs so they can't run in there and run back out and fling the hay every where. Could you do a second level with the litter box and hay?

PiggleLove2013

Cavy Slave
@Campbellmom

I am getting a bigger cage soon, so I don't want to get an upper level right now.
I thought about it (and even asked you guys here) if a cage with an upper level was hard to clean and most said it was, so I am not sure if I'd really like one in the future or at all.
If I'd have to mix it with bedding my pigs like to kick, and it's a pain to clean the fleece with bedding all over it. Plus, bedding makes me allergic and it's expensive.
If I'd use fleece for the upper level it would still be messy and have the same effect as it being on the bottom (the litter box is a corner-fit one).
I have really lazy piggies and I don't think they'd use an upper level. If my pigs could talk, I know telling my Furrybottom about an upper level would get a response such as "nah too much work."
Knowing they wouldn't use an upper level very much, they wouldn't use the litter tray, and it makes cleanup worse for me (I'm allergic to the pigs themselves, so a litter box helps because there's not poos all over the cage).

Good idea, though. Thank you for trying to help :)

Campbellmom

Cavy Slave
You're welcome :) I don't have a c & c cage so my upper level is easy to clean, so I can't speak to how easy or hard one is to clean. My boys' ramp to the upper level is 3 grids long so it's easy for them to get up and down, I don't know if a longer ramp would work for your piggies or not!?! If you're doing a bigger c & c cage you might be able to try an upper level and if it doesn't work then take it away.

What type of bedding do you use for the litter box? I used to use carefresh, but that was expensive and really messy, they'd fling it everywhere too. Now I use wood stove pellets, I bought a 40 pound bag for $4.50 at Tractor Supply and that doesn't hardly come out of the litter box at all. Good luck!

PiggleLove2013

Cavy Slave
@Campbellmom

I use BenaTerra litter (Oxbow). It's expensive but works very well. :3

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
If you're going to switch to a 2x4 with a piggy bedspread, then you could consider having that loft area for the litter area, hay area, and food area. That's basically what I have. I don't get any hay on the fleece because the fleece is only on the main level. If the piggies know that the food and hay is 'upstairs', they'll be sure to go up there and can potty at the same time.

I use wood pellets for litter in a coro tray. The hay box was where I was hoping they would potty, but my silly pigs decided they liked to 'go' all around their water and food bowls. The fiddlesticks serve as a sort of mat to minimize tracking of litter to the main level.

With the piggy bedspread, I also use potty pads since my girls 'go' all over the place. Hopefully this pic will give a general idea of how the loft works to keep all hay off of my fleece.

CAGE CURRENT.jpgPATIO PGGIE.jpg

PiggleLove2013

Cavy Slave
With my pigs I think a loft would be a pain, I don't think I'll get one. But thank you!

Gandalf

Cavy Slave
I wonder if using the hay box idea on your lower level instead would help keep the hay off the fleece, since that seems to be what you're trying to avoid. The box I use seems to keep the hay well contained. I put fresh hay on top twice per day.

Do you have a photo of your current set up?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.