Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Crumbs' medical thread

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: Piggy on way out, advice needed please

Any activity is good I think. Slowly but surely she's going to come around.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Has she had anything to drink? Has she pooped at all?

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

I really think that we might have turned a tiny corner at her last feed. She was biting down on the syringe with almost some enthusiasm

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

She is pooping lots, and peeing. I am syringing her probiotic which is made up in water

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Oh fantastic. If she's pooping there's food going through her. Liquids will help to flush out the anesthetic. It all sounds really good to me. I wish she was a little more active, but every pig is different. No need to panic because she's not as active as we'd hope her to be, poor girl's had a big day.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

So do I, I would just like to see her move a little. Even if it was to change her laying position

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

She likely is in pain and feels like total crap, so she doesn't want to move much. Understandable, and if you're bringing food to her and she's eating with a little enthusiasm, that's a pretty positive sign in my book.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

Yeah, I've heard a few teeth clicks like she's in pain. She can't have more Metacam for 12 hours though >.<

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

My vet used to give me Metacam for Sly after his molar planings, and for Pooper to help with his bad arthritis days. It was for .04ml every 24 hours. Metacam doesn't last for 24 hours, so I split the dosage. I gave him .02ml every 12 hours, and that seemed to help a little more. The dosage depends on their weight, and I have no idea what the dosage would be for Crumbs at such a light weight.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

I'm sorry, it was 0.4ml. I read the syringe wrong.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Do split the Metcam into two doses, and add just a bit. For instance, I add about 10% to each dose. If I'm supposed to give 0.4 ml once a day, I'll give 0.21 or .22 twice a day. Metacam has a range of dosage, so adding just a little isn't a problem.

It just will NOT last 24 hours for pain control, I don't care what the manufacturer says.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Do split the Metcam into two doses, and add just a bit. For instance, I add about 10% to each dose. If I'm supposed to give 0.4 ml once a day, I'll give 0.21 or .22 twice a day. Metacam has a range of dosage, so adding just a little isn't a problem.

It just will NOT last 24 hours for pain control, I don't care what the manufacturer says.

Thanks for that @bpatters , little Crumbs is having a tough go.

On another note, hope all is well in your end of the map. Your weather is not the happiest right now. Glad to see you back.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave

Good luck with little Crumbs. She's a fighter, and so are you. I just wanted to share my guinea pig anesthesia experience. I had two boars neutered last year. Same vet, same anesthesia protocol. The first one was completely normal when I picked him up. The second one two weeks later came home wobbly and didn't move for two days, but he ate and ended up recovering fine. He was smaller and even though he got less of the drugs, I still think it takes smaller pigs longer to get it all out of their systems.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Pigs, like people, react differently to medications. Some will act like they haven't had any medication at all, others will be zonked out for quite a while.

@Guinea Pig Papa, thanks for asking. We were without internet access for about 24 hours, and I won't be surprised if we lose it again. The wind has really died down, but we're due for FIVE days of thunderstorms and severe thunderstorms, and over 20 inches of rain. I'll be very surprised if we don't have some flooding.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Good luck with little Crumbs. She's a fighter, and so are you. I just wanted to share my guinea pig anesthesia experience. I had two boars neutered last year. Same vet, same anesthesia protocol. The first one was completely normal when I picked him up. The second one two weeks later came home wobbly and didn't move for two days, but he ate and ended up recovering fine. He was smaller and even though he got less of the drugs, I still think it takes smaller pigs longer to get it all out of their systems.
I'm glad you posted this, I really think wigglemish needed to hear this from someone who had a similar experience, and know that things will be ok

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

Crumbs doesn't seem so hot. Still flat out. Last feed the enthusiasm was gone. Managed 13 syringes and then I stopped because I was concerned it was becoming dangerous. I've given her 0.1ml of Metacam, she seems beyond miserable.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Give her time @wigglemish, she probably is beyond miserable. Keep at it, you're doing fine and she needs you so much right now. Keep fighting.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

Is she pooping at all?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave

She did say earlier that she was pooping lots and seeing as well.

wigglemish

Cavy Slave

DSC_0118[1].jpg

Pooping lots, yes, this is the last 2.5 hours work. I am changing the flannel under her every time I get her out to feed her, seeing a few big wees as well

Last feed was a little bit better, she chewed better this time. Also tried to pull herself up to the side of the bowl I sit her in (lined with a blanket) to feed her. She couldn't manage it, but I could see those little hindquarters working. She made a lot of whingey noise when I lifted her up to take her home.

Still won't eat on her own. I keep trying, leaving it there, but the little ones keep scoffing it >.< Not even fresh grass is tempting her atm.

Wish I had given her more metacam earlier. I only gave her 0.1ml because I didn't know how much she'd had in the injection, and then I saw GPP's and Bpatters posts... Stupid, I have been giving her 0.4 split into two doeses for days before this. I should have given her more.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.