Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Fungal infection?

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
Ok. So when I was holding my guinea pigs I noticed that the skin on their feet it looked like it was peeling, and I looked it up and it looks like they have a fungal infection on their feet and a few eye crustys on one of them. I know that eye crustys can mean a uri but, there is no funny breathing or sneezing. What should I do for my pigs? I put some coconut oil on their feet. My parents don't have money for a vet right now so anything that I could just pick up at like walmart would be awesome! P.s. The reason I can't take them to the vet right now is that their is a emergency. My moms water broke at like 2am this morning and my soon to be little sis isn't supposed to be here for another 2 months!

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
Any help would be appreciated.....

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
Okay. Now it is an emergency! My little sister who just turned 2 today got ringworm over night from my guinea pigs!!!! My dad is going to take her to the doctor today but, I don't want any of my other siblings to get it!! @bpatters or anybody would help me with this would be greatly appreciated!

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
is Clotrimazole safe to put around the eye?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Clotrimazole is one of the medications listed on guinea lynx as safe (read this link if you haven't already https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html ) on their skin if used sparingly and rubbed in well to prevent them ingesting any while grooming themselves. If they were to get any into their actual eye on the other hand no it is not safe, so if you are going to use it you need to be extremely careful.

Also don't jump to conclusions, your sister might not have caught ringworm from the pigs at all. Your father should certainly mention to the doctor that you suspect one of your pets has a fungal infection so they are aware and can test for it. You can catch fungal infections from anywhere in the environment, or what she has might not even be a fungal infection.

ETA: Could you perhaps take some photos of the areas on your guinea pigs you suspect have a fungal infection so we can get an idea of the extent of the issue.

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
My dad has a cruddy camera. and it looks like the skin on their feet is peeling.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.