Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grids Head stuck in grids

Jennifer Potash

Cavy Slave
Oh my god!!
I just had the MOST traumatizing experience ever!
This was my second time putting my three pigs for floor time (on my bed room floor) and it was fine for the first ten minutes. But, my piggy Tessa (who has always been scared and timid) saw her C&C Cage and put her head through it and she was stuck for about two minutes and she was screaming! I yelled for my dad to cut the cage so we can get her out, and we did... But is there anything else we can do to prevent this? I made the cage myself, and bought the grids from Bed Bath and Beyond, there's nine grids per cube... I cannot afford to buy a new cage... What should I do?

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
Was this a young pig?

Babies and young pigs should have a gard over the grids. Usually extra coroplast or cardboard about 10" high will work until she is older and can no longer stick her head through the grids.

ginipigsinspace

Cavy Slave
How old is your pig? Can you afford a second set of grids? I know one of the recommendations for baby-proofing a C&C cage is to overlap grids so the holes are smaller.

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
Are your pigs babys if so you have to baby proof the cage until they are adults. I don't know much about baby proofing so mabye someone like [MENTION=30060]pigger123[/MENTION] who has baby piggies can help you.

Jennifer Potash

Cavy Slave
She's about 4 months old closer to 4 and a half months. And I have several extra grids if that's what you mean

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Extra grids work if they are over lapped or extra coroplast or cardboard put up to about 10" high. You will need this at least until 6 months or her head grows bigger than the holes.

Jennifer Potash

Cavy Slave
Extra grids work if they are over lapped or extra coroplast or cardboard put up to about 10" high. You will need this at least until 6 months or her head grows bigger than the holes.
Do you mind linking me to a site where I can buy coroplast? I've been using an alternative (wood, stuffing, shower curtain, towels and then the fleece) but I think it's time to buy some

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
in my opinion it is more easier and cheaper to buy it from a sign store. If you give what city or state you live in Im sure people will help you find a sign store that is close to you or in the search bar you could type where to buy coroplast and plenty of threads will come up about where to get coroplast.

Jennifer Potash

Cavy Slave
I live in Hollywood, Florida

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
Lowes and Homedeopot both carry it in their glass and plexiglass section 4x8 sheets. ONly in white.

Jennifer Potash

Cavy Slave
I went to home depot and Lowe's and they said they onky had the coroplast for garage sale signs

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
I went to home depot and Lowe's and they said they onky had the coroplast for garage sale signs

Yes that is what they say, but that is not true of most stores. Including my local one. When asked they don't have it. When I buy it online and choose "pick up in store" they miraculously have it. It took me a while to figure out what section it is in. It is in the glass and plexiglass section, 3x6 sheets.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/COROSPL...-in-Twinwall-Plastic-Sheet-COR-3672/202771364

Alternatively here are some sign shops in your area that might sell you a large sheet of coroplast. Just call and ask. Also ask for the price of the sheets, some shops get snobby about their coroplast and really up-charge it. You should pay around $20 for a full sheet (more for colors).

https://www.google.com/search?q=hol...la:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

Jennifer Potash

Cavy Slave
How many should I buy? I have 2x4 cage

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
One should do a 2x4 C&C cage.

Jennifer Potash

Cavy Slave
Thank you so much!!!! Should I do anything for Tessa? She isnt hurt and she's eating. Thank you all so much.

Inle_Rabbit

Cavy Gazer
As long as she is fine I wouldn't worry about it.

daisy1cow

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
You don't need extra coroplast, its expensive. Do you have extra fleece? Wash cloths? And a bunch of binder clips? Here is a pic of what I did to babyproof mine, worked wonderful. Put the fleece inside coming out and clip so it covers the inside squares. The second pic covers both inside and outside because it was a long piece of fleece.

CAM00280.jpgCAM00370.jpg

Jennifer Potash

Cavy Slave
You don't need extra coroplast, its expensive. Do you have extra fleece? Wash cloths? And a bunch of binder clips? Here is a pic of what I did to babyproof mine, worked wonderful. Put the fleece inside coming out and clip so it covers the inside squares. The second pic covers both inside and outside because it was a long piece of fleece.

View attachment 67587View attachment 67588
I don't use any coroplast now atm, I'm thinking of buying some

Noodles02

Cavy Slave
you could put her hidey hole on the floor with her when its floor time.. that way even if she doesnt want to run around she has somewhere to hide and feel safe and wont run for her cage?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.