Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine sow makes farting like sounds when urinating

pandaloki

Cavy Slave
It's also a little foamy, I can't tell if it's gritty or smooth since it doesn't want to stick to my finger, feeling it on the fleece it feels just like the fleece. It's cloudy ever since I had her. Compared to my other guinea pigs, when they urinate they only create reasonable sized puddles, but when she does it she urinates a lot, like she's leaking, it's either a really fast flow or it stops and go... like a sprinkler. Is this normal for them?

Sounds gross, I just find it strange. She's a a really strange piggy all in all, the only guinea pig I've known to attack my hands when it's time to clean the cage. Had her for months, she doesn't run away and comes when called so I guess shyness isn't the issue. May be she's scared of the dust pan because it smells like boar?

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
That probably warrants a vet visit. She might have a bladder infection. I've never had that issue. I know pigs pee is cloudy though.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Normal guinea pig urine is NOT cloudy, @madelineelaine. Cloudiness indicates either a urinary tract infection or excess calcium in the urine.

@pandaloki, I know you're not in an area with a lot of competent vets, but it does sound as though she needs a vet visit if you can find one that's good enough. The erratic urination sounds like a possible stone, one that sometimes blocks the urethra and sometimes not. If it gets lodged in the urethra, the pig can die a very painful death. That may not be the problem, but in any case, she needs to be seen.

pandaloki

Cavy Slave
nooooo I thought it was all okay since she never showed signs of pain. I also took her to the vet weeks after she was given to me for her general check-up and she was gaining weight fast so I thought she was pregnant. She looks pregnant, even the staff at the clinic thought she was. The vet examined her and told me that she eats too much (I give her the same amount of food I give to my other pigs). The way the vet examined her looked a little painful, he was pressing her belly to check for pups inside. She looked like a balloon being squished but she didn't make any sound or showed signs of discomfort, I was even amazed that she didn't bite.

Sadly I only know two exotic vets, one I don't really like so much, I've read a lot of negative reviews about him and had a really bad experience with him my self. I suspected one of my boars of having stones or UTI, on my 3rd visit (because urine in blood was an on and off thing for him ever since puphood) he told me that it's better to let my boar die instead of spending so much money treating him "you can always purchase a younger and healthier one" I didn't say anything and never ever would want to go back in there.
The other one is very reputable, same guy who examined my sow, but he's out of town, will be back next week.

I don't have much choice but to wait. The veggies I give them is low in calcium (green leaf, green bell peppers as staple. cucumber, carrots, apple, basil, and cilantro once in a while). I'm cutting down on the pellets since the only ones we have are alfalfa based.

Nix16

Cavy Slave
Maybe you could look at cutting out the pellets all together just until the vet gets back next week and ensure a good variety of low calcium veggies, and of course unlimited hay.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
@bpatters, oh, my pig looks like she has cloudy urine? Unless I'm seeing it wrong. I know one time she sprayed Felix with urine, it looked almost whitish. What could should there urine be? Not yellow, like ours, I assume?

PiggyDaddy25

Cavy Slave
@bpatters, oh, my pig looks like she has cloudy urine? Unless I'm seeing it wrong. I know one time she sprayed Felix with urine, it looked almost whitish. What could should there urine be? Not yellow, like ours, I assume?

Cember just finished peeing on me during lap time so I'm gonna go with clear. It looked like regular water, just warmer.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Clear to slightly yellow. Does it dry white?

lissie

Cavy Slave
The veggies I give them is low in calcium (green leaf, green bell peppers as staple. cucumber, carrots, apple, basil, and cilantro once in a while).

How much basil are you feeding, and how often? Basil is very high in calcium. Higher than parsley.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Sometimes it leaves white spots, but not normally, and if it does it's because they've had dandellion greens. They only get those a few times a month, if that.

@bpatters

pandaloki

Cavy Slave
I thought basil was okay. 4-5 leaves, 2-3 times a week.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I have an adult female and a 6 week old female in a cage together. When I give them their pigloos at night, the little one does zoomies and popcorns for a good 10 minutes or so which annoys Diglett. My husband and I were watching and laughing when all of a sudden Tinker Bell zoomed up behind Diglett only to get sprayed all over by Diglett. Her urine looked clear....... Poor Tinker Bell. She looked really dejected for about 30 seconds and then started zooming around again. She even popcorns in the pigloo which lifts it up a bit. Really funny.....

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
If she looks pregnant and is aggressive isn't that a sign of possible ovarian cysts?

GuineaPigs98

Cavy Slave
sort of cloudy- white colored.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I wouldn't worry about the amount of basil the pig is getting.

A little cloudiness in the urine can be normal, according to Guinea Lynx. https://www.guinealynx.info/normal.html

And yes, a pig with ovarian cysts can look pregnant.

mimijimi

Cavy Slave
@pandaloki Who is this vet who said that "you can always purchase a younger and healthier one"? (how dare he!). I hope he's not from VIP? I just want to make sure that I could avoid him. And the one who's reputable: are you referring to Doc Nielsen?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.