Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Anything else I need?

Mers Guineas

Cavy Slave
I feel like I have everything, but I don't want to forget anything. I want to make sure I have everything I need before I get my piggies.

I have -
A 2x5 C&C cage with 1x2 loft
Two water bottles
Two food bowls
I don't have food just yet, but I will be getting oxbow pellets for guinea pigs
Chews
Fleece
Bedding
Tunnels
Hay
Hay container thingy
Bin for litter tray
Toys

^ For main care (veggies not included, but will be fed)

For hygiene we have -
nail clipper
a dog/cat brush (two sided)
I have a shampoo for a dog, but I'm not sure we'll use that specific one. I don't plan to bathe them until later on (unless they are like super dirty)
Cat bed things for them to sit on outside of the cage

Anything else I need?

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
Have you decided what bedding your gonna use yet?

Mers Guineas

Cavy Slave
Have you decided what bedding your gonna use yet?

i am going to use fleece, have one bin with a cut out opening with kaytee clean and cozy

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
I use wood shavings [not pine ones though]
Chock's ok on them so have all my other pigs been...

Omgitspink

Cavy Slave
I think you're all set :) good luck with your new piggies!

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
Good luck with getting your piggies

Fantaziez

Cavy Gazer
I think you're good off, good luck!

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
You will need a dust pan and brush to sweep the poops :)

Fay

Cavy Slave
What are you using underneath the Fleece for absorption? The Kaytee stuff? As for a couple of other things you'll want to get:

- Dustpan and brush to make it easy to clean the fleece in between full cleanings.
https://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html - Kitchen scale and some kind of large-ish container to weigh your pigs with (very important for detecting early signs of illness!)
https://www.guinealynx.info/nails.html - Either Quick Stop, Styptic Powder or a Styptic Pencil in case you accidentally cut a nail too short (be careful to only apply it to the nail). Alternatively you can try Corn Starch or Flour.
https://www.guinealynx.info/supplies.html - I'd especially recommend the syringes in different sizes 1cc and 3cc.
https://www.guinealynx.info/vet_rural.html - I'd recommend getting some critical care and freezing it so it stays good longer, in case your pig stops eating it can make a HUGE difference if you can hand feed straight away while you wait to see a vet.
(broken link removed) - Pure vitamin C tablets are good to have on hand, do not get multivitamins or vitamins with other stuff added like gelatin etc. You can either just give the pigs the tablets as is since they might eat it or crush them and sprinkle it over their food if you believe they're not getting enough Vitamin C. https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html#c

Keep in mind you don't need to get ALL the medical stuff listed within the above links. I just figured I'd link them so you could see additional useful items you could consider obtaining. It's especially not as important if you live in a city with great access to exotic vets and pet stores. If you do live more rural it would be best to try to get as much of that stuff in as you can. That said, I would recommend at least getting the stuff I listed since you will probably find that you will need them eventually or they can end up being very important for your pigs well being.

and Finally, make sure you have A LOT of Timothy/Grass hay ready to feed them because it's incredibly how much of that stuff they go through! lol Good luck! and it's awesome that you've been preparing so much for them :eek: can't wait to see pigtures ;)

Last edited:

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
Also a little hand helled hoover is a good thing for catching any hay or other stuff coming out the cage
I have one for Chock and its great
He doesn't like the sound of it, he rumbles at it. He will get use to the sound the more its used.

Mers Guineas

Cavy Slave
What are you using underneath the Fleece for absorption? The Kaytee stuff? As for a couple of other things you'll want to get:

- Dustpan and brush to make it easy to clean the fleece in between full cleanings.
https://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html - Kitchen scale and some kind of large-ish container to weigh your pigs with (very important for detecting early signs of illness!)
https://www.guinealynx.info/nails.html - Either Quick Stop, Styptic Powder or a Styptic Pencil in case you accidentally cut a nail too short (be careful to only apply it to the nail). Alternatively you can try Corn Starch or Flour.
https://www.guinealynx.info/supplies.html - I'd especially recommend the syringes in different sizes 1cc and 3cc.
https://www.guinealynx.info/vet_rural.html - I'd recommend getting some critical care and freezing it so it stays good longer, in case your pig stops eating it can make a HUGE difference if you can hand feed straight away while you wait to see a vet.
(broken link removed) - Pure vitamin C tablets are good to have on hand, do not get multivitamins or vitamins with other stuff added like gelatin etc. You can either just give the pigs the tablets as is since they might eat it or crush them and sprinkle it over their food if you believe they're not getting enough Vitamin C. https://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html#c

Keep in mind you don't need to get ALL the medical stuff listed within the above links. I just figured I'd link them so you could see additional useful items you could consider obtaining. It's especially not as important if you live in a city with great access to exotic vets and pet stores. If you do live more rural it would be best to try to get as much of that stuff in as you can. That said, I would recommend at least getting the stuff I listed since you will probably find that you will need them eventually or they can end up being very important for your pigs well being.

and Finally, make sure you have A LOT of Timothy/Grass hay ready to feed them because it's incredibly how much of that stuff they go through! lol Good luck! and it's awesome that you've been preparing so much for them :eek: can't wait to see pigtures ;)

Under the fleece I am putting puppy pads (or newspaper). I already have a kitchen scale, but I'll make sure to grab some of the other things, especially the dustpan! Thanks!!

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Newspaper won't work under fleece because it's not absorbent. You can use puppy pads but it will be expensive.

Mers Guineas

Cavy Slave
Newspaper won't work under fleece because it's not absorbent. You can use puppy pads but it will be expensive.
We got 50 puppy pads for $10 and filled up the cage with 4. What else would you recommend other than puppy pads? How often should i replace the puppy pads?

lwpiggy

Cavy Slave
You will need a dust pan and brush to sweep the poops :)

And a large container to put them in lol:rolleyes:. You'll be surprised how much one piggy can produce in such a short space of time.

lwpiggy

Cavy Slave
I would go along with spy9doc. Cheap household items can make ideal toys, not forgetting a cardboard toilet roll holder which can be used both as a play thing and to hide treats and hay. I also have a large(ish) stone in my cage for the piggies to gnaw on.

ArcanaNoir

Cavy Slave
We got 50 puppy pads for $10 and filled up the cage with 4. What else would you recommend other than puppy pads? How often should i replace the puppy pads?

You could use uhaul furniture pads (the recycled denim ones, not the nicer-looking water resistant ones). I got one from my local uhaul shop for $7, so they're pretty cheap. Make sure you wash and dry it a couple times if you plan on cutting it to fit the cage, as they do shrink (and be prepared for a ton of lint the first few times you wash it!)

I don't know how often you'll need to change them though (I'm using wood pellets).

Fay

Cavy Slave

Uhaul blankets and Wood stove pellets are the most popular absorbent layers used on these forums. Puppy pads can work as well but it will be more expensive in the long term. There's also the option of towels but they will smell faster and stay wet.

PudgePig

Cavy Gazer
I switched to wood pellets because puppy pads start smelling too quickly for me. :) Also, if you use toilet paper tubes make sure to cut a slit down one side so they don't get their heads stuck in the tube.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.