Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Shavings Curse the shavings!!!

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
I spot clean both my guinea pig cages twice a day, considering Oreo is a messmaker, and there are four guinea pigs in the other cage. I deep clean about once a month considering how clean I like to keep it, but on to the issue, the shavings stick to my leggings (My go-to) and won´t come off. They just turn into lint in the dryer, and now my clothes are covered in lint! And of course, lint rollers don´t work when you really need them. Does anybody have any tricks that they use to minimize shavings sticking to clothing? Thank you! :rolleyes:

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
This is why I switched to fleece. Now I don't have paper bedding all over my floor and my stuff. Now I only have to worry about hay on my floor.

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
Yes, I use mostly fleece, but I keep bedding by the water bottles and hay racks bc those are their favorite spot to defecate and urinate, right next to the food. The bedding seems to absorb urine better, and it is easier to change.

JmBrown89

Cavy Gazer
Oh, as soon as I remembered how much I hated shavings. It was the nastiest. Especially if it was wet, it's terrible. So now I only use fleece. Without it, nowhere.

Demiba

Cavy Slave
I use fleece over wood pellets from Tractor Supply or Home Depot. Use them all over cage and in litter box. Last for 2 months at least in cage with no odor. Also have used fleece over Uhaul over wood pellets. No more shavings unless I travel. Huge savings also.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A 3-4 inch layer of pellets covered by fleece will last at least a year.

Demiba

Cavy Slave
For my girls, they picked up a pellet once and then realized it was not food, lol. As long as the pellets do not have any fuel additives they are safe. I get something like Lignetics Green Supreme Pellets from Home Depot and Tractor Supply.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Mine never ate them. They tasted them when I first switched to them, but quickly realized they weren't food.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
There is one other significant issue with wood shavings, especially if you have boars. They tend to get the shavings stuck on their penis and then can't retract the penis because the shavings get caught between the penis and the penile sheath. Now the poor boy can't retract his penis and it drags on the wood shavings. Must be mighty uncomfortable! :eek:hmy:

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
There is one other significant issue with wood shavings, especially if you have boars. They tend to get the shavings stuck on their penis and then can't retract the penis because the shavings get caught between the penis and the penile sheath. Now the poor boy can't retract his penis and it drags on the wood shavings. Must be mighty uncomfortable! :eek:hmy:

When I used paper bedding this happened a lot. I always had to check for bedding in their anal sacks. Now the most I have to do is make sure my sheltie-mix doesn't get things trapped in his long fur near his rear.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
You haven't been around the Forum long enough to know my story, so here goes. Back when I briefly used wood shavings, I had this very thing happen to one of my boars. Fast forward to around the end of 2019, I went into my local Petco to get some of the SoPhresh litter and out of the corner of my eye I spotted a cage with its inhabitant sitting up near the registers with a sign indicating that it was a surrender and up for adoption.

Upon a closer look, there was this beautiful adult black cavy and I immediately asked to hold him. Yep, you guessed it! Poor boy's penis was stuck in the "ready position" and he couldn't retract it. I wasted no time in asking for a q-tip and proceeded to take a tube of Aquaphor out of my hand bag and proceeded to clean Zip's penis and sheath.......right there. I don't think that they have ever forgotten me in that store!:rolleyes:

TheGuineaPigGal

Cavy Slave
You haven't been around the Forum long enough to know my story, so here goes. Back when I briefly used wood shavings, I had this very thing happen to one of my boars. Fast forward to around the end of 2019, I went into my local Petco to get some of the SoPhresh litter and out of the corner of my eye I spotted a cage with its inhabitant sitting up near the registers with a sign indicating that it was a surrender and up for adoption.

Upon a closer look, there was this beautiful adult black cavy and I immediately asked to hold him. Yep, you guessed it! Poor boy's penis was stuck in the "ready position" and he couldn't retract it. I wasted no time in asking for a q-tip and proceeded to take a tube of Aquaphor out of my hand bag and proceeded to clean Zip's penis and sheath.......right there. I don't think that they have ever forgotten me in that store!:rolleyes:

Haha, you gotta do what you gotta do though.

The only things I have ever had get stuck in the penile shaft was a piece of hay in Oreo

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.