Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

In Heat Is my Boar in Heat?

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Hello

So this behavior has been going on for a little bit... I'd say maybe just this week... a week and a half I think.

One of my boars, Flynn, who clearly is the more dominant one, has been humping my other boar. It is not like mounting, no, I can literally see Flynn extrude his penis and jab it into Bramley's rear end repetitively (sorry for the graphic text).

Now, I can assure you Bramley is NOT female. That is what confuses me. Why would Flynn try to mate with Bramley if he knows he's male? Is he in heat? This hasn't been going on for a long period of time and I heard that guinea pigs go into heat every month (I wasn't informed if it's only females that go into heat or if males do as well)... I've only witnessed this I think twice before... those periods didn't last long either. It was either a couple of days or maybe two weeks at most.

Do any of your guys' boars do this? I know it's nothing to worry about really, considering that Bramley can in no way get pregnant from Flynn. However, I'm curious as to see why Flynn is displaying this behavior and if it is seen by other piggie owners.

Thanks a lot!

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Another thing to add:

After a few seconds of it, Flynn gets off and tucks his head under himself. He seems to be licking, biting, or just cleaning his penis... I'm not sure. But then, when he's done, he tries to get on Bramley again. Sometimes Bramley will just sit there and other times he will run away (with Flynn at his tail) and squeak as if he's annoyed. Flynn will also rumble strut right before humping Bramley and when he is not successful, he shakes his head and popcorns... strange little fella lol

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I heard that guinea pigs go into heat every month (I wasn't informed if it's only females that go into heat or if males do as well).

No, boars don't go into heat.......only sows, and it can be anywhere from every two weeks to a month. I've only had one sow in years and her cycles weren't predictable. Poor little thing did have something that I can only describe as PMS! The day before she went into heat she would get cranky and whine at every little thing. And, oh yes, she would repeatedly corner her neutered cage mate and hump him as if trying to show him what to do.

I can't address your particular situation. Hopefully, someone else can give you some enlightening feedback.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
And, oh yes, she would repeatedly corner her neutered cage mate and hump him as if trying to show him what to do.

LOL. That made me laugh so much lol

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
It's boys being boys. They tend to settle down as they get older, but I have a three year old pair that still mount each other from time to time. I just laugh it off.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
I do t think (I hope) that CavyTV meant heat like that but yes, animals do get (sorry for this) horny! It's why vets will say after neutering/spaying, please keep away from the opposite sex. Real pigs are worst. I had a real pig (not guinea pig) and when she got in heat, she would hump my leg. Causing gouges in my legs from her tiny hooves. She knew I was human but didn't care. Maybe that's what's happening with your boar.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
It's why vets will say after neutering/spaying, please keep away from the opposite sex.

Just a slight correction here. Neutering an animal involves removing the testicles which are the source of testosterone and sperm. It takes a period of time for the testosterone levels to diminish AND for any remaining sperm to die off. After that period of time (about 4-6 wks. in cavies) it is perfectly o.k. to put them with females.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Oh I miss type that. Keep away for 24 hours. Sorry. You are correct.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Also, you keep a spayed female animal away from intact males for a while so they won't try to mate and injure her before she heals.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
Sigh, and think y'all get what I was aiming at. I can't remember the exact time period but the point, animals have a sex drive. I'm sorry, even after being fix because most of the hormones are in the brain and other organs that do not get removed.

if temperature is correct, this also cause animals to feel it's breeding season.

Again sorry. I'm not quoting facts but memory. My memory has been spotty but I know I'm in the right general direction at least.

Guinea2002

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
You Do Know Only Sows go in Heat Lol

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
I did not know that that's why I was asking if it was a possibility or not.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, [MENTION=39604]Shieme[/MENTION], most hormones are NOT produced in the brain, but elsewhere in the body. They usually act on the brain, but if the organ that produces them is removed, the hormone level drops and is no longer active in the body.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I'd also like to point out that mounting in guinea pigs is not a sexual behavior nearly as often as it is a dominance behavior. Neutered boars will still mount because they instinctively need to establish dominance in a herd. There is obviously a hormonal component because sows mount more when they're in heat, but hormones aren't the only reason they mount each other.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Yes, but like I said, this is not mounting. Mounting is just a guinea pig getting on another guinea pig's back, correct? One of my boars is HUMPING the other; his penis is sticking out and it looks like he's trying to MATE with Bramley. Surely, that doesn't count as mounting right? I've seen my boys mount one another and it's nothing like this. When they mount to establish dominance they just try to get on one another's backs but they don't hump...

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
What you describe is exactly what mine do, unless the one on the bottom knocks him off first. It's what they do. Don't worry about it as long as nobody is biting the blood out of anybody else.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Humping and mounting are the same thing, whether the penis is erect or not.

Are you sure Bramley is a male?

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Yes, I am positive he is male.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
@bpatters, Testosterone is the primary male sex hormone and an anabolic steroid. In men, testosterone plays a key role in the development of male reproductive tissues such as the testis and prostate, as well as promoting secondary sexual characteristics such as increased muscle and bone mass, and the growth of body hair.

thats a quote. If it was started in the testis then how does the hormone develop in an undeveloped organ. Yes there are more complicated answer than, "the brain" but I didn't think everyone cared about complicated theory. Next time I answer a question, I'll get more complex about how I answer. Sorry.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.