Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Piggy has white spots on his ear

maiteruiz

Cavy Slave
Hello,
I got a new baby guinea pig 2 weeks ago and I noticed that he has these kinds of white spots on the outside of his left ear. I don't know what it is but I think it could be a fungal infection and I honestly don't know what to do ? It doesn't spread that much but I'm still worried.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Can you post a picture?

It probably is fungal. You can get some Lotrimin at any pharmacy or grocery. Apply it twice daily with a q-tip and rub it in well.

maiteruiz

Cavy Slave
Can you post a picture?

It probably is fungal. You can get some Lotrimin at any pharmacy or grocery. Apply it twice daily with a q-tip and rub it in well.

IMG-5199.jpgIMG-5198.jpg

What do you think i should do im kind of getting worried...

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think you should do what I said in my earlier post. It's nothing to worry about, but you need to treat it.

maiteruiz

Cavy Slave
Thank you I'll try it and also I had another question , My piggy always scratches behind the same ear and earlier today he got a bunch of hair off of him and now he bleeds. I'm going to take him to the veterinary tomorrow but do you think it's some kind of parasite??

maiteruiz

Cavy Slave
Hello, I think it's mite too. I read your recommendations but on the product, there's a picture of a horse and also, if I only need to apply it behind one ear does it mean that the mites are only behind one ear?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can apply it behind both ears if you want. It spreads through the skin, so it doesn't really matter where you apply it. The recommended place behind the ear is because there's no hair there and there's better absorption.

The best thing to get is the 1% injectable or the .5% pour-on. Either would be applied by putting it behind the ear. The horse/cattle paste is VERY concentrated and hard to dilute for a guinea pig.

maiteruiz

Cavy Slave
Hello, thank you very much you have been very helpful and finally I saw what he had... They are fleas ! I found so many of them and I bought a treatment. For his ears I will go to the vet and apply betadin I'm so grateful for your help!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.