Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay All living things market medley

Mills123

Cavy Gazer
Has anyone tried all living things market medley Timothy hay? I was thinking of switching my girls over to it because at my local pet store it’s the same price as oxbow but there is more in the bag, however I’m a little worried because a lot of the time with animal products you get what you pay for. I was hoping someone has tried it and could let me know if it’s worth a shot to see if my girls like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

petluv

Cavy Slave
If you are looking for a discount and don’t mind buying in bulk, I’ve had great success with the Small Pets Select pellets, hay and litter. It is an online store and if you have Amazon prime delivery, there is no shipping costs for the huge boxes, so buy through Amazon if you have Prime. They have good quality products. There smaller bags are about the same price as Oxbow, but their large sizes are usually less. Now many on here will say don’t get anything but Oxbow. They’ve had more experience than me, so their opinion carries more weight. However, for my personal situation (a picky piggy) Small Pet Select seems to do just fine. My piggy would not eat Oxbow at all, but she LOVES the taste of SPS pellets and hay. They also have litter that is cheaper than stores if you buy in bulk.

LittleSqueakers

Cavy Slave
Has anyone tried all living things market medley Timothy hay? I was thinking of switching my girls over to it because at my local pet store it’s the same price as oxbow but there is more in the bag, however I’m a little worried because a lot of the time with animal products you get what you pay for. I was hoping someone has tried it and could let me know if it’s worth a shot to see if my girls like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many of us on this forum have learned to buy hay in bulk from online hay suppliers. Small Pet Select is a favorite, as is Kleenmama's Hayloft. Other suppliers you can check out are Oxbow, American Pet Diner, and Sweet Meadow Farms. Buying in bulk from online suppliers almost always gets you way better quality hay at a fraction of the price per ounce of what you will find in pet stores. Plus, you get the hay delivered right to your door and don't have to worry about making multiple trips to the pet store every week/month. When buying in bulk online, the biggest expense is nearly always the shipping cost, so look at multiple supply sources to determine which is going to be cheapest to ship to you.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Mills, if your local pet store is like ours, they match on-line prices. So if I want to buy something locally, I check prices on-line, then I check the stock in my local store so I know they have the products. Even the store website will be less expensive than the retail, but they honor the lowest price.

When I looked for All Living Things Market Medley Timothy it was $9.99 for 48 ounces. This is close in price to Oxbow Western Timothy which was $9.53 for 40 ounces. If it were me, I would try both.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Itsazoo's prices are roughly $4 per pound. You can buy 20 pounds of hay from SPS for about $2.25 per pound, or 60 pounds for about $1.30 per pound. You can get SPS hay even cheaper with coupons and/or standing orders.

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
@Mills123 Although the advice above is good, none of it applies to us here in Canada. There isn't really a good place to get hay online here.

However, in your other post you mentioned you lived by Rens Pet Depot. I highly recommend buying hay through them it's where I have bought hay for the past 7 years for my pigs.

They sell Oxbow in extended sizes, either 9lbs or 50lbs. It's so much cheaper per pound to buy a larger quantity of hay. Plus, they even have Oxbow hay onsale for 20% off until Valentine's day. A 50lb box sounds like a lot, but it will usually last a pair of pigs around 6-8 months and you don't have to worry about it going bad in that time. It's on sale for $63.99, which works out to about $1.28 a pound.

I checked Petsmart and the Market medley hay is $22.99 for 6 pounds which is about $3.83 a pound.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.