Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Ranger's Getting Neutered

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
My boy Ranger is getting neutered on October 12th. I got him to be a companion for my Rocky, but once Ranger hit puberty they started fighting and I eventually had to separate them when blood was drawn. That was about six months ago, and I was hoping Ranger would settle down once he got a little older, but that hasn't happened yet. Rather than house both boys alone, I've decided to put each of them with a group of girls. Assuming Ranger's surgery goes well, Rocky will get done two weeks later.I know that I will need to keep Ranger confined to a smaller cage for a couple of weeks after surgery and keep him on light colored bedding to monitor for any bleeding from the incision. I also know that I may have to hand feed for a couple of days if he won't eat due to the pain medication and/or antibiotics. Assuming his recovery is uneventful, he'll move in with his "harem" 3-4 weeks after surgery.Is there anything I'm missing as far as after care goes? I've had a couple dozen cats and two dogs neutered, but never a guinea pig, so I'm extremely nervous about the whole thing.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Thanks, [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] . I've read that link as well as every other source I can find. I'm probably worrying too much. I'm afraid I'll chicken out before the date gets here. One of the cat and dog hospitals in town has a certified exotic vet that comes in one day a week, so two weeks out was the earliest appointment I could get. My regular vet is over an hour away and charges around $350 each. The estimate here in town is $160-$170, and this doctor seems to know what she's talking about. She said she used to neuter guinea pigs "all the time" and has never lost one, so that was encouraging.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Ranger had his surgery this morning. They called and said he's fine and I can pick him up any time.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
We got home about 30 minutes ago. Ranger is alert and eating hay like there's no tomorrow. He wouldn't eat at the vet clinic, probably because he was scared. Now he's starving :)

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad it went well! Recover quickly, Ranger!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Don't be surprised if he feels worse tomorrow than he does today. Right now, he's still got pain meds in his system, and as the ones that they gave him at/after surgery wear off, he may not feel so well. Usually they start to feel/act normal about 36-48 hours after surgery.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Ranger's recovery has gone well so far. He's been eating, drinking, pooping, and peeing normally, and acting like his usual self. I am going to attach a picture of his surgery site and see if you guys think it looks normal. There is a small lump above the incision on the left side, but I don't know if it's just the suture material under the skin, or if it's the start of an abscess. Let me know what you think (those who have had males neutered before.) Thanks! 20161019_152524.jpg

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc I know you have had a few boars neutered. Does the picture in the previous post look like anything to worry about, or am I just being paranoid?

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Thanks for your reply. The area doesn't seem painful and it's not red or excessively warm. I'll keep watching it and make sure it doesn't look infected. I'm very paranoid about abscesses because I've heard it's so common. I'm having another one neutered next Wednesday so I'm thinking about taking Ranger for a recheck just for peace of mind.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Both of Ranger's incisions have opened back up and there was a piece of the internal suture material hanging out on one side. I clipped that and applied antibiotic ointment. I also just bought chlorhexidine so I can flush it when I get off work.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Keep a close eye on it. Sometimes pigs can have sterile (or even non-sterile) abscesses at a suture site. If you notice any redness/swelling/heat/pus/odor, then get him back to the vet.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I think it probably is an abscess. It's pretty swollen on one side, though i hhaven't seen any pus. I'm going to call the vet on Monday and see if they can fit him in. The exotic vet is only there on Wednesdays, but she said the other doctors can call her if necessary.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know that I'd ask for an appointment, I think I'd just tell them I'm coming in, and ask when is the best time. And if it gets bad tomorrow, you may need to see an ER vet.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Oh no, poor Ranger! Just as a point of reference Ferb's neuter cost included a 7-10 day post op check and all meds. He was on antibiotics for a week after his surgery. Dr. Carr did use a different method of neuter, she went in through Ferb's abdomen and somehow tucked everything up so he didn't have a scrotum anymore. But that must have been way more invasive. I'd be pounding down the vet's door Monday morning. I hope Ranger heals up quickly!

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
Oh, poor guy! I hope the vet gets him in ASAP. How's he doing today?

mjalred

Cavy Slave
I'm Little Leslie and I are praying for Ranger as welll!

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Thanks everybody for your prayers and well-wishes. Ranger is the same. I've been flushing the area and putting antibiotic ointment on it. The swelling looks like it might have gone down a little but we're still going in tomorrow to have it checked out. I think he needs oral antibiotics as well.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
This is what it looks like tonight:20161024_014729.jpg

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
The vet gave Ranger Baytril in case it is an abscess developing, and we go back on Wednesday when the vet that did the surgery will be there. I'll be going anyway to get another one neutered. But according to the vet we saw today, he didn't have a fever so she doesn't think he has a bad infection.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.