Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Goodbye Quee, aka Big Pig

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
We had the vet put Quee to sleep this morning. Last night she started making these painful strained squeaks, so we put her in her own cage to keep an eye on her. When we woke up today, she hadn't pooped, so we took her to the vet. It turns out she had a giant bladder stone (like, big even by human standards), and required $400 surgery plus medications to remove it, and the vet said it would be a very risky procedure even on a younger, healthier pig.

Here's a photo of her X-ray. The white egg-shaped thing is the stone, which caused her a lot of internal blockage and pain, as well as some bleeding.

4zsalKP.jpg

She was 7 years old, and the vet said she couldn't deny it was a very risky procedure even on a younger healthier pig. So we had the option of bringing her home with some pain meds and try to keep her comfortable until she died, or just get it over with and let it happen quickly. So we said our goodbyes and they're going to bury her.

She was a cranky old bitch even at the best of times. She despised being petted, held, touched, looked at, or otherwise interacted with in any way other than being handed food that she would grab and run off with. But today at the office today she was uncharacteristically peaceful (or just too weak to fight, but let me keep my delusion!), and it was sad to let her go.

She is survived by Kwee (aka Little), Curly, Cuddles and Kelly, who will hopefully give us many more years before putting us through this again. Godspeed, Big Quee, and may you chatter and nip at everyone else in pig heaven.

T4Qu2.jpg

Rhinos_mom

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost mine a couple of days ago to a stone too. Much love and support through this difficult time

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry to hear about your girl.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry, [MENTION=21775]Mastershroom[/MENTION]. I feel like I've known your pigs personally through your photos and comments. Losing them to stones is awful. I got my Diglett off craigslist and lost her within a year from stones. She was scheduled for surgery but passed before it. I know Quee had a wonderful life with you. My herd and I send our condolences.....

alphilip77

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss. I think it's awesome that you took in an older pig and gave her a home. Even though she wasn't with you her whole life, 7 years is remarkable for a guinea pig. I know you made the best possible choice with her well-being in mind and I have no doubt she is grateful. You'll see her again someday though. Take comfort in that you gave her a loving, caring home during this difficult time. RIP Quee.

ChristyAnne

Cavy Slave
awww, i am so very sorry to hear about ur loss...

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I am so sorry for your loss.

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
Ah....so sorry for your loss! Wasn't she your original cavy?
Yes, she was the one we took in from our friend who was moving out of state.

Thanks to all of you for the kind words. I think the other 4 pigs have figured out Big isn't coming back, because it's been a free for all mounting orgy for the past day or so. I hope they figure out who's in charge soon. lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.