Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior How would my boys do with a female in the room?

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I finally rearranged my piggy room and have a full wall to do anything I want with! :)

Since I had space I moved my foster boys into the room. They are in a larger cage now (2x4) but they really need wider so I will be doing this tomorrow.

My female, Cookie is still in the living room. I would like to move her to the piggy room as well; but I am not sure how the other boys would do with her in there.
She is possibly pregnant since she was kept with the foster boys in a tiny tank for 3-4 weeks together. Judging by the way the foster boys would react when I held her during lap time few times I am not so sure now.. One of them was screaming for her! Cookie, of course didn't want anything to do with the boys and was happy munching away on her carrot. ;)

If I did move her cage to the piggy room, what would be the safest way? I was thinking I could put her cage on a table so it would be impossible for any of my boys to get to her (9 boys in that room at the moment!!).

Would this make my other pairs have issues with each other if she does go into heat?

Once we figure out if she is pregnant she will be getting spayed and going with my solo boar. I believe this is the best way to insure that I never have to worry about her possible being pregnant again!
Thanks all!

iluvguineapigs2

Cavy Slave
I have heard that boars will fight if they smell a sow.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
@iluvguineapigs2, I have heard this as well. Would to know if anyone has had any luck with this, though.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Yes boars are likely to fight in the presence of a female.

jubespiggies

Cavy Slave
It really can depend on how close your male guinea pigs are. If they have been together for a long time and are very close, they may not fight. But if there is long-going agression, they are far more prone to fight.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
My boys are in a 3x8 divided by a grids (making them 2 3x4s)
My girls are in a 2x4 that sits directly beside one section of the boys cage.

My boys have never reacted differently with them in the room. But the boys are not in the same cage either.
And my boy whose cage is right beside the girls.... no interest in them whatsoever.
The ladies go over and sniff things out sometimes but I have never had any issues.

Pawesomepet

Cavy Slave
It depends on your piggies personalities it might stir up some things but I've got 7 females in the same room as my 4 males and my pair of males are fine with it and always have been!

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Thanks all! Love hearing your replies :) I have 4 pairs in that room right now, including the foster boys. The young boys are still at the bratty stage with each other will rumble at one another but that's about it. My older pairs are perfectly fine and pretty bonded.

PaisleysPiggies

Cavy Slave
I have all of my guinea pigs in one spare bedroom. When Oliver and Pip were paired (RIP Pip), they never fought over the smell of girls. Oliver was the dominant pig so he would rumble around the cage, but he did that when they were in my bedroom too. They were paired from when they were 5-6 weeks old though, so it might have to do with that. I would say if they are well bonded, it shouldn't really bother them. On some youtube videos I see, the person has stacked cages with girls on the bottom and boys on the top so they don't smell them as well. I'm not sure if that helps or not though?

Amalee

Cavy Slave
Hmm...It might be a little dangerous to just put a girl in a room of 9 boys. My first suggestion is to wait until you find out if she is pregnant, and then get her spayed and keep her with your solo boar (not sure where he is right now?) I think being in a room with 9 other male guinea pigs might be stressful when giving birth, and what if she has a big litter of girls? How would they react then?

Also, if you DO decide to put her in the room, consider separating the boys with grids, so if any fighting happens, you'll be able to pin-point which boy it's coming from and there'd be less chance of injury.

edcaguy

Cavy Slave
I have 3 females and 2 males in a 2x6 and they still at time argue they don't fight. The 2 males I mean, but I think with the cage bing large and also with a loft it helps. Had females since 2/22/13 & males since 3/25/13.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've always had my guinea pigs in one room. I currently have 3 pairs. Two female pairs and a male pair. One of the males is neutered, although none in the other male pairs I've had have been neutered. None of my males have ever fought. In fact, my male pairs have been some of my most bonded pairs.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
I have 3 females and 2 males in a 2x6 and they still at time argue they don't fight. The 2 males I mean, but I think with the cage bing large and also with a loft it helps. Had females since 2/22/13 & males since 3/25/13.

You have your males neutered, I'm guessing? You are lucky to be able to keep 2 males WITH females! That is rare!

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Hmm...It might be a little dangerous to just put a girl in a room of 9 boys. My first suggestion is to wait until you find out if she is pregnant, and then get her spayed and keep her with your solo boar (not sure where he is right now?) I think being in a room with 9 other male guinea pigs might be stressful when giving birth, and what if she has a big litter of girls? How would they react then?

Also, if you DO decide to put her in the room, consider separating the boys with grids, so if any fighting happens, you'll be able to pin-point which boy it's coming from and there'd be less chance of injury.

Judging by all the replies I've gotten my boys may or may not fight. I think it is totally worth trying.
I think just being around other pigs and hearing them will benefit her instead of being solo out in the living room for a few more months.
She would be high and there would literally be no way of my boys getting to her.. ever. I got her in this condition- didn't plan on it, trust me.. I do not want her to be possible pregnant, in fact I am truly hoping she isn't.

If she is pregnant I will take her out of that room and move her back into the living room just to keep an eye on her better. She hasn't shown any signs of being so yet, but I am watching closely.

Of course my solo boy is by himself in his own cage and NOT with Cookie... Cookie is solo and will remain so until she has babies and/or gets spayed and heals.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.