Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Plexiglass

Sorcha

Cavy Slave
So I'm considering using Plexiglass instead of the grids. I can get it cheaper and I just prefer the way it looks.
My question is how tall should the walls be? The sheets I'm probably going to get will be 16 inches tall. Will I need to cut them down?
Any tips on what I should use to seal/bind the pieces together. The sheets are 16X20 in. and I'm making a 2X5 cage.

Sorcha

Cavy Slave
I'm pretty sure I need to cut it down so the walls are maybe around 9 inches. I'm just not sure if the ventilation will be ok if I leave the walls as is.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Plexiglass doesn't seem like a good choice to me because it's generally thinner than coroplast and also generally a lot more expensive. But, if it's what you're set on using, the only thing I can think of to hold together several 16x20 inch pieces would be some sort of duct tape and I'm not sure that would look all that great. Also, I'm not sure it wouldn't leak. Depends on how you do it, I suppose, but it seems to me that it'd be a lot more of a hassle to patchwork pieces together than just buy a larger sheet and cut it down (or in the case of plexiglass, have it cut down for you).

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
You should look though the C&C alternate cages. I would think if you were going to use plexi over grids you would need a wooden base to screw the plexi pieces to so that it didn't look like plexi taped together.

I tried to use plexi in my wooden cage and the plexi was hard to work with. It broke and shattered. I think using acrylic over plexi would be a better but much more expensive choice.

Sorcha

Cavy Slave
I would be using the plexiglass for the walls not as the base. I already have the coroplast for that.
To get the grids that most people use I'd have to order them and everywhere I've looked I have to pay shipping and handling which is going to add on to the cost. Even at Sears you have to spend about $80 to get free shipping and handling. So I've been looking into alternatives. Like I said I'd be concerned with ventilation.
I also wondered about using the cage wire at Tractor Supply Co. that they have for rabbit cages. I just don't know what I'd put at the corners to help stabilize it and keep the shape.

Sorcha

Cavy Slave
Or if the shipping is free then the cubes are about $30-$50.
I've checked Target, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, Linens and Things, Bed Bath and Beyond, Kmart, Office Max, Staples.

Last edited:

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Or if the shipping is free then the cubes are about $30-$50.
I've checked Target, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, Linens and Things, Bed Bath and Beyond, Kmart, Office Max, Staples.
U can get the grids shipped into the store at Walmart for free. I am sure some of the other stores offer that 2!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Plexiglass is a LOT more expensive than grids. You can get 16 grids for about $22 from Walmart, free shipping to the store. Or use closet shelving -- I like the way it looks better than grids.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Not only that, plexiglass looks good initially, but it scratches and stains and gets cloudy very easily. Even if used just for walls. You are not going to like it in the long run. And it is very expensive and heavy. It can crack and break. It's very hard to cut, you have to have it professionally cut to size - $$. And of course, it's not good for the guinea pigs to have solid walls that are high enough to be safe. Blocks too much air flow.

lissie

Cavy Slave

pinky

Cavy Slave
Look on Craigslist, freecycle and Goodwill stores. I got 46 and only spent $10 ($5 at Goodwill and $5 from Craigslist)

lissie

Cavy Slave
I also want to add if you want to use plexiglass, it would need to be at least 1/8 inches thick, and preferably 1/4 inches thick. These run at about $4 - $6 per sq.ft. You would need 12.25 sq.ft if your side is 9 inches high, and 21.77 sq.ft if your side is 16 inches high.

Sorcha

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the input guys. I have decided against plexiglass. I have 1 more store to check about grids and if I don't find them I'll probably be ordering them from a store. I thought you had to pay for shipping at Walmart, but when I looked back I saw that was for shipping to your house :eek:.
I probably will look at using wire shelving though.
So the walls will be grids or wire shelving.

Nix16

Cavy Slave
I have used wire shelving and it's so much quicker to work with, it cost more (but I couldn't get grids at the time anyway) I've since bought some grids, but my first wire shelving cages took about 20 minutes each to make including the coro bases.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.