Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Washing Fleece

Sorcha

Cavy Slave
Ok so I just bought fleece and had a few questions.
I know I should wash it about 3 times before I use it and not to use fabric softener. We use the Purex Natural Elements detergent and as far as I know it doesn't softener in it, but I wanted to see if anyone knew for sure.
When I'm washing it the 3 times do I put in vinegar or do I only use that after the guinea pigs have been using the fleece?
Also after I start using the fleece when it's time to wash it how much vinegar do I put in with the detergent?
Is it better to let is air dry if possible instead of putting it in the dryer?

Dee_E

Cavy Slave
I washed mine 3 times before use and use vinegar to clean after Piggy use. I choose to air dry as it is cheaper.

Sorcha

Cavy Slave
I washed the fleece 3 times. Then I washed it a 4 time with vinegar, because I was told it would help to break the water barrier. So it kind of works now, but not quite. When I was getting the cage ready the water bottle started dripping and the water was puddling. I poked at the puddle and after a bit the water went away.
So do I just need to wash it again?
I was going to try washing it in hot water and let it air dry, because we do use fabric sheets. Is there anything else I can try?

Cocoacavy

Cavy Slave
Sorcha, don't worry about washing it again before you use it; one time like that won't be a problem (You'll wash it after you use it.. I'm sure.)

I wouldn't worry about it. I've had my fleece for over a year now and not once in it's life have I added vinegar in it's washing's. I don't seem to have any problems... So neither should you.
Let me know if you need any other help:)
Best of luck,
Cocoacavy

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
@Sorcha

The fabric sheets are definitely the problem. Don't wash pig laundry with anything like that. No fabric softener, sheets, dryer bars, etc. Dish soap, vinegar (maybe) and water is really all you need. I normally put my stuff in the dryer. But today I might bring it outside because it's nice and fresh out.

Sorcha

Cavy Slave
Is there anything I can try to remove the residue from the dryer? I didn't use the sheets when I was washing the fleece.

Sorcha

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to say the 4 wash after they had used the bedding did the trick. I tested the fleece last night and it wicked through a giant puddle of water pretty much instantly. Happy dance (which I may or may not have done last night :eek:).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.