Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Enough hay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
@Owned by cavy She already left them there.

Edit: [MENTION=26015]Ashleypikachu[/MENTION]I hope they're alright when you return. Can your dad check on them while you're gone or is he going with you?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
OH come on' my gosh they arent going to get sick in 5 days and hay will last them up to a week

1. You don't know how many pigs she has so there's no way for you to know if the amount of hay left will last them up to a week.
2. You don't know that they won't get sick in 5 days. Guinea pigs can go downhill overnight, especially if there is no one to watch over them.

And dont worry about not getting veggies, do wild pigs get there veggies everyday?? NO

Any animal that lives in the wild can look for food in their natural environment. Guinea pigs are in a cage and are limited to what is within the confines of their cage. It's a flawed comparison.

i left my bunnies for 1 week and the were great when i came back
Neglectful ownership is not something you want to brag about.

but for the 5 days you may want to give them bedding instea of fleece, because you wont be able to sweep it out everyday
1. Fleece IS bedding
2. Loose bedding gets just as dirty over 5 days as fleece

I would get about 4 bottles for them
Again, not knowing how many pigs she has, it would be impossible for you to say how many water bottles would suffice. Also, water bottles leak. Coming home to empty water bottles and dead pigs is not something anyone wants to experience.

getting a pet sitter is best but they will be fine if you dont
Wrong.

AND PLEASE do not start argueing with me as this is my opinion and i have done it tons and tons of times just because you have been on this forum longer then me does NOT mean you have more animal expierience i do not want to hear how i dont know anything, if you are going to reply to this comment i prefer it to be an addition to this comment or constructive critism
Maybe work on doing some research about guinea pig care rather than giving your un-informed opinion about guinea pig care as advice.

So ya this is my opinion but you should really think about what is best for your piggies
To the OP, what is best for your piggies is NOT taking SMMJesssee's advice.

Ashleypikachu

Cavy Slave
I have 2 piggies and no my dad and mom are coming with me though my mom says if I want we can call her cousin whose datuders are my best friends and love looking after them and she will ask her is she can come and check on them I feel like crying I want the best for my piggies but I can't bring them with me they have been alone for 5 days before and they were fine they have 2 bowls of pellets and 2 large carrots and 2 water bottles

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
@SMMJesssee That is a lot of misinformation.

I want to touch on a few things for the OP.
Yes you may leave enough hay and maybe even water but you are depriving them of proper nutrition. You are more or less after the firs 24-48 hours giving them a pelletless diet but with a huge down side, the lack of veggies. I would suggest you read the following:

https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=82
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=86
https://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=124

What you are planning to do (have done) is not responsible. You may have gotten lucky the first time but I have seen a pig perfectly find one night and horribly sick the next. If that happens in 5 days you could come home to a emergency or worse, a death. Even getting someone to just come once a day and check on them, top up their food and water is better than nothing. This could be another family member, a friend or a neighbor. Please do not leave your pigs alone that long with out proper care.

Ashleypikachu

Cavy Slave
I know I can't do anything I guess next time I could leave them a bunch of vegetables I will give them a lot when I get back though but there's nothing I can really do I don't even have the opinion to choose rhater I go or not

T_Licious

Cavy Slave
To the OP, what is best for your piggies is NOT taking SMMJesssee's advice.

Agreed! It seems like some people enjoy flaunting their inappropriate "advice" and poor pet care.
The whole "I did it before and it was fine" really grates my nerves. It's like people saying they rode around in a car with no seat and turned out just fine. Of course you did, but you never hear from the kids who didn't because well, they died.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I know I can't do anything I guess next time I could leave them a bunch of vegetables I will give them a lot when I get back though but there's nothing I can really do I don't even have the opinion to choose rhater I go or not
The point is, don't do that next time. Make plans to have someone come once or twice every day and feed them veggies, give them fresh water, etc. Or have them boarded at your local rescue/vet.
Even if you leave them lots of veggies next time, chances are those veggies aren't going to last the whole five days. Honestly they probably wouldn't last 3 days.

Ashleypikachu

Cavy Slave
Yea I will try to find out the cost or maybe my moms cousin can come and give them veggies today or tomorrow thanks hopefully they will be fine I was thinking of setting up a camera to record them and see how their doing but I don't usually travel maybe once a year or once every 2 years

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Alternately, even if there are enough veggies to last 5 days, unrefrigerated veggies can start to spoil. It's just not a good situation, any way you slice it.

As others have said, it's best to have someone come over each day to feed the pigs refill water bottles, give fresh veggies, top off the hay, check to make sure they are not in distress.

Setting up a camera is all well and good to see your pigs but if you see something going wrong or if you see they are out of food, there is nothing you can do about it just seeing it on camera.

Ashleypikachu

Cavy Slave
Well I wanted to set up a camera so if I see something wrong I can call my moms cousin and she will come

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
If she can come then maybe just have her come once a day anyway.

Ashleypikachu

Cavy Slave
I am going to see if she can come today or tomorrow and the rest of the days

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Maybe in exchange for her coming over to help your piggies, you can offer to do chores for her when you get back. It might help in persuading her!

Ashleypikachu

Cavy Slave
Okay my mom says she will call her later and ask cause she's at work

Ashleypikachu

Cavy Slave
Well she lives like 30 or 40 minutes away and her daughters do theirs chore but they will come cause last time she said if I need her just ask cause they loved taking care of them

Okiesmokes

Cavy Slave
I'm glad you found someone to that can keep an eye on them for you. I would also like to suggest that you tell this person to give them leafy green veggies such as romaine lettuce. Carrots should be given in moderation.

It seems as though you aren't old enough to completely make your own decisions in your household concerning your pets, so I understand that you were unable to board them somewhere while you are away. Just try to be more prepared/responsible next time by making arrangements with someone to come check on them ahead of time. Even if you only leave once or twice a year.

I do hope everything goes well and you have a nice time on your trip.

Ashleypikachu

Cavy Slave
Thanks I told my mom to make sure to tell them to give the piggies veggies

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
i left my bunnies for 1 week and the were great when i came back

I must say I'm kind of shocked. My bunny needs daily care. The longest I would leave my pets is overnight.

What if there was a flood? A fire? What if the air conditioner/heater broke? What if all the water bottles malfunctioned and your pigs were sitting in a flooded cage? What if someone broke into your house and left the door/window open and some type of predator (raccoon/dog/opossum/etc) got into the house?

Ashleypikachu, I am so glad someone will be checking up on them.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
@CavyMama

that was a wonderful post.

Just because you left them for 5 days before doesn't mean they'll be fine.

Honestly it makes me sick to my stomach to see SMS Jessie come on here and flaunt about her awesome ownership skills when she just isn't doing the right thing.

I went to new Brunswick for a week. I had my neighbour come over the day before so I could give her the pages I had written out. I showed her where everything was, and off I went. The pigs had a huge mountain of pellets when I came home, and a dirty cage, but at least they were taken care of better then if I had left them all alone.

I can't even imagine.

Carissa6729

Cavy Slave
What if there was a flood? A fire? What if the air conditioner/heater broke? What if all the water bottles malfunctioned and your pigs were sitting in a flooded cage? What if someone broke into your house and left the door/window open and some type of predator (raccoon/dog/opossum/etc) got into the house?

My parents went out of town when I was a younger teen for 4 days and left me home to take care of the dog with a friend of mine. Sure enough, the same day they left, within hours, the air conditioner broke. This was in Phoenix, in the middle of the summer, and anybody who deals with 115+ temps regularly knows a fan ain't going to cut it. I had a big black Bouvier that I had to basically keep in the bathtub, feed ice and try to keep cool to keep from dying that day until the repairman could come the next day. And yes, he could have died from heat stroke, easily, so could I for that matter but that wasn't my concern.

People don't think these things could happen or that it's unlikely, think again. It does and can happen and just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it won't. Why take the chance?

Just for the record though,to the OP, we're here to help! If you had any doubts or questions about leaving them behind, you could have posted earlier in the week and we could have given you the best advice for your situation. I'm happy that you acted fast and can get somebody to check up on them though!

Status
Not open for further replies.