Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners Sewing Instructions and Tips please

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Hey guys! I am finishing up the new cage for the girls, looking good so far yay! Next I need to sew some liners and pads for their cage. I only have about a week to do so, as I'll be heading back to school full time :)sorry:). I got my machine on Christmas and have made one good pee pad and one not so good one hehe. I have a few questions to all you sewing pros out there. :)

1. How do I measure and cut the fleece in straight lines? I wasted so much trying to make the two pads I have done already...

2. For the inner stitching on a large pad (so the absorbant layer doesn't shift) does anyone have tips on how to make it even on all the sides and such. My first pad had about 6 inches of space on one side and maybe 2 on another, it was bad haha. It's hard to tell where you are until it's too late...

3. Do they make legitimate "washable markers" that I could mark up the fleece, sew/cut it and it wash completely out?

4. I could really, really, I mean really use some simple instructions on how to make pads, liners, cozy cups and sacks, etc My common sense isn't doing me much justice so far.

Any other tips, or inputs on the topic would be fantastic too! I am a complete noob so don't get too technical on me guys :)

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Looking forward to hearing the responses to this question.
I would love to make liners. I have a sewing machine but can only make pillows and throws and can't read a pattern.
Not sure how much hope there would be for me LOL

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
I'm tackling my first big liner (5x2) this weekend with my mom, and I'm pretty sure it's not going to go all that great xD

CLV71

Cavy Slave
To make straight cuts go to a hardware store and get a carpenter's square.
038987001536xl.jpg
To mark the fleece for where to sew you can use chalk.

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
To make straight cuts go to a hardware store and get a carpenter's square.
038987001536xl.jpg
To mark the fleece for where to sew you can use chalk.

Great tip about the chalk.
I have ordered some reusable bed pads.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QSDFL4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?
ie=UTF8&m=A386LPJCDCXW9I

Anyone ever used these in their cage?

Next weekend I will have a try at making a liner for my boys new cage. If nothing else it will give me a reason to get the sewing machine out.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Chalk!? Genius!! :D
I'll have to find one of those metal things for measuring, I have a yard stick but it's not working well for me thus far...
I'm going to head over to the cozies thread and look for intructions, if I find anything good I'll post them here for you Kim37040 ( It's so weird to write my own name xP)

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
Chalk!? Genius!! :D
I'll have to find one of those metal things for measuring, I have a yard stick but it's not working well for me thus far...
I'm going to head over to the cozies thread and look for intructions, if I find anything good I'll post them here for you Kim37040 ( It's so weird to write my own name xP)

Thanks!
I also found this link earlier and it seems pretty easy to make.

Of course the squares and opening would need to be bigger for a guinea pig.

I am adding it to my list of things to make.

(broken link removed)

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
I have made liners for my own cages and have also sewed them for other guinea pig owners. When I first started out, tutorials were the best. Here are a few of my favorites:

Written by our own moderator @lissie: Cage Pad by Lis.

Another one: (broken link removed).

And I really want to make these, they look a lot like Piggy Bedspreads': (broken link removed)

CLV71

Cavy Slave
I make those. They are a pain. LOL Here are some I have made. I am a man that taught myself to sew so if I can do it anyone can.
100_1085.jpg

100_1044.jpg

Would guinea pigs like these?

CLV71

Cavy Slave
I have made liners for my own cages and have also sewed them for other guinea pig owners. When I first started out, tutorials were the best. Here are a few of my favorites:

Written by our own moderator @lissie : Cage Pad by Lis.

And I really want to make these, they look a lot like Piggy Bedspreads': (broken link removed)

Your last link didn't work. I hope you can fix it because I'd really like to see it.

CLV71

Cavy Slave
It works. Woot!!!

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave

I definitely think they would. Maybe add some extra batting or stuffing to the bottom (to make it more cushy), and maybe move the opening so it's more towards the ground and the guinea pigs don't have to jump in (the sesame street cube looks perfect as far as the opening goes), and I'm sure the pigs would love them! They are a little similar to Jens Custom Crafts' huts, in which my pigs spend all their time: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/64164-how-make-cage-liner.html. ❤️

Kim37040

Cavy Slave

Written by our own moderator @lissie : Cage Pad by Lis.

Thank you soooo much!
That is exactly what I needed!

Kim37040

Cavy Slave
I make those. They are a pain. LOL Here are some I have made. I am a man that taught myself to sew so if I can do it anyone can.
100_1085.jpg

100_1044.jpg

Those are great.
could you post instructions on how to make one?

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
You guys are so helpful! I have one other question though, how much larger than my cage base should a cut the liner to be? For example my base is 27" x 69" would I cut my mattress pad to be roughly 1-3" larger so it covers the corners well, or no? I do not intend on making sides, too advanced for me right now haha. Also, the mattress pad we bought is "cotton rich" and made of 65% cotton and 35% polyester, the top is 100% cotton though. Will this be fine for a liner? I got a King size so I can make two liners out of it.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I take newspapers and tape them into the size I want to cut my fleece and use it as a template. My pads have fleece on the outside and uhaul padding in the middle. I pin the newpaper template to the fleece and the uhaul pad and then cut them out. I pin everything together, without the template, before I sew. Fleece tends to stretch so pinning it keeps it in place.

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
I washed/dried the fleece 3 times before use and washed/dried the mattress pad once. The fleece shrunk ALOT which I found odd since it was from Joann's, but it was about 5.5" too short after the washings. So we imporvised and sewed a different kind of fleece (solid blue) to the patterned fleece, it looks great and we made it a bit big on purpose. This weekend we will tackle another one, and I'll sew up some pee pads next week.

I'm planning to get some Uhaul blankets in time, but they are such a hassle at first due to the massive amounts of lint! I want to try some pillows, cozy cups and sacks, tunnels, etc too I'm loving having a sewing machine! :D

Next I have to sort out the hay rack(s) and ramp issues... Then the cage will be officially completed! Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and links, MUCH appreciated and please keep em coming if you find anything!!

Kimberly713

Cavy Slave
Many pricks from the stinkin' pins and hours of hard work later... My first cage liner!! I'll admit my mom did most of it but I'm learning still :p

2011-12-30 22.34.14.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.