Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing Bathing my pregnant piggy

April2014

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone :)

My piggy April is approximately 7 weeks pregnant. She cleans herself everyday and she does not smell (maybe just a very mild piggy smell)
But lately, I have been applying a tiny bit of cream that my vet provided on her scabs because she was itching a lot. So her fur has gone a little bit greasy because of the cream (I play with her until it's dry to distract her)

Is it okay to give her a bath even though she is 7 (or maybe even 8 weeks) pregnant? Or is it better to wait till she gives birth.

I can use my bathtub and fill it with 1 inch of water so only her little legs will be immersed. How do I dry her afterwards?

Thank you!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't bathe her. Guinea pigs are good at keeping themselves clean. What are the scabs from? Has she been treated for mites?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto pinky. You don't have long to go, so I'd wait until several days after the pups come.

April2014

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the replies. She doesn't have mites but just allergic to an alfalfa hay I was giving her. I replaced that with alfalfa pellets now.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure it's a good idea to feed the piggie something it has a skin allergy to? And I think it's more likely that she has mites than an allergy to alfalfa. In which case a bath would make her more uncomfortable. Hopefully @bpatters will weigh in.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I doubt seriously that she's allergic to alfalfa hay. It's far more likely that she has mites. Can you post a picture of the areas where she's scratching.

You can treat a pregnant pig for mites, but I'd do so sooner rather than closer to her delivery date.

If this wasn't an exotic vet, you need to be finding one somewhere around you.

April2014

Cavy Slave
@bpatters
I took her to the vet and after checking thoroughly, he said it was not mites.
He also said even if there was mites, he would not be able to treat it when she is pregnant because on the medicine, it said "not tested on pregnant guinea pigs"
It was an exotic vet. They have a consultation for all exotic pets.
She is already pregnant for 7/8 weeks now and I swear I can even feel her pubic bones separating (1/2cm) maybe it's just me been too excited though

The scabs are only on the top of her neck...

Help me! The next closest exotic vet is 65 minutes by taxi.

Attachments

photo 2.jpg photo 4.jpg
Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, it doesn't look like mites. It looks like places where hair has been yanked out. Is she housed with another pig? But it also definitely does not look like an allergic reaction -- that would be more widespread, in my opinion.

What kind of cream were you putting on it? Have you tried a triple antibiotic cream? If you do so, put a tiny dab on and rub it in well with a q-tip. You don't want her to ingest it, but if it's a bacterial lesion, you'll have to put an antibiotic on it. You just watch to make sure she's still eating/pooping normally, and that she's not developing soft poops or diarrhea.

April2014

Cavy Slave
@bpatters
Thank god. I wasn't too sure about what the vet said but I couldn't get a confirmation since the other exotic vet is miles away

She lives alone only because I bought her from a pet shop but I know better to adopt now. There is no rescue around and I don't want to buy another GP from a pet shop so I will wait and hopefully she will have a girl that I can keep.

It is a blue coloured cream that just helps healing and softens the skin to relieve itchy scabs. I only apply it during lap time when she is distracted with her veggies

She is eating normally (although much more than usual but I'm presuming it's because she is so pregnant) and popping perfectly fine.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd try the triple antibiotic cream. It may not help, but I think it will. It will certainly address any cause of the itching, as well as the itching itself. If that doesn't work, you could try an antifungal cream, but it doesn't look like fungus to me.

April2014

Cavy Slave
@bpatters

Can you please tell me about the triple antibiotic cream? I am not very familiar with it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Any drug store or grocery store has triple antibiotic cream.

April2014

Cavy Slave
Oh ok. I will find it. It's for humans I'm guessing?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, it's a human medication.

April2014

Cavy Slave
Cool :) Thanks so much for all your help! I will let you know how it goes!

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
It commonly goes by the name of neosporin as well. You can get it at 711, Walgreens, Walmart, Kmart, CVS, Target, Safeway, King Soopers, Albertsons, etc. Pretty much any drugstore/convenience/grocery store should carry it. I wouldn't be surprised if you already had it at home in your medicine cabinet/first aid kit.

https://www.heartlandvetsupply.com/...L0Lrmbww7nYCY1WiqTdRxavS_Qm4MYpDdahoCShrw_wcB

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

April2014

Cavy Slave
@dani_starr
I live in Hungary. I will go to the drug store today and ask for it. Maybe they might have the same cream under a different company name.

April2014

Cavy Slave
@dani_starr
Thank you so much!! I would have never figured to check.
I had no idea when I joined this forum that everyone would be so helpful :')
I hope I can return the favour one day

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.