Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Newbie!!! Questions need answering for all UK fans

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

Definitely, do not buy from P@H. They are almost as bad, if not the same, as pet shops in the US. Buying a pet from a pet shop is not 'rescuing' it, it is just freeing up space for more piggies to be bred to put in their place. This forum is strongly against pet shops, and anyone on here would advise you to save a pigs life and rescue. No shop that sells animals is worth buying from. The animals all come from breeders, therefore pigs have suffered.

addictivejuliet

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
@officialluke: Don't go directly to breeders.
Many guinea pigs die because they've been forced to have babies, plus there are all ready so many in the world!
LOADS need adopting and have no homes.
Skip breeders, skip pets at home and do the right thing, go adopt and make a piggie's day,
give them a forever home where you'll love and care for them.

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
Please do not buy any animals from there! My first piggie was actually 'stolen' from P@H - he had escaped the delivery and was panicking running around the yard. The manager and one of the staff were chasing it trying to hit it with a broom! My mum marched in snatched him up and off we drove. He had mites, lice AND a URI when we got him to the vet!
The P@H adoption 'charity' is impossible to find actual information on so I wouldn't even trust that its going to charity.

Please look around your local rescues. I know when looking on the RSPCA pet finder there seem to be a lot of piggies around the Walsall area so you should have some luck with them.

For pellets I suggest Amazon - Burgess Excel and Oxbow available and they discount it if you have a recurring order. Hay - check out The Farm and Pet Place - £5.80 for a bale of Timothy and Meadow mixed, delivery is a couple of pounds.

There is no need to give Pets at Home even a penny of your money and I urge you not to!

That said Welcome and best of luck finding the pair for you and learning all about how to really take care of them! (Don't listen to any of P@H's 'advice' on caring for them and even the RSPCA don't know lots so check here!)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.