Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Medications Bene Bac questions.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I saw those, but at 15 grams at lowest 1 gram per dose that's only a weeks worth is it not?

Punkin gets his antibiotics twice a day, so he would need two grams per day if I'm correct?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The other issue is the one I posted, I can have here tomorrow.

The 15 gram syringes wouldn't be here until between Nov 5 and Nov 18th. That's far too long of a wait for me.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I actually went ahead and ordered the ones that @bpatters linked to.

I'm just not sure how long they're going to last, or if I'm supposed to give a dose after every dose of antibiotics.

I've been breaking an acidophilus caplet into 4 to 5 mL of hot water and stirring it until it's dissolved. Then I draw it up into 4 syringes. I searched for a while for that formula and of course now I can't remember where I got it. He gets one syringe 2 hours after every antibiotic dose

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No one has yet told me what the dosage IS, or how often.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ok, thank you. That's good to know. He gets his antibiotics every 12 hours so I wasn't sure how often he should get it.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I do dose after every administration of antibiotic. I figure some of that good bacteria is dying in the stomach on its way down, so I'd like to replenish it regularly.

Thank you! Should I use the 1 gram dose or will it dose smaller than that? I've never used them and do NOT want to screw this all up.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thank you, @bpatters. I'll make sure I consider that when they arrive. Supposedly between Nov 5 and Nov 18th. With a little luck I'm really hoping by that time I won't need them at all.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Are you using the pet gel? If so, yes. Give her 1/2 a gram roughly 1-2 hours after each dose of antibiotic. Make sure you monitor her, and weigh her once daily, preferably first thing in the morning before she's eaten anything. That way you'll know if she's getting enough to eat.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes. If she has small poops, shes probably not getting enough to eat. As long as your pig is on an antibiotic, a probiotic should also be administered 1-2 hrs after.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.