Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Bratty Cousin maybe bred my FOUR females when i wasnt looking

BonBon

Cavy Slave
You mentioned above that you are going to keep three boars with five sows, or at least that is your plan. I don't mean to be blunt, but that most likely will not work. Your boys will fight over the girls, that is why it is not recommended to keep more than one male with females, regardless of whether or not they are neutered.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto @BonBon. You can't keep multiple males with any number of females. They'll fight ALL the time. If you've got males and females, just plan on two cages.

HellyWBellPiggi

Cavy Slave
I was not going to keep them in the same cage. I am not a breeding factory. This just happened with this, this time.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
Can you provide the dimensions of you cage? Pictures can sometimes be misleading and I think if you told us exactly how big it is we can figure out how many pigs can live in there without any squabbles.

HellyWBellPiggi

Cavy Slave
I know how many guinea pigs can live in what cage dimensions.

HellyWBellPiggi

Cavy Slave
Other news, i can't tell if the girls are actually showing but some are looking plumper. Everyone is getting a long and nothing is going too badly. [Their living space is the same area as a twin bed. There are four girls.]

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
You're planning to keep 4 guinea pigs in a "twin bed sized cage", even though you know they are all having babies, which means an additional 1+ babies per pig. You're gonna have AT LEAST 8 guinea pigs in that cage. Litters are usually anywhere between 1-6 guinea pigs. A cage that's the size of a twin bed is not big enough for 8+ guinea pigs. I have a twin bed so I know. A twin bed is roughly 75 in. x 35 in. That's just a little bit bigger than a 2x5. A 2x5 is 70 in. x 28 in. The minimum for FOUR pigs is a 2x6. If you really did look at the cage size standards on the main page of this site and if you really did know "how many guinea pigs can live in what cage dimensions", you wouldn't think a cage the size of a twin bed is okay for 4 pregnant guinea pigs and you wouldn't have the cage size you have.

Last edited:

HellyWBellPiggi

Cavy Slave
The babies are not here yet. This is also not a cage thread.

HellyWBellPiggi

Cavy Slave
@CavyTV please do not post cage-type related posts directed at me or inquire any further about my cages. Updates with pictures will be uploaded as they happen and as are needed. You're being harrassive. I had to ask publicly to stop because of how much you hurt me.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
A cage the size of a twin bed is big enough for 4 sows. As for the babies, there may or may not be any, and if there are, I'm sure adjustments will be made accordingly. @HellyWBellPiggi I wish you the best with your girls and I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

HellyWBellPiggi

Cavy Slave
The birthing plan is still to move two and two into birthing hutches as they start to show signs of pregnancy according to their "pregnancy calendar" ...which is mostly going to be me marking certain sow check dates in my secretary app. Im just still trying to explain to people that the sows shouldn't be moving and dragging themselves all over during their birthing zone. So...im just not too concerned about the size of their play pen or them being in it right now. Once I settle everyone into nests we will just hope for the best.

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry, I did not mean to offend anyone. Yes, I know this is not a thread about cages but I want to help you make sure everything goes okay. I am just going based on the cage size standards on the main page. For 4 pigs, it says a 2x6 is the minimum and like I said, a twin mattress is only a tiny bit bigger than a 2x5. Personally, I think 4+ pigs in a 2x5 is cramped. I just want you to take a few extra steps to ensure that everyone lives comfortably until the babies are adopted. I understand that what I've said may have come out as rude, and again, I apologize. If you truly do not wish to hear why I think you need a bigger cage, I won't mention it. All I really did was ask about the dimensions of your cage, curious how big it really is, and when you told me what you estimated to be the size of the cage I just gave my honest opinion and some information. I don't think I was being harassive, but if you believe so, I will stop. I really hope everything goes alright for you. I know it must be stressful to have 4 pregnant sows.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

HellyWBellPiggi

Cavy Slave
Hope for the best during the birthing and first couple weeks. Then add more plans to the calendar.

BonBon

Cavy Slave
How are they doing?

HellyWBellPiggi

Cavy Slave
20170826_090023.jpgus20170826_090023.jpg b20170826_090023.jpgbabies b20170826_090023.jpgborn 8/26 two litters of four. Moms went into labor together and nursed together. Been away from web moving to new town. All 8 babies doing great eating, water bottle drinking. Trying to get pics up. Handle well. Beautiful colors and unique dutch-like marks.

HellyWBellPiggi

Cavy Slave
Adah (black) labored first. Her sister Hannah helped. I decided everything was going well and napped for Hannah's birth.

HellyWBellPiggi

Cavy Slave
One month olds are Doing well. They have very interesting coats. Very cute mis-match colored rose&black dutch marks. A black with white nose star and cape marks another black with saffron cape marking. A very interesting blue-silver black with brown marks around the eyes. Eye colors other than black un noticed. Some could have red eye. Still can't quite sex them. 8 total 4week old total. It's approx. Time to get the sexes separated.

HellyWBellPiggi

Cavy Slave
Annabelle, my tri, had triplets last week. All cute and beautifull tri striped mark. I didnt quite catch her labor time, it was a bit of a surprise. She was showing really small. One was larger than the other two and right away couldnt keep up with the smaller trips. Nest abandonment. Couldn't make it. After that she abandoned a second, so trying make little baby one make it. It's been about a week and things look good for Annabelle and her one so far. I was actually expecting this kind of thing from this sow, she is oldest. But seems to be doing well with her just one. So lots of stuff to do, supplies to order etc etc

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's PAST time to get those pups separated. Males can impregnate females at a little under four weeks, and females can get pregnant at four weeks. It's TERRIBLY hard on a four-week old sow to be pregnant, and many don't make it. Just turn them all over and separate them by what their private parts look like. See www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm if you help. But do it NOW.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.