Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lethargy Do guinea pigs mourn?

mimijimi

Cavy Slave
My other pig Jimi died (most probably of URI) last night. This is very hard for us. I miss him and can't stop crying. But I know I have to be strong for my other pig. I'm sure she's sad too: they have always been a tandem, a team, best friends.

When Jimi gave his last breath (he leaned against a grid, one used in C&C cages), Mimi made a noise (a squeak that is higher than the usual) as if warning my mother about what was happening. So that she won't be stressed, we let her out of her side of the cage and let her walk on the floor. She walked and stopped beside Jimi. The grid separated them, but Mimi was trying to kiss/nuzzle Jimi through the grid. It's like she's saying "Jimi, still there?" Or may be she already knew, and she's just giving him a goodbye kiss/nuzzle. I don't know. But while we cried beside Jimi, Mimi was also beside him. She was just there, quiet and sitting beside Jimi. I felt I had to separated Mimi, because I'm scared she might catch Jimi's URI. But I also felt I should give her time to mourn, to say goodbye. After some time, we separated them: Mimi back in the cage, and Jimi in a shoebox filled with shavings, hay, pellets (and this morning when we buried him, we added jasmine flowers).

I'm quite sure Mimi is mourning/grieving just like us. She's lost a bit of her appetite. She still eats, but very minimal. But I'm also scared that she might have caught Jimi's URI. Although I read somewhere in this forum that URI's are notparticularly contagious in pigs. And vets would not necessarily separate a healthy pig from a pig with URI. Nonetheless, she seemed ok: walking around, nibbling the fleece blanket, nibbling some hay.

What do you think? Is my guinea pig mourning/grieving? Or is she sick?

SuzAnne143

Cavy Slave
I think she might be mourning because we had our baby S'mores die and marshmallow mourned until we got him is buddy what your explaining sounds like what Marshmallow did but just to be on the safe side you should probably take her to the vet to be sure

mimijimi

Cavy Slave
So do you think I should get her a new friend?

Lovecraft

Cavy Slave
God, reading this just broke my heart. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Everything I've read said that getting a new companion really helps depressed/mourning pigs, but I haven't had any experience with it myself yet. If it was me though, I'd make sure to do a full quarantine, not just to make sure the new pig isn't sick, but to be absolutely sure Mimi didn't come down with anything. Keep your ears open for sniffling, wheezing, sneezing, clicking, or any other weird noises.

LithiumRiot

Cavy Slave
That just broke my heart, I'm sorry for your loss :/ Losing a piggy is always difficult (I've lost 4 in my lifetime)

Keep an eye on Mimi for a few days (a week?) and if she still seems like she's mourning, a buddy might be the way to go. Having a friend will help.

BedfordCavies

Cavy Slave
Yes, guinea pigs do mourn. When I was younger, my female pig, Squeaky, died during an operation for a bladder stone. My male pig, Citrus, mourned her till the day he passed. I would definitely consider getting Mimi a buddy when you are ready.

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
I"m so sorry. I lost 2 pigs this past summer, within a week of each other. The 3 of them had been together for all of their lives, with the exception of the boar. Phalen had come from the rescue, and was a little older. My Flora was very sad...it broke my heart. She is a total blabber-mouth, and she just stayed in her house and was silent. When I picked her up to hold her, she would blow her coat. I'm assuming that is the same as when dogs or cats do it...a stess reaction. She was alone for about 2 weeks, I took her to the vet, to make sure she was ok, and then took her to an adoption event put on by the local small animal rescue. I found her not on, but 2 new friends. Both are young females, and one was young enough to still want a "mommy." Flora is her old self again, now that she's not alone.

LeePetVet

Cavy Slave
my friend had a rabbit and a piggie they best friends and as soon as the rabbit died so did the pig.

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
@LeePetVet, the rabbit and the pig were housed together? I'm pretty sure that the pig died from what the rabbit had, or vice versa. That's so sad that they both died at the same time, though... :(

I don't think that pigs have the capacity to mourn like elephants, chimps, or we do, but they definitely are affected when their buddies die. It's so sad to see them all confused where their friend is right after the other dies... D:

LeePetVet

Cavy Slave
@NarwhalsRock they were in different cages right next to each other and the the pig died because they were really good buds

NarwhalsRock

Cavy Slave
OK [MENTION=24897]LeePetVet[/MENTION]! I was just a bit worried that your friend thought that it was OK for rabbits and pigs to be together! I'm glad they know better! Sorry, but I'm not 100% convinced that the pig died because of the rabbit's passing... How far apart were their deaths? If it was a matter of a day or two, the pig was probably sick.

I'm by no means an expert on animal behavior/psychology, but I doubt that a pig has the emotional capacity to be so grief-stricken that it dies. I'm 100000% sure that they have emotions, and DO mourn, but I don't think they can get THAT sad. I could be wrong, but I doubt that I'm far off in my thinking.

LeePetVet

Cavy Slave

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
That's so sad. My pigs had to be separated for a few months, because of Felix's hernia. They missed each other the whole time. They've only recently been reunited, and only recently reverted back to themselves. Felix has even mellowed a bit more, apparently only 95% of the world wants to eat him now, as opposed to 100%. Silly pig.

mimijimi

Cavy Slave
@deardulcie What do you mean by ""she would blow her coat?" Mimi's an American smooth haired, no matter what we do to mess up her hair, it just doesn't mess up; it's always down and smooth. But now that she's mourning, her cheeks and sides look fluffy. But I only supposed it was because she lost weight. Is she doing this on purpose? I mean, is this a sign of showing stress? I am not aware of this particular thing GPs do.

mimijimi

Cavy Slave
@deardulcie What do you mean by ""she would blow her coat?" Mimi's an American smooth haired, no matter what we do to mess up her hair, it just doesn't mess up; it's always down and smooth. But now that she's mourning, her cheeks and sides look fluffy. But I only supposed it was because she lost weight. Is she doing this on purpose? I mean, is this a sign of showing stress? I am not aware of this particular thing GPs do.

mimijimi

Cavy Slave
To everyone, thanks for all your responses. Makes me miss my little Jim even more. I'm already in the process of adopting a new friend for Mimi.

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
mimijimi, have you ever taken a dog or cat to the vet? When you pet them there, the hair comes off in huge clouds. When I was holding Flora and pettinging her, I would end up with a literal carpet of hair on my lap. She usually sheds a bit, but not ever like that. That's "blowing her coat." ; }

deardulcie

Cavy Slave
Oh...PS...Flora is an American Shorthair too! Good luck on the new friend!

BedfordCavies

Cavy Slave
To everyone, thanks for all your responses. Makes me miss my little Jim even more. I'm already in the process of adopting a new friend for Mimi.

You'll be honoring Jimi's memory by welcoming another deserving piggy into your home and heart. ((hugs))

RodentsRus

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Sorry for you loss.. Yes most definitely guinea pigs mourn. When my Sandy died her sister stop making happy sound, she stopped popcorning. So was went to a rescue and adopted a young girl.. It was love at first site. Mandy (4 yrs) Took to Cupcake as she was her own daughter..So cute.. Mandy started popcorning and talking like she used to when Sandy was around..They sometime but each other because of the age difference but mostly get along.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.