Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Guinea pig has watery eye with crust around it and appears tired!

Skyls

Cavy Gazer
Hi! I'm new to this site and I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I really need some help as a veterinarian isn't available with COVID-19.
So I bought my pig, Pebbles, for my other guinea pig Parsnip yesterday. (They're both female.)
At first I didn't think anything of it but I noticed Pebble's eyes were more watery than Parsnips, when Pebbles closed her eyes I could see water, but not a lot.
Pebbles is also constantly tired but she had a big day yesterday so I wouldn't blame her. She seems so tired she has trouble keeping both of her eyes open! Not because they're swollen or anything like that, maybe because she's just tired.
I felt the need to ask for help because I can't go to the Vet with this virus.
Then again, I just got her yesterday so I'm looking for a change in behavior or if that's her personality or if her eyes are just like that.
Should I separate them from each other just in case Pebble's is sick so I don't get Parsnip sick?

I almost forgot to mention the crust! There's small amounts of crust that form around her eye. There isn't much of it though. More of it usually appears after she wakes up from a good nap.

Thank you!

Blast

Cavy Slave
Hi! I'm new to this site and I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I really need some help as a veterinarian isn't available with COVID-19.
So I bought my pig, Pebbles, for my other guinea pig Parsnip yesterday. (They're both female.)
At first I didn't think anything of it but I noticed Pebble's eyes were more watery than Parsnips, when Pebbles closed her eyes I could see water, but not a lot.
Pebbles is also constantly tired but she had a big day yesterday so I wouldn't blame her. She seems so tired she has trouble keeping both of her eyes open! Not because they're swollen or anything like that, maybe because she's just tired.
I felt the need to ask for help because I can't go to the Vet with this virus.
Then again, I just got her yesterday so I'm looking for a change in behavior or if that's her personality or if her eyes are just like that.
Should I separate them from each other just in case Pebble's is sick so I don't get Parsnip sick?

I almost forgot to mention the crust! There's small amounts of crust that form around her eye. There isn't much of it though. More of it usually appears after she wakes up from a good nap.

Thank you!

Hi. He could have a respiratory infection. Idk if this will help, but one of my guinea pigs had conjunctivitis a while back. He had a lot of crust build up and he could barely see. I cleaned his eye with a wet towel, and after several days, he was back to normal.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She may have a blocked tear duct. You can massage her lower eyelid, very very very gently, wiping from the center of the eye toward the nose. Use a warm damp cloth. Do this a couple of times a day and see if it clears up.

You really should give them time to settle in before worrying about any strange behavior, unless there's absolute illness. It takes pigs a while to settle in to a new place, and you won't be able to draw any conclusions about them until you know them better.

And FYI, you'll get more and better responses if you'll break your posts up into paragraphs with double spacing between. A lot of people will look at a "wall of text" and just skip the post. The highlighting isn't really necessary, as what you're highlighting may not be the most important thing in the post. Experience guinea pig owners may pick up on something that didn't ring any bells for you.

Skyls

Cavy Gazer
Alright! Noted, thank you so much for the help. I'll get back to you on any changes.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
In the future when you bring a new pig home, especially if you "bought" it you should ideally quarantine the newbie in a separate room for about 3 weeks to watch for illness (upper respiratory infection and fungal are the top two).

Since it seems that you already put them together...you'll just have to watch both and be prepared to take both to a vet if they show signs of illness.

If it is just one eye with no nasal discharge, sneezing, wheezing or lack of eating/ drinking it is probably just a blocked tear duct ...just do as bpatter's instructed.

If you notice more discharge or other symptoms give a call to your cavy vet (an exotics vet who deals with guinea pigs).

With this COVID-19 the vets in my area are still open and will do one of two things (especially for a sick pet): 1. You wait in your car at appt time, they come get your pet from your car & take it inside for exam and bring it back to you with a vet call to explain everything OR 2. If you describe the symptoms over the phone, especially a guinea pig who can go downhill so quickly they would be willing to prescribe an antibiotic if you provide an ACCURATE weight. Then you can pick it up at the office during specified time (this is especially true of a vet you have previously seen)

Good luck and let us know how things go!

Skyls

Cavy Gazer
Good to know, the vets are not open where we are as we are in Manhattan and it’s pretty bad here so nobody really comes to comes to work at this point. Thank you so much for responding and helping. Have a great day.

SheriGoddart85

Cavy Gazer
Is it possible for you to call to vet ? Or send the picture of your pet to a doctor? It is better for him to have a look

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Good to know, the vets are not open where we are as we are in Manhattan and it’s pretty bad here so nobody really comes to comes to work at this point. Thank you so much for responding and helping. Have a great day.

Actually the vets are open. They are considered "essential services" and are open. I looked up an exotics in Manhattan because I have a brother who lives in NYC. The Center For Avian & Exotic Medicine is open. They are open today until 7 pm. Their address is 562 Columbus Ave, New York, NY 10024 and phone #(212) 501-8750.

Smileandnod

Cavy Slave
Actually the vets are open. They are considered "essential services" and are open. I looked up an exotics in Manhattan because I have a brother who lives in NYC. The Center For Avian & Exotic Medicine is open. They are open today until 7 pm. Their address is 562 Columbus Ave, New York, NY 10024 and phone #(212) 501-8750.

And actually being that it's Manhattan...you have A LOT to choose from who are open right now. Which is actually lucky for you should you need it. They will just do what I indicated already in my earlier post to avoid high traffic and keep things safe during this time.

Skyls

Cavy Gazer
Hello! This problem was resolved yesterday! Thank you so much for all the help.
Although, she seems to not eat very much. When she does eat, the food just falls out of her mouth and she ends up only getting a very small amount of food!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.