Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Joann's Anti-Pill Plush Fleece

mcbean2006

Cavy Slave

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
On the Joann website, Anti-Pill Plush fleece has one or two reviews saying it's good for guinea pig bedding, but I'm not sure if it will work well because it's plush. Has anyone used it, or a similar product?

You've hit a raw nerve on this topic. I definitely have experience and a personal bias......against anti-pill fleece and especially plush anti-pill fleece. Others say that they prefer anti-pill. Insofar as that goes, you will find more colors and patterns in the anti-pill type vs. the blizzard fleece that I prefer.

A bit of the back story: my cavies have always had fleece liners in their cage along with extra pads, cozies, etc. We always use towels for lap time as they can be tossed in the wash with detergent and bleach. Apparently, the softer types of fleece feel similar to towels to my cavies and they will pee & poop more in the cage with the softer variety. They know that it's o.k. to use the toilet on the towels during lap time and that transfers to the softer fleece. So........the cage gets far more soiled. Both my husband and I have noticed the difference in their behavior and the cleanliness of the cage.

OTOH, blizzard fleece is a thicker weave, more dense fabric which has the added advantage that it doesn't wrinkle or "bunch up" like the softer anti-pill variety. My sewn liners look far more professionally crafted and wear much better. Also, if you have a habit of using bleach, it isn't as damaging to the blizzard variety.

Once again, this is entirely a personal preference. I have been sewing fleece liners for ten years and have very strong opinions. You may have a different experience and we welcome your input.

mcbean2006

Cavy Slave
You've hit a raw nerve on this topic. I definitely have experience and a personal bias......against anti-pill fleece and especially plush anti-pill fleece. Others say that they prefer anti-pill. Insofar as that goes, you will find more colors and patterns in the anti-pill type vs. the blizzard fleece that I prefer.

A bit of the back story: my cavies have always had fleece liners in their cage along with extra pads, cozies, etc. We always use towels for lap time as they can be tossed in the wash with detergent and bleach. Apparently, the softer types of fleece feel similar to towels to my cavies and they will pee & poop more in the cage with the softer variety. They know that it's o.k. to use the toilet on the towels during lap time and that transfers to the softer fleece. So........the cage gets far more soiled. Both my husband and I have noticed the difference in their behavior and the cleanliness of the cage.

OTOH, blizzard fleece is a thicker weave, more dense fabric which has the added advantage that it doesn't wrinkle or "bunch up" like the softer anti-pill variety. My sewn liners look far more professionally crafted and wear much better. Also, if you have a habit of using bleach, it isn't as damaging to the blizzard variety.

Once again, this is entirely a personal preference. I have been sewing fleece liners for ten years and have very strong opinions. You may have a different experience and we welcome your input.

Thanks for your response. I prefer anti pill fleece, I feel like it stays cleaner. I currently use blizzard and anti pill. I went to Joann(for a different project) but I felt the fleece. To my surprise, the fleece is soft, but the fibers aren’t long, so it wont get soaked with urine. I’m going to get some later today. I’ll update on my experience with it.

Thanks again.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Anyone looking for a bargain price on fleece may want to check Joann Fabric's President's Day Sale. They have 70% off solid color plush anti-pill ($3.60 per yard) and blizzard fleece ($3.00 per yard). An even better deal is if you can find a remnant large enough for your cage. The remnant is 50% off the current sale price, so a one-yard remnant of plush anti-pill fleece would be $1.80.

I only mention this because I was at the local store yesterday and for $17.99 I came home with enough fleece for 2 pieces to cover the floor of my cage, plus 8 large pee pads in coordinating colors. One of the remnants was 1/2 yard of luxe fleece that works great under a pile of hay. It wicks well enough and the hay doesn't stick to it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.