Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cats/Kittens Cats and guinea pigs?

CuddlyShark

Cavy Slave
Does anyone here have cats and guinea pigs? If so, do they get along? Are they friends? :)
mimie.jpg
My cat, Sandy, mostly ignored Mimie (RIP Mimie). She was curious about the piggy when we first got her, but after a while, she kinda lost interest. She'd occasionally sniff Mimie, but that's it. Mimie wasn't scared of her either.

Anyone else here have cats? :)

Tally943
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
We have 6 cats. (All are de-sexed)

Adopted from the SPCA 14 years ago...
2 boys are 14 years old and don't care about the pigs, one loves to snuggle under one of my trio's loft.

Adopted us, and are *happy* to learn how to be tame and touch-able cats...
2 boys are a year and a few months old (Born feral, strays and very very timid) , one (Panther) LOVES to jump in the pigs cages and cozy down on the pigs stuff...the other couldn't care about them less..hes a people/cat cuddle buddy!
2 are a few months old (1 boy, 1 girl...same feral stray mother as the other two...the girl is still VERY timid and feral)..the girl hasn't come inside the house yet...and the boy comes in but not far enough to meet any pigs...

Panther who loves to chill out in the pigs cage and is my big dork..
image-10.jpgIMG_2864.jpgIMG_4949.jpg

CuddlyShark

Cavy Slave
We have 6 cats. (All are de-sexed)

Adopted from the SPCA 14 years ago...
2 boys are 14 years old and don't care about the pigs, one loves to snuggle under one of my trio's loft.

Adopted us, and are *happy* to learn how to be tame and touch-able cats...
2 boys are a year and a few months old (Born feral, strays and very very timid) , one (Panther) LOVES to jump in the pigs cages and cozy down on the pigs stuff...the other couldn't care about them less..hes a people/cat cuddle buddy!
2 are a few months old (1 boy, 1 girl...same feral stray mother as the other two...the girl is still VERY timid and feral)..the girl hasn't come inside the house yet...and the boy comes in but not far enough to meet any pigs...

Panther who loves to chill out in the pigs cage and is my big dork..

Aw, that's so cute!! :)

Kristine

Cavy Slave
I want a cat but I'm afraid we'd get one that wouldn't mesh well so I've avoided it. We do have a black lab that loves the pigs and the pigs adore him.

petgal49

Cavy Slave
I have two cats and they like to watch my guinea pig run around his closed top cage. However, I have a special floor time room that the cats do not go in when my guinea pig is out. The cats cuddle with me when I have lap time with my guinea pig and they have never made a move at him.

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
@RodentCuddles Aww, that last pic of Panther 'smiling' at the camera is adorable!

We don't have a cat, my mother hates them, but our Cocker Spaniel does lick the bunnies! Does that count? ;)

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave

SophieBunny

Cavy Slave
So cute! I love taking silly pictures of my dog! Sorry to hijack but:
image.jpg
He does that face whenever I feed him a bit of peanut butter. lol
I know it's upside down, but my iPad does that to all pictures and it's really late here so I can't be bothered fixing it!

taitertot

Cavy Slave
As long as its supervised I think it should be ok. My cat comes and sits on my lap when I have my guinea pig out. This is just a theory but I think that if you establish with the cat that the guinea pig is part of the family, by holding it and carrying it around in front of the cat, the cat should realize that it shouldn't harm the guinea pig. But just watch out if the cat trys to play with it, they can play rough. Also guinea pigs can be easily stressed and scared so watch for that. My cat is a huge mouser so I won't let her go anywhere near the cage, but all in all I think they all live together fine.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
I have one cat who we swear thinks he is a guinea pig. Though he has never hurt them we don't allow him near their cages anymore because he will eat their hay and pellets, which make him get sick. Cats and dogs should ALWAYS be supervised with guinea pigs because you never know what might set off their hunting instincts.

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
I have two cats now. Booger is about 10 and is probably harmless and then I have Bella who is almost two and she is referred to as the devil cat because she likes no one! Not even me and I bottle fed her because her mother abandoned her so, I don't take any chances because I like to keep everyone safe!

Murk21

Cavy Slave
I would never leave my cat and piggies unsupervised but my cat loves lap time even more than my piggies. She's also a pretty lazy cat. One of my piggies gets along with the cat and I really think he likes her purring.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364532718.569917.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364532756.435430.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364532811.618676.jpg

ellisa

Cavy Slave
@Murk21, those pictures are adorable! I love the last one.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I have four cats, and none of them appears to pose a threat to the piggies, although I never let them be together without supervision. One of the cats has a love affair going with Quinn. He sneaks into the playpen whenever he has a chance, and she always comes running to him. I'll try to get a picture, although he runs when he sees me because he knows the pig pen is off limits. Another of the cats loves to wash them during lap time, and the third is a nurturer (he's a boy, but he raised two stray kittens over the years), so he used to snuggle with Borat when Bo was very sick. The fourth cat was just adopted in January. She's old and crotchety, so she's checked out the pigs but doesn't seem to care about them.

Aussie_Dog

Cavy Slave
When I got my pigs, I set up their cage with a lid. After a while, I expanded the cage and the lid didn't quite work for it anymore, so I took a chance and just took it off. By that time (several months or a year after the pigs arrived), the cats were fine with the pigs. The novelty of scurrying little prey had worn off, and while the removal of the lid did peak their interest, it waned again shortly after. I think they realized that these creatures aren't quite like moths and mice. These creatures don't run from a cat jumping into the cage. No, these creatures COME. AT. YOU. Granted, it's out of curiosity, but the cat doesn't know that. She thinks the pig is coming to eat her. Or something. So she usually turns around and jumps back out, with a look of dismay and disgust on her face.

Now, when we got Marcy, it was a different story. Marcy came to us as a kitten when the pigs were already full grown, so they were bigger than her. She got used to them, they got used to her. She decided right away that fleece makes an excellent bed, and you can still find her curled up in a corner, or stretched out. The pigs are used to her, too. When she jumps in, they come to check out what made the thump into their home. Marcy doesn't care when Sasha (it's always Sasha, Stella is too shy to come out from Sasha's shadow) starts sniffing at her. I even have video of Marcy trying to sleep and Sasha's nibbling at her fur. Marcy is still young, though (she had her first birthday last week) and she plays rough (with fellow cats and her beloved humans). She does sometimes go overboard, get a little big for her britches, and then someone has to step in and remove her from the cage. She doesn't hunt them, exactly. She just sometimes gets into "the zone" and decides to stalk one, try pawing at her. Said pig will spook and book it across the cage and hide under a house, and that's it. If Marcy decides to press the issue, she's gone. These piggies aren't exactly quiet when they feel an injustice has been done to them. If they get touched by a paw, they're wheeking and squeaking (like pigs!) which always gets our attention. But as soon as Marcy comes back to the cage, they're all sniffing each other again, past squabbles forgotten. Definitely something to keep an eye on, of course.

If any other cat jumps in (I have three others, though the skittish one never comes to this area of the house), the pigs know instantly that it's not Marcy, and they turn and run and won't come near the cat. Which is fine by the cat, by the way. Kitty just wanted to jump into the cage so she could jump onto the window above.

Mr.Waffles101

Cavy Slave
I have a cat. She doesn't care about the pig lol xD She won't even go near him.

RandomCavy

Cavy Slave
I do have a cat, and she is CRAZY. One moment she will be sitting there with you petting her, the next she will be attacking your hand. She has scared away all of the rabbits around our house because she LOVES to hunt them. At first she was crazy curious about Bolt, but after a while she didn't care - until I introduced them out of the cage. I placed Bolt in a room with my cat, and once my cat saw him, she just sat, staring at him. Bolt walked up to her, tried to sniff her and she RAN AWAY! lol and he just kept trying to get to her!

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
what is bolt

PrincessPiggy

Cavy Slave
@CuddlyShark [MENTION=23045]RodentCuddles[/MENTION] [MENTION=21559]Murk21[/MENTION] Your piggy and cat pictures are so cute!

I don't have a cat (my mom's allergic to them), but I have a little dog who is fascinated yet scared of the pigs at the same time. When we have them out for play time, he'll lie on the floor about four feet away and watch them-- until one of them comes over to investigate, at which point he'll jump up, run about four feet away, then lie down again :D.
We also used to have a big Bernese Mountain dog who would sit outside their playpen and watch them when we took them outside. He kept giving us these questioning looks like he was asking, "Huh? I don't get it. What are these fuzzy little squeaky things, and why are you playing with them instead of me? Do I get to play with them, too?" :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.