Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty One squinted eye but no crust

extremelysoup

Cavy Slave
So I have two young sows(Coconut is about 2-2.5mo, and Scrabble is about 2.5-3mo), both are relatively happy, but they do have spats from time to time, probably still trying to establish dominance. They're both in the "moody teen" stage. Both of them have a vet appointment next week, so I'm not too concerned about this. The older piggy, Scrabble has one eye that seems to be injured. I saw some discharge today, but I think it's the normal stuff that helps them clean their faces. She squints with just that eye, the other is fine. She's eating, drinking, and producing waste like a healthy cavy. Their cage is covered so there's not too much light, and I leave the front part with the door uncovered, it's just the top and sides. Could Scrabble have poked her eye on hay/chew sticks/or their hut? They have a chew hut because my father and I were concerned about the cavies chewing on a normal plastic pigloo. Is it possible that she was injured in a short assertion of dominance? I'm not satisfied with the hay and bedding they have, so I'm planning on changing both. What steps should I take from now to seeing the vet next week?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If it's just one eye, it's more likely to be an injury or a blocked tear duct than a respiratory infection.

See if you can gently pull the eyelids back and down and check for an injury. If you don't see one, and particularly if the eye isn't red, then the problem may be the tear duct. Take a clean warm cloth and very very VERY gently massage at the corner of the eye a couple of times a day and see if that helps.

extremelysoup

Cavy Slave
If it's just one eye, it's more likely to be an injury or a blocked tear duct than a respiratory infection.

See if you can gently pull the eyelids back and down and check for an injury. If you don't see one, and particularly if the eye isn't red, then the problem may be the tear duct. Take a clean warm cloth and very very VERY gently massage at the corner of the eye a couple of times a day and see if that helps.

She seems to have a tiny injury, both of them actually. Each one now has one slightly sunken, slightly red eye. The appointment isn't until the 23rd. I think Coconut might be getting a little crusty, but it may just be regular eye goobs. Do you think they'll be okay for another week? These are my first cavies btw.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Eye injuries are VERY painful, and if an infection sets in, the pig could lose an eye. I'd try again to get a quicker appointment, tomorrow if at all possible.

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
It could also be conjunctivitis (pinkeye)- it is very contagious, so that would explain how it seemed to spread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Qwertage

Cavy Slave
My Guinea pig also has a slightly squinty eye. I'm not sure if she poked herself with hay but I'm going to take her to the vet asap to see if there is anything we can do for her. I've noticed she is still eating pellets and veggies but she isn't as excited about it like the other piggies.

Qwertage

Cavy Slave
UPDATE- I took my Guinea pig to the vet for her squinty eye and turns out she has a cornea ulcer and an eye infection because of this. I'm giving her eye drops 3 times a day and pain medication for her eye. Shes been laying in her house alot and only eating pellets and picking at veggies. Picking at hay as well. I've had her quarantine from the other piggies because of her eye. Hopefully she will feel happier when I introduce her to the other Guinea pigs.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
UPDATE- I took my Guinea pig to the vet for her squinty eye and turns out she has a cornea ulcer and an eye infection because of this. I'm giving her eye drops 3 times a day and pain medication for her eye. Shes been laying in her house alot and only eating pellets and picking at veggies. Picking at hay as well. I've had her quarantine from the other piggies because of her eye. Hopefully she will feel happier when I introduce her to the other Guinea pigs.

If she isn't eating much herself and laying around a lot, you'll need to force feed her. Do you have access to Critical Care? Pigs need to have their gut moving constantly and not eating enough can be devastating for her.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Also, the quarantine may be affecting her. No doubt your other pigs were thoroughly exposed to anything she might have. If she were mine, I'd put her back in with them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.