Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Supreme Science Selective

Elizabeth Nuss

Cavy Slave
730582205820C.jpgguineaselective_futter_2.jpg

I'd love to know everyone's options on this brand, Rox has been on it a week after I got him. He started eating it right away and always almost finishes his bowl each day. c:

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
How old is Rox? If he is over 6 months then this food is not good.

This is an alfalfa based based pellet and it has calcium carbonate, both of which could lead to the formation of bladder stones in an adult pig.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Hi @Elizabeth Nuss - first, I would stop feeding that food. A high quality pellet should list hay as its first ingredient.

Here is the ingredient list for that pellet food:
Alfalfa meal, whole wheat, wheat feed, soybean hulls, soybean meal, flaked peas, linseed, sugar beet pulp, soybean oil, fennel seeds, monocalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, dried dandelion, dried nettle

The next thing is - you mentioned he finished his bowl of it each day. How old is your pig? If he is over 6 mths old and you are giving a whole bowl full of pellets, you are providing far too much. An adult (over 6 mths) pig should be getting only 1/8 cup of pellets daily. Also, an adult should not get alfalfa pellets because the higher amts of calcium can cause sludge and eventually stones. If your pig is under 6 mths, unlimited pellets is fine.

If your pig is under 6 mths, try Oxbow: Cavy Performance. If your pig is over 6 mths, try Oxbow: Cavy Cuisine. Both are available at Petsmart.

Elizabeth Nuss

Cavy Slave
Hi @Elizabeth Nuss - first, I would stop feeding that food. A high quality pellet should list hay as its first ingredient.

Here is the ingredient list for that pellet food:

The next thing is - you mentioned he finished his bowl of it each day. How old is your pig? If he is over 6 mths old and you are giving a whole bowl full of pellets, you are providing far too much. An adult (over 6 mths) pig should be getting only 1/8 cup of pellets daily. Also, an adult should not get alfalfa pellets because the higher amts of calcium can cause sludge and eventually stones. If your pig is under 6 mths, unlimited pellets is fine.

If your pig is under 6 mths, try Oxbow: Cavy Performance. If your pig is over 6 mths, try Oxbow: Cavy Cuisine. Both are available at Petsmart.

First, He is 1yr and I never said I gave him a huge bowl evewry day. His bowl is very small and I only put a about 12-20 pellets each day. Tho, thank you both for telling me your opinions on the food, I will look into that brand on my next free day since the closest Petsmart near me is a drive and I work from 9-6 every day, except Mondays.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Okay, at a year, he shouldn't be getting alfalfa based pellets. Like I said, they are much higher in calcium and are really meant for babies and pregnant sows. The higher levels of calcium can cause sludge and possibly eventually stones. So you want to go with the Cavy Cuisine. What kind of hay are you feeding?

Elizabeth Nuss

Cavy Slave
Okay, at a year, he shouldn't be getting alfalfa based pellets. Like I said, they are much higher in calcium and are really meant for babies and pregnant sows. The higher levels of calcium can cause sludge and possibly eventually stones. So you want to go with the Cavy Cuisine. What kind of hay are you feeding?
Well thanks for such helpful advice, really makes a girl feel welcomed here. And he happens to have as much Timothy as he wants, I make sure his rack is full before I go to work and refill it before bed.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
@Elizabeth Nuss - okay, from your replies I get the feeling you are annoyed at the information you got. You did post asking people's opinions on the food you posted. We gave it to you. The food isn't great. Also, wouldn't you rather be made aware of the type of food your pig should be getting for his age than to be giving him inappropriate food and risking health problems because of it.

Also, I didn't ask IF you fed hay. I assumed you did. I asked which kind - alfalfa or timothy (which you answered). I was asking because just like the pellets, alfalfa should not be given to adult pigs.

Last edited:

Guineadog

Cavy Gazer
@Elizabeth Nuss - okay, from your replies I get the feeling you are annoyed at the information you got. You did post asking people's opinions on the food you posted. We gave it to you. The food isn't great. Also, wouldn't you rather be made aware of the type of food your pig should be getting for his age than to be giving him inappropriate food and risking health problems because of it.

Also, I didn't ask IF you fed hay. I assumed you did. I asked which kind - alfalfa or timothy (which you answered). I was asking because just like the pellets, alfalfa should not be given to adult pigs.
I know this is none of my business but I dont think she was annoyed. She said thank you and just told you about how much food and hay they get. Simply because its information she wanted to share I guess. She also said she apprecited advice and was going to get better food. And if you ask what kind if hay I would assume they would tell you they fed hay.

Elizabeth Nuss

Cavy Slave
@Guineadog is very perceptive, I am sorry if my way to expressing myself with words down over the web isn't obvious of my appreciation. I did purchase Rox the brand of food you suggested today, went out of my way to drive all the way to Petsmart to get it.

Guineadog

Cavy Gazer
@Elizabeth Nuss
Thats good that your getting the better food! I made mistake of buying the wrong food once but its ok as long as you change it. Did you already throw away the other food? I think it woukd be easier for Rox if you at first mix it together and decrease the amount of the old food day by day. It is less stressful and switching right away gives some pigs stomach aches. If you already threw away the old food then that is ok it is just preffered, the other way.

Hope Rox will be happier and healthier with the new choice
P.s I saw your profile pic of Rox and she is adorable!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.