Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Ovarian Cysts Ovarian Cysts in Two-Year-Old

Piggy Mum

Cavy Slave
My 3-year old sow began losing hair on her sides, on her neck (behind her ears), her nipples were enlarged, and she even developed two extra very tiny nipples. Everything pointed at ovarian cysts, so we tried the hormone shots before we tried the surgery because of her age. The shots didn't help at all. The vet did say the hormones had been expired for a month (she gave them to her for free because of that) and wasn't sure if it was going to work. Millie was getting worse, so we opted for the surgery. Probably the best decision I've ever made. We had it done by a very cavy-savy vet who works at a 24-hour emergency vet hospital so there was always someone there checking on her. She did have one little issue where the very top of her incision became a little bit inflamed, but it's healed nicely. Millie acts like her normal self and all of her hair has grown back! It made me realize how miserable she must have been before. I was scared out of my mind the entire day of her surgery, but it's was so worth it. Even though the hormone shots might not have worked on her because they were a little expired, I would still opt for the surgery over the shots just because it fixes the problem completely whereas the shots seem to be more hit or miss.

Millie also is prone to sludge, and so I pretty much cut out all romaine lettuce. She maybe gets one leaf of it every 3 months. I stick to green leaf because even the red leaf started her sludge again. She's probably only had parsley a couple times in her life, and I switched her from Oxbow to KMS pellets and it also made a huge difference! She gets mostly green bell pepper, but sometimes red or yellow. Cilantro has never brought up her sludge, and she has it weekly and loves it! The butterhead lettuce also seems to do well with her.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions :)

We also had a problem with red leaf lettuce. It didn't agree with either Crackle or Poofters. We tried radicchio too, bit after awhile it bothered Crackle's digestion. We also used to have parsley, but I stopped that due to sludge.

It's comforting to hear about successful spay surgeries. It makes me feel a lot better. Thank you.

Piggy Mum

Cavy Slave
Wonderful news! The vet just called to say that Poofters made it through surgery! She's very drowsy, but she's doing well.

It turns out that Poofters had cysts on both ovaries, and one of them even ruptured during the surgery.

Yesterday when I took Poofters to the pre-op appointment, the vet told me that the blood and crying were probably from the cysts because they had been growing so quickly. A lot of sows don't show any discomfort with cysts, and don't have blood, but the vet thought that Poofters' cysts were really aggressive.

Anyways, Poof will have to stay in the hospital overnight, but my husband and I will be allowed to bring Crackle to visit her at suppertime.

daisy1cow

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Im glad all is well, sounds like you got her there in the nick of time! She will feel so much better after all of this!!!
Keep us updated

ILoveMillie

Cavy Slave
Great news! Sounds like she had the surgery just in time! I'm sure she'll be her usually self in no time. That's how my Millie was.

Piggy Mum

Cavy Slave
Last night, my husband and I took Crackle to visit Poofters in the hospital, and they had a little supper together. This morning, we brought Poofters home at 10am, and she's been eating and pooping - not a normal amount, but about 1/3 her normal amount, as she's very drowsy. We don't have to syringe-feed her at this point. My question is about Bene-Bac. It just got delivered to our door, so I'm wondering when and how we should administer it. It's the Bene-Bac Plus FOS & Probiotics powder. It's the one that's especially for guinea pigs, hamsters, rabbits, and gerbils.

The directions for initial feeding say to provide one level teaspoon on days 1, 3, 5, and 7, and then once weekly for maintenance. It says to sprinkle it on moistened food, but do you think we should mix it with water and syringe-feed it?

Poofters hasn't had any antibiotics, but she has had pain meds. Is there any possible interaction between probiotics and pain meds?

Thank you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No interaction between pain meds and probiotics, but I'd tend to separate them anyway. Just give the probiotic halfway between the pain med doses.

Glad to hear she's eating and pooping. It took a couple of days for Flourish to really chow down on everything, but as she was eating steadily, if sparingly, during that time, I just watched her carefully and didn't intervene.

Piggy Mum

Cavy Slave
No interaction between pain meds and probiotics, but I'd tend to separate them anyway. Just give the probiotic halfway between the pain med doses.

Glad to hear she's eating and pooping. It took a couple of days for Flourish to really chow down on everything, but as she was eating steadily, if sparingly, during that time, I just watched her carefully and didn't intervene.

I do have to put the food in front of her because she's so drowsy. Then she wakes up and eats a bit more. We've been giving her a piece of carrot, cilantro, or lettuce, and when she finishes that we put hay right in front of her. She's interested in her hay until she gets tired again. She's had a bit of water, too.

For the probiotics, do you think it's okay to make a mixture with water and force-feed it? Since she's on a 24-hour pain medication, I'll wait until her suppertime.

Thanks so much!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If she's that sleepy, you may want to try hand-feeding her some hay and pellets. She really must eat, whether she thinks she's hungry or not, or even if she'd rather sleep. She won't eat as much as normal, but she should be eating every hour or so.

You can syringe her the probiotics, or just sprinkle them on her food.

ETA: The other option is to look at her pain med schedule. My vet prescribed just one dose per day, but told me that if she stayed really groggy, to give half at a time, twelve hours apart. She was much more awake and active that way.

Piggy Mum

Cavy Slave
If she's that sleepy, you may want to try hand-feeding her some hay and pellets. She really must eat, whether she thinks she's hungry or not, or even if she'd rather sleep. She won't eat as much as normal, but she should be eating every hour or so.

You can syringe her the probiotics, or just sprinkle them on her food.

ETA: The other option is to look at her pain med schedule. My vet prescribed just one dose per day, but told me that if she stayed really groggy, to give half at a time, twelve hours apart. She was much more awake and active that way.

That's a good idea about the pain med schedule. I'll look into that.

What I've been doing is waking Poofters up to eat about every 45 minutes. We start with a veggie, and then once I've shown her the hay she eats happily until she gets sleepy again. Before checking the posts just now, I'd given her some water as well. Basically, I've had to prompt her, but then she shows interest in her food.

I'll be up in the night to make sure she eats, too.

I'm going to call the vet now about the pain medication schedule. Thanks for giving me that idea!

Piggy Mum

Cavy Slave
Is it normal for sows to rumblestrut after being spayed? Poofters is rumblestrutting a lot, and I don't know if she's doing it because of hormones, dominance behaviour, or just habit.

daisy1cow

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Funny, our female rumblestrutted and mounted her poor neutered male before her spay! She was all over him and he was so confused by it all. She'd get him in the face even! But we didn't have an issues after.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Spaying them just removes the ovaries, not the hormones circulating in the bloodstream. The rumblestrutting behavior should calm down as the hormones fade, but may not totally go away, since it's also done for dominance.

Piggy Mum

Cavy Slave
CutePooftersinaBlanketedited.jpg
Poofters would like to say thank you for all your good advice about her spay surgery. She's doing really well, and is acting like her normal self again. She's getting impatient with us not allowing her to stretch and put her paws up on the bars! Also, during floor time, we were giving Poofters and Crackle a restricted floor time space, but finally gave in and gave them their normal amount of floor area because the two of them were jumping around and wheeking, and we figured that jumping would probably be more dangerous than having more walking space.

Thank you, everyone!

veggiegirl

Cavy Slave
Oh I love poofters colour! she is one beautiful piggie. So glad her surgery went well and that she is returning to her happy self :)

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Yay, I'm so glad Poofters is doing so well!

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
maybe TMI... just trying to help... but I dont know if it would be the same in piggies.. but I have ovarian cysts and I know that going to the bathroom when im around that time of the month puts alot of pressure on them and it hurts to the point i feel like im dying... and usually when they start hurting like that i cant move for a few hours without being in pain... and it hurts really bad if they bust... then when they do i bleed a little bit some times... i would personally do what you could to help her... because just walking around can be painful with them when they are trying to bust.. and if she starts crying again put something warm on her areas around them... warmth helps make them not hurt

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.