Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Making a kitchen

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave
@pawner69
Do you know the size of the four pieces with the edging? I would like to cut and prepare my coroplast kitchen before they get here Friday.

pawner69

Cavy Slave
Each square is 12inX12in and the edging is 2 1/2 in wide. I only have edging on 2 sides so mine is 26 1/2 in X 26 1/2 in. If you got all four sides with edges, I think that would make it 29 X 29?

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Each square is 12inX12in and the edging is 2 1/2 in wide. I only have edging on 2 sides so mine is 26 1/2 in X 26 1/2 in. If you got all four sides with edges, I think that would make it 29 X 29?
Do their nails get caught in the holes? Is it hard plastic or softer? I am wondering if this is something you could use in the whole cage over pellets. I just went to the site and saw that they are non slip for humans. With beds and other tunnels and stuff they would have plenty of fleece to lay on.

I wonder...

pawner69

Cavy Slave
Mine haven't had any trouble with nails getting caught. It is very hard plastic. Its made for a garage so it has to stand up to a car driving on it all the time. I don't think I would use it in a whole cage. But of course everyone is different.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Mine haven't had any trouble with nails getting caught. It is very hard plastic. Its made for a garage so it has to stand up to a car driving on it all the time. I don't think I would use it in a whole cage. But of course everyone is different.

That is what I needed to know.

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave
Here is my kitchen. I have drain tiles in there with carefresh under it. Keeps the carefresh in place and I can just lift it up, scoop out the wet areas, and the spread out what's left or add a bit more dry. Only have to do that a few times each week. Daily I can just sweep up the poops and loose hay. Works great for me and I have 7 pigs using the same kitchen.

View attachment 77606
@pawner69
update: I received the four drain tiles I ordered today. I also ordered the four sides and corners.
it fits perfectly in my 2x2 kitchen. I put wood pellets under the drain tiles. I must say so far I love, love, love them.
the pigs nails do not get caught in any way, pee drains, poop and hay can easily be swept up. The best part is the hay doesn't stick like it does on fleece. This is the exact solution I was searching for and so glad I gave it a try.
kitchen stays more sanitary since it is so easy to clean.

pawner69

Cavy Slave
I am so happy its working so well for you!!! I know I love it. I use carefresh under it now but for cost I think I will switch to the pellets as well. I just ordered 8 bags of carefresh though and that usually lasts close to a year since this is the only place I use it.

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave
@pawner69, How many pigs do you have in the cage?
I woke up this morning and my drain tiles had a lot of smooshed poop on it. My five girls did a job on it overnight. If I have to wash it everyday that would be a pain, however I love that hay doesn't stick to it. Why can't I have both
no smooshed poop and no sticking hay lol.

pawner69

Cavy Slave
@LoveMyPigs25 I have 7 pigs. And it does get smooshed sometimes, but usually it's pretty easy to get off once it dries. I only take mine out to scrub them every 7-10 days. When I do a full cage clean and change out the fleece, I also take the grids out and soak them in the sink with some vinegar and dish soap. Give them a scrub and they are good as new.

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave
@LoveMyPigs25 I have 7 pigs. And it does get smooshed sometimes, but usually it's pretty easy to get off once it dries. I only take mine out to scrub them every 7-10 days. When I do a full cage clean and change out the fleece, I also take the grids out and soak them in the sink with some vinegar and dish soap. Give them a scrub and they are good as new.
How do you get the smooshed poop off everyday?
sweeping, vacuum? It didn't seems like it would sweep up without making a mess.

pawner69

Cavy Slave
Sometimes I can use the little dustpan and it will pop off and sometimes the vacuum will pull it off. And sometimes it's just stuck. LOL Its not a perfect system for sure but what is in the piggy world? Hahahahaha

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave
Sometimes I can use the little dustpan and it will pop off and sometimes the vacuum will pull it off. And sometimes it's just stuck. LOL Its not a perfect system for sure but what is in the piggy world? Hahahahaha
Guess I'll keep at it, it's better than hay sticking to fleece. Lol if only they would use a litter box.
My girls seem to poop anywhere and everywhere, not even just in corners.

pawner69

Cavy Slave
I totally feel your pain. I have 6 girls and a boy and it always amazes me at just how much poop they put out each day. Hahahahahaha But we love them so we just keep cleaning it up.

pawner69

Cavy Slave
I call mine my little poop machines.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.