Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi...I could use some help with neutering

huggabletnt

Cavy Gazer
Hi! I'm new here. I have 3 little piggies. One girl and two boys. They are three weeks old...separated of course. I raised them from birth as their momma didn't make it. Because I fed them every two hours I became very attached to them and now I can't give any away! So I'm looking into neutering the males, so they can all live together. The little girlie is so upset not being with her siblings. Would anyone know of a place in or around Ottawa, Canada that does this? And how much am I looking at paying? Or is it cheaper and better to neuter the one female?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That probably won't work. Multiple males with any number of females generally is a recipe for disaster. How about getting another female and just having two cage of pigs? Four's not much more work or expense than three.

But to answer your question, neutering males is both a safer surgery and less expensive than spaying a female. Costs vary widely across the country, and even within the same city.

Carpdirector

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry their momma didn't make it :( We had babies, two girls and one boy, and had the boy in with father for several weeks. They got along great, and then suddenly they didn't. They became competition rather than cage mates and we had to separate them. If the two males saw each other they would try desperately to get to each other, so we had a large piece of cardboard blocking their sight. I was told at the time that they would get along if they were far away from the girls, like in another room. That wasn't an option for us so we ended up finding a home for the boy.

We did neuter the father so he is now happily housed with the girls. It was very expensive ($300!) but worth it. We were lucky and he had no complications :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
The males should get along fine as long as you give them a large enough space. Fighting is often due to tight living quarters where they can't get away from each other. I agree with [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] that getting a companion for your female and housing the intact males together would be your best bet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.