Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Dealing with Oxbow - Will update as it continues

KaileighRussell

Cavy Slave
So I've been a major fan of Oxbow hay - timothy hay and now orchard grass hay.

First, I've had some questions about the botanical hay - I've bought a bag but yet to feed it to the girls - is this a good choice? It's more of just a little "treat" to mix in with their hay. It contains timothy hay, chamomile and some other herbs.

Second, I've contacted Oxbow about the quality (or lack there of) in their timothy hay recently. I always end up with really dusty hay and the last bag had chunks of wood in it! So finally someone got ahold of me and we're in the process of dealing with the issue. They need the lot number for the hay - which is on the clips that I convenienty never keep....

Anyway, I'm excited to see if this actually leads to anything - they seemed a bit overnice because I took to social media where everyone can see it! Will update as discussion continues.

MissJean

Cavy Slave
I've actually wrote them before about ways to reduce dust in their bags. This was back when I first got my pigs (see the date I joined for rough estimate). The guy who wrote me back said they would see what they could do, but listed a bunch of problems they have to struggle with. I wish I kept that letter now.

The bulk boxes online of oxbow are usually better quality. A certain Youtube lady with skinny pigs I watch uses that stuff and the quality difference is huge! Can you get the bulk boxes online in Canada?

KaileighRussell

Cavy Slave
@MissJean - I've been looking and have yet to find anything - any suggestions are gladly accepted though! I've also been looking locally.

I'm hopefully going to continue chatting with the Oxbow woman - I mean, it got to the point the sneezing and coughing had me bringing one of my girls to the vet for a possible URI. I'm not expecting them to know what's up, other than the bits of wood in the hay - that I was suuuuper not impressed about.

Hopefully something good comes about it :)

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
I had to stop using their hay because the dust was getting so bad every time I filled their hay bags (twice a day) I would go into sneeze fits to the point of nose bleeds. I bought some local hay and will not be going back. I've found that there is also more "dust" in the pellets lately too. :/ I don't know what is going on with them.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
If you have the space, have you considered finding someone who sells quality hay bales?
I can get a bale of hay for $10 and even tho I have only 2 pigs, it still lasts a long time and still smells fragrant. These days the girls choose the bale hay over Oxbow.

KaileighRussell

Cavy Slave
Believe it or not it's a lot harder to find bales of hay in Toronto than you would imagine!

At this point I don't have the space to properly store a full bale of hay - I'm in an apartment, and the roomate is allergic to timothy hay - as is his daughter (to the point of hives). I started leasing a horse - but won't be there till the weekend to get to see if they have hay I can buy by the flake.

@CanadianComforts - I've noticed that with their pellets too! I'm really concerned about that because I have no idea what's the equal quality version of them in Canada.

piggiepigpigs75

Cavy Slave
I was at petsmart, and a haybag had fell on the floor from oxbow and it spilt out the hay.... So dusty it hurt my eyes

Megaredize

Cavy Slave
you can get the 25 lb and 50 lb boxes of Oxbow in Canada. think it was Canadiancomforts who gave me the link :) Flower Town Chinchillas They are based in Ontario and sell the boxes. I will be trying the 25 lb box when im done with the 9lb bag of Orchard grass hay i recently got. I think it being in a box will help the 9lb bag is awkward and its a tall bag so i got no where for it until i use a bit of it up.

oh also they sell the 50lb bags of Oxbow pellets

Last edited:

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
It doesn't have to be timothy hay
you can find orchard hay by the bale. I was fortunate enough to find great quality Bermuda hay(also coastal hay). But if you don't have to space :(
I want to add, 2 flakes lasts my girls maybe 2? months. So if you're able to get it by the flake, I'd get a decently sized box poked with some holes to allow ventilation and stuff a coulpa or few flakes in there.

KaileighRussell

Cavy Slave
@MrWhistles - I'm hoping I'll be able to find something that's good quality. As for the need for it to be timothy hay, that's only because I own picky picky pigs who have turned up their nose at everything else. If I can, I'm hoping it works out - I'm at the barn every weekend - so getting more wouldn't be an issue - I just have to see if they'll sell me a couple of flakes. I can store it in those banker's boxes.

@Megaredize - 50 pounds of Oxbow pellets sounds beautiful...I hate buying the small bags - even though they last a good while. Still a pain in the tush to fork over 16.00 a bag for the tiny ones...

momomiyamommy

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs don't like Oxbow hay, the dust was also an issue. They will only accept Kaytee Timmothy & Orchard grass hay. I give both for variety and they like it when I change it up :)

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
Believe it or not it's a lot harder to find bales of hay in Toronto than you would imagine!

At this point I don't have the space to properly store a full bale of hay - I'm in an apartment, and the roomate is allergic to timothy hay - as is his daughter (to the point of hives). I started leasing a horse - but won't be there till the weekend to get to see if they have hay I can buy by the flake.

@CanadianComforts - I've noticed that with their pellets too! I'm really concerned about that because I have no idea what's the equal quality version of them in Canada.

I tried storing my hay in my shed but found mold on it one year so now I bag it, pop holes in the bags with a knife and keep it in my basement.
I would see if you can find a friend who also has rabbits or pigs and split a meadow/orchard grass hay bale. In total its 5 black bags per bale (for me anyway) and 2-3 bags would be easy to store.

I believe the pellets are the same quality because they are shipped from the same place. I really want KMS pellets but the price is just not doable for me.

As for the pellets in large amount, you will end up saving money. Just place the extra in a freezer to keep the Vit. C stable.

CanadianComforts

Section Moderator
Cavy Slave
Oh on the bales and storage, if you don't know anyone who would split it with you donate half to a rescue (piggles guinea pig rescue is in Ontario).

pinky

Cavy Slave
Oxbow's boxed hays are beautiful. You have no idea how long bagged hays have been on a shelf or have been tossed around so there's bound to be a lot of dust in it. I've been very happy with the boxed hay I've bought from them. The store I buy it from got a new distributor, though, and have been having a hard time getting it so I bought from Small Pet Select last time. The price was almost as low as the Oxbow and the hay was beautiful, too. Their shipping is cheap so having it delivered was a big plus for me. I'll order from them again next time. When I can get nice fresh bales, I go that route, but I can't get it in the winter around here and last year was a bad year for hay so they ran out early.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I'm fairly certain that if you keep stubborn, they'll eat the hay you keep in their cage.

Rayven105

Cavy Slave
I have only ever bought 2 bags of hay as I am new to guinea pigs. The first big bag of Oxbow hay was great but the second is dusty. I am only 20 min away from Flower Town Chinchilas so maybe I'll try the boxed hay. Is it really that much better just because it's boxed?

pinky

Cavy Slave
I have only ever bought 2 bags of hay as I am new to guinea pigs. The first big bag of Oxbow hay was great but the second is dusty. I am only 20 min away from Flower Town Chinchilas so maybe I'll try the boxed hay. Is it really that much better just because it's boxed?

Boxed hay contains larger quantities of hay and it's packaged in flakes which are the compressed layers of hay, freshly cut from the field. There's less handling to them. They're boxed fresh and shipped out. The people at Oxbow explained a little about it to me. You could get a dry flake or weeds since it doesn't go through the inspection process like the bagged hays, but Oxbow is great about sending a new shipment if there's ever a problem. My store will only order 50 lbs of orchard grass but orders 25 or 50 of timothy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.