Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chewing Guinea pig chewing cage bars

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
How do I stop my guinea pig from chewing his cage bars? He chews them whenever I have veggies or if he is excited and hungry. I am worried that he will hurt his teeth if he keeps chewing the cage bars :sad:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I had to line my cage with plexiglass to keep one of mine from chewing.

hatley1717

Cavy Slave
I had to line my cage with plexiglass to keep one of mine from chewing.

Can you post a picture?
Molly does it when shes excited or mad...she gets "upset" with me when she finishes her salad and the family starts to eat dinner....she'll chew the bars and yank on them until she realizes she isn't getting anymore, then she'll stop.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Of the plexiglass? I just bought plexiglass at Home Depot, drilled holes in the top, and zip-tied it to the cage. HD will cut it to whatever size you want.

guin2567

Cavy Gazer
It wont hurt him as long as he doesent do it 24 7, my pig did it all the time, since i got her all the way till she passed, he is just excited that hes getting food and treats, thats all

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, pigs can fairly easily break their teeth chewing on the cage bars.

guin2567

Cavy Gazer
She never broke her teeth...thank god my other doesnt do it, im never letting my guin chew on her cage bars

GuineaPigLuvs

Cavy Gazer
My guinea pig poppy does the most ANNOYING thing ever, she grabs the metal spout part of the water bottle and pulls on it while shaking it up and down, like she's trying to pull it apart! No idea how to stop it aside from taking it away and I can't do that :\ guinea pigs do the strangest things

guin2567

Cavy Gazer
Yea my pig bubbles did that, and your right it is SO annoying

GuineaPigLuvs

Cavy Gazer
Especially when you're trying to sleep >~<

guin2567

Cavy Gazer
I know right >.<

Guinepig

Cavy Slave

That is what I am afraid is going to happen. He only does it when it is veggie time. He will stop when I gently push him away.

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
Awhile back someone mentioned rubbing a bit of vinegar on the bars would discourage them from chewing. Vinegar also acts as a repellent towards bugs (which is good too). My girls tend to do this as well when I bring them their veggies. It's their way of saying "hurry up! bring it faster!" When they bite I try to stop them from chewing. Although lately because of the way my cage is set up they prefer running around in circles and popcorn with excitement

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
Awhile back someone mentioned rubbing a bit of vinegar on the bars would discourage them from chewing. Vinegar also acts as a repellent towards bugs (which is good too). My girls tend to do this as well when I bring them their veggies. It's their way of saying "hurry up! bring it faster!" When they bite I try to stop them from chewing. Although lately because of the way my cage is set up they prefer running around in circles and popcorn with excitement
Would distilled white vinegar work?

failur3byh3art

Cavy Slave
Oh, I should've mentioned that the vinegar I used was indeed white vinegar. So yes. The smell would discourage them from approaching the bars or chewing. It'll also cause any house bugs to be discouraged from approaching the cage as well. Has to use white vinegar mixed with cinnamon for ant repellent

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
Oh, I should've mentioned that the vinegar I used was indeed white vinegar. So yes. The smell would discourage them from approaching the bars or chewing. It'll also cause any house bugs to be discouraged from approaching the cage as well. Has to use white vinegar mixed with cinnamon for ant repellent

Hmmm. I could have done that with my old hamster. One time in my older sisters room she had the hamster by the window, and then one night we found ants swarming his cage! He lived for a few more months after that. Which would have made him over a year old. We haven't seen the ants since then. I think they liked his wood shaving bedding

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just my $.02. Neither vinegar nor bitter apple did a thing to discourage my bar chewer.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I rebuilt my cage with 8" sides and it stopped my one bar biter from doing it.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Yes! This is very true! I had a cavy named Zelda who was a serious bar chewer! She broke one of her teeth on the bars, but it grew back. But I still don't want to go through that again! After the tooth grew to normal length, she never did it again. I'm very thankful, otherwise I would have had to make plexiglass walls just for her.

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
I have them in a store bought cage right now. I might be getting them a c c cage for Christmas (I hope if I do my mom gets the right grids!) But I won't be able to do coroplast or plexi glass. it will be in this order: Shower curtain on the bottom, then towels, then on top will be the fleece

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.