Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Frustrated by Oxbow Hay bags

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
Does anybody else get as frustrated by Oxbow Hay bags when you first open them? It takes me a few rounds to get to the point where I can use the self-close zip, so the hay sits open for a few days!

I get the 90oz bag of Timothy and then one or two small bags of variety hay for fun - usually orchard grass or meadow hay.

Anybody have their own solutions?

wigglemish

Cavy Slave
Could you use a clothes peg to keep it closed? (I don't use Oxbow hay, but I do use this for pesky bags of oats/pasta etc).

miniver

Cavy Slave
Could you use a clothes peg to keep it closed? (I don't use Oxbow hay, but I do use this for pesky bags of oats/pasta etc).

I use clothes peg and a set of chip-clips from the Dollar Store. I have one set for piggy stuff only and another set for human food.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
I buy my oxbow hay in bulk on amazon and just leave the bags open.

CrystalCavy

Cavy Slave
I have Oxbow hay too. You can try dumping it into a large plastic bin. Like a Rubbermaid storage bin for example. Walmart was selling a lot of them for the Back to School sale. They still might be there this weekend. But hay is supposed to be left in a dry, well-ventilated place so if air gets in, that's probably a good thing.

ZiggyPig

Cavy Slave
I have Oxbow hay too. You can try dumping it into a large plastic bin. Like a Rubbermaid storage bin for example. Walmart was selling a lot of them for the Back to School sale. They still might be there this weekend. But hay is supposed to be left in a dry, well-ventilated place so if air gets in, that's probably a good thing.

Hahahaha, you just gave me one of those head slap moments! Lived on/worked on/rode on farms, know lots about taking care of "horse" hay, because, you know, that's different from other hay.

Peppas_Mama

Cavy Slave
I leave mine open. Idk what else to do. I guess because in the back of my mind I was thinking about mold being a factor.

Shieme

Cavy Slave
LOL, yes I get frustrated with the bags. Even the small ones do this! Now I keep mine in a trash can, that I bought for only hay of course. I don't worry of mold because I keep it in a dry place but I worry about freshness and how messy it can be.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.