Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Critical care??

taffy123

Cavy Slave
Help?? My two baby guinea pigs that were born yesterday morning at like 6 am have each lost 4 grams. Is this normal? Or should I feed them the critical care? I want them to be healthy and want to make sure that the oxbow critical care is safe for new born guinea pigs ?? Thank to you. uploadfromtaptalk1436745509950.jpg

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
It's normal for newborn guinea pigs to lose a bit of weight a day or two after birth. A 4 gram weight loss sounds very reasonable for newborns. If they are active, you see them moving about and you see them nursing I wouldn't feed any critical care. It doesn't sound like they need it to me. They should start picking at mom's hay, veggies and pellets soon and you will see their weight start to increase.

GiuneaPigLover

Cavy Slave
I agree with @sallvy. my four pups were born on the 7th of this month and they are very active. They have started ld nibbling hay, pellets, veggies and drinking water. You should have no worries.

GiuneaPigLover

Cavy Slave
I agree with @sallyvh. My four pups were born on the 7th of this month and they are very active. They have started nibbling hay, pellets, veggies and drinking water. You should have no worries.

taffy123

Cavy Slave
Thank you @sallvy and @guineapiglover
They do appear to be nursing and they are definitely active! They run around all the time. I was wanted to make sure they would be okay 😊

taffy123

Cavy Slave
Thank you @sallvy and @guineapiglover
They do appear to be nursing and they are definitely active! They run around all the time. I was wanted to make sure they would be okay 😊
Oops! @sallyvh

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
No problem!

If you're ever unsure about something it's always best to ask! It sounds like they are doing just fine and they are very cute!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.