Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Biting Biting me!?

littlepaws1999

Cavy Slave
I have had my piggies since they were 4 weeks old and now they are nearly 14 weeks. Anyways with that being said Zora and Luna injoy biting me and my moms fingers when they are being held. Is there any thing we can do to stop this? I personally thought piggies don't bite but now that assumption has been proven wrong... For me anyways lol.

I have tried blowing gently at their noses, loudly "squeaking", and saying no! But nothing has helped and they continue to munch away at us.

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
Your hands might smell like something they can eat. Or it could be that they don't like being held

MrsGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Does your hand smell like food at all?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Move your fingers away from their mouths. It's the easiest way.

littlepaws1999

Cavy Slave
No I always have clean hands and don't use scented soap.

The thing is I do move my fingers away but then they move or turn their heads to chew either way... Lol

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Then move your hands farther away. What you're doing is teaching them that it's ok to chew because you're leaving your fingers where they can get to them. How are they to know they're not supposed to chew your fingers when you conveniently (for them) put your hands in reaching distance of their mouths?

littlepaws1999

Cavy Slave
Ok then... If that's the only anwser I'll just do that then.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
When Ferb used to bite I would put my flat palm up to his nose (not touching him) and say no biting. They can't bite the palm of your hand and he eventually learned what no biting means.

littlepaws1999

Cavy Slave
Oh that's cool... I'll try it and see how that goes. :)

dubbergirl

Cavy Slave
FireBall has only been nippy when he's smelled the Vit C tablet on my fingers from where I'll hold it out for him to eat. Crazy boy!

littlepaws1999

Cavy Slave
@dubbergirl your lucky then because they bite when being held, when I'm cleaning poop out from their cage they can come up and nibble me, and the bite extremely during nail trimming time which I just finished.

SomethingFunny

Cavy Slave
I know not everyone is ok with this, but you might have to resort to tapping them gently on the nose. It worked for me when one of my pigs started getting nibbly and I really think it was just startling, not actually painful.

littlepaws1999

Cavy Slave
That may be what I will need to do haha... I already tried rywens idea and the funny thing is they managed to still bite my palm . :/

dubbergirl

Cavy Slave
Just a question....Squeaky (RIP) started the nipping thing and almost drew blood a couple of times, then I noticed scratching that seemed more than normal. Any chance they have mites? It was the mites (his fur hadn't started falling out yet and he'd not yet ripped off the skin on one leg (all of it from the top to the bottom, or all the way across his shoulders). Just a thought. He's been the only one to bite like that, and it was because of the mites. Just a thought...not saying yours have mites, but that's what happened in our situation.

TheDNDWizard

Cavy Slave
It sounds like they are starting to enter their adolescents or what I call "Naughty pig" stage. You just gotta let them know that you are the boss. And be patient with them. I like Rywen's idea I would try that. Make sure to give them treats when they don't bite. Take it away when they do. My pigs do little "love nibbles" but they don't hurt.

littlepaws1999

Cavy Slave
Just a question....Squeaky (RIP) started the nipping thing and almost drew blood a couple of times, then I noticed scratching that seemed more than normal. Any chance they have mites? It was the mites (his fur hadn't started falling out yet and he'd not yet ripped off the skin on one leg (all of it from the top to the bottom, or all the way across his shoulders). Just a thought. He's been the only one to bite like that, and it was because of the mites. Just a thought...not saying yours have mites, but that's what happened in our situation.

I don't think they would have mites cause if they did I would at least see them on Luna... Cause she is all white except for her ears and nose(she's my little Abby himilayan lol)

CritterSlave

Cavy Slave
You can't see mites they are microscopic.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
No, you can't see mites.

Whirlwind

Cavy Slave
My first pig will bite my arm when I am holding him in the crook of it. He loves being held, so it isn't due to displeasure. I started blowing in his face and tapping him on the nose, and that seems to be working. He wouldn't break the skin, but he would cause "blood blisters." And it hurt.

I also try to wear long sleeves, so that he can't get to skin.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.