Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Ideas to help boars smell less?

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've had quite a few males and only one that would scent mark. It was years ago and he lived in a small cage so that's probably why. I had my neutered male housed with an intact male and neither of them ever smelled. In fact, they were the tidiest guinea pigs I've ever owned. When the unaltered male died, I regrouped my guinea pigs so the neutered male lived with two females. He's 6 years old now and is still a sweet smelling guinea pig.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've also been considering putting carefresh on top of the aspen shavings! It seems like a good idea, since you get the benefits of carefresh yet don't have to spend as much rechanging.

I use a thin layer of Fresh News for Cats over aspen or kiln dried pine and it works really well. The Fresh News is extremely absorbent so I've gone up to a week and a half without changing the bedding. I could probably go longer if I spot cleaned but I don't.

NinjaAlena

Cavy Slave
Ya my boars stink, but just clean out their cage more often and if they themselves stink you can always wash their bums down with some warm water and guinea shampoo. Also some people invest in an air purifier and I heard it helps a lot :)

aaquino1

Cavy Slave
I have a pair of boars and when they were housed together, the boat "stank" smell was strong. It's a difficult smell to describe without getting too graphic lol. It smelled worse after cleaning. They also smelled this way often because they wouldn't stop fighting for dominance. Eventually I had to separate them because they fought to the point where blood was drawn. Now that they're housed separately, the only odor that comes from them is the urine (which can get pretty strong. One of my boar's cage reeks of urine even after spot cleaning every 3 days. He's on aspen bedding). Sometimes their poop also smells, but I find it smells of tar so it doesn't bother me as much as the other smells boars can produce.

If if you're worried about your housemates, why not consider female piggies? They don't produce the "stank" that boars do. If you get your boars young, they'll go through a period where their hormones are raging and they'll bicker often. I even hear that sows produce less waste than boars, but I don't know how true that is.

juliax0

Cavy Slave
We use Carefresh - the newspaper one..it's been the best at controlling odor. Will last about a week where as fleece only stink really bad in a few days

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
Well tonight was a late dinner (I feed mine 2 x day) so they were really yelling at me when we all got home. I was getting it together and my husband said "did u know Spaz stands up trying to peek out towards the kitchen". I've seen him do so a little but he was really up on his hind legs today! I had some cilantro today and he could smell it and my boys LOVE cilantro. The pic isn't great but the best I could catch. I included one of him standing and one is just another cute one of him against the cage.

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
I didn't mean to post that on this thread sorry!

dubbergirl

Cavy Slave
I'm guessing I've been lucky, because we've had a total of 3 boars, and none of them have smelled (we have 2 now, because Squeaky passed away very unexpectedly). I did just switch from Carefresh and am trying the pine pellets sold by Tractor Supply for horse stalls. LOVING it! They can't throw it out of their enclosure, and there is no smell at all. $5 for a 40 lb bag is also more affordable. I want to get an air purifier for the house (kids and I have allergies in general, and think a purifier would help, especially in the fall and spring when they are the worst).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.