Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chat Jealous of those over 40!

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My Spotify is littered with the Misfits, the Vandals, Bad Religion, Depeche Mode and Tears for Fears and I feel so cheated that I didn't get to see these bands in their prime.

I'm such an 80's kid at heart, it's not fair :(

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I didn't see any of them. In the 80's I saw Rush, Heart, Journey, Styx, REO Speedwagon, Duran Duran, Bad Company, The Kinks, Elton John, Billy Joel, and The Honeydrippers. I really wish I had seen Queen when Freddie Mercury was alive. I'm a Tears for Fears and Depeche Mode fan, not so much the others though.

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
Ah the memories! I used to love Tears For Fears, INXS, etc as well as Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Moody Blues, Deep Purple, all that hard rock, Blues, so many I can't think of their names, but I remember the music! (70's & 80's). The 'free' concerts we'd go to sometimes. The main concert arena used to be near a huge park where a lot of people who couldn't afford the tickets would all sit around & listen. The concerts were so loud those days; for a while when my ex-partner & I had a house near that area, we could just sit with our mates, booze & stuff & listen in comfort!

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
Ah the memories! I used to love Tears For Fears, INXS, etc as well as Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Moody Blues, Deep Purple, all that hard rock, Blues, so many I can't think of their names, but I remember the music! (70's & 80's). The 'free' concerts we'd go to sometimes. The main concert arena used to be near a huge park where a lot of people who couldn't afford the tickets would all sit around & listen. The concerts were so loud those days; for a while when my ex-partner & I had a house near that area, we could just sit with our mates, booze & stuff & listen in comfort!
Ugh and Led Zepplin! Burning with envy right now haha

Artista

Cavy Slave
The 80s was the best era. We had new age, punk, rock, hard rock, metal rock and on it goes. I found bands I loved in all categories from Pink Floyd to Rush to Bon Jovi, Quiet Riot, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Madonna, Van Halen, and many more. There really was something for everyone. From the 90s on it's gone downhill. I can't stand most of the bands out now. It doesn't grab me like those in their prime in the 80s.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
The only band I really like from the recent decades is Maroon 5.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
I agree, most of the more recent music that I like is reggae and folk. I do love me some Adam Levine though :p

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
Ahhhh, those were the days. Adam Ant was one of my favs, he was so cute!! Like the big hair bands as well. Motely Crue anyone??? Got tickets to their farewell tour in Nov. Have seen them 3 times in the last 4 years. Def Leppard? ALways a big Journey fan, Pat Benatar can belt it out for the little lady she is, saw her recently too.
Back when MTV played music videos all day!!! Hall and Oats those were great times.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
MTV was so much better when it played music videos all day and night! I'm trying to remember if I saw Def Leopard in concert? I did see Kiss at Kings Dominion (or Bush Gardens?). I loved Pat Benatar's Love is a Battlefield and We Belong, and have both on my iPhone. My favorite metal hair band was The Scorpions.

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
Oh the Scorpions, love em! Yah! Saw them on tv the other night, a more recent concert and it was amazing!
The Ramones, RIP

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
Oh yeah, Def Leppard!! ACDC, Roxy Music ... so many! And I just loved all that long hair!
Bring'em back!

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I am at work right now and my coworker has her kindle attached to some speakers so we can listen and it's the 80's channel. She is 25 and I am 34. I'm a 90's/2000's rocker chick at heart- Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Seether, Staind, Breaking Benjamin, etc, but I do have to admit, it is nice to hear some of these songs from my childhood, back when music was actually made with instruments, and people sang about real life stuff, instead of the crap lyrics of today. A friend of mine was bragging that her 4 year old is so cool because she was jamming to Katie Perry (Dark Horse) and was singing the lyrics. I nearly had a stroke. I believe that song says something about "riding me like a roller coaster, turning the bedroom into a fair." Yikes!! I don't have kids yet, but I am a little prudish about that kind of stuff. Four year olds should be singing the barney song and whatnot. Just my opinion!!

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
I agree. What some kids are allowed to watch, listen to &.emulate is disturbing. Stuff they really don't (I hope!) understand -- what are the parents thinking?

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Laughing because I remember my niece at age 6 singing Lady Gaga's Poker Face but she thought it was hot cocoa face, ouch, lol.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
My little sister is 5 and sings some Misfits and pop that she hears off of the radio, like Dark Horse. I agree with @ThePigAlchemist it's kind of hard for them to not pick it up, with most music even being incorporated into commercials. She knows not to say the curse words and if she happens to be singing a song with curse words in it (god forbid) she'll censor it. As far as the actual content, I don't think they start comprehending it until they're 8-10 ish.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I know they have no idea what those innuendos mean, but I would just be mortified if my preschooler went to school singing about riding someone like a roller coaster :eek:hmy: It is impossible to completely keep kids away from all things bad, but the woman I speak of purposely gave her daughter this music and brags about her being cool singing it. Don't get me wrong, some of my music has very distasteful language, but I'd never give it to my 4 year old.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.