Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage CareFresh

CaseyB

Cavy Slave
I have seen a lot posted about Carefresh ! Is this a litter that is used a lot by people on here ? I wouldn't mind getting some opinions on it. Thanks [emoji4]

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
It's piggy-safe. I personally don't care for it, but a lot of people use it.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
The main problem with it in my opinion is the cost. It takes a ton of Carefresh to fill a reasonably sized cage, and then you have to replace it every week so you would go through a lot of it. It's definitely one of the more expensive bedding options. I wouldn't use it in the whole cage just for that reason, although it could be good for a "kitchen" area with fleece in the rest of the cage. Even that would be much more expensive than something like wood pellets, which is even better at controlling odor.

CaseyB

Cavy Slave
I agree wood pellets are inexpensive, my only issue with it in a litter area or a kitchen is when it gets wet it turns to dust and they track it everywhere

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I don't have a big problem with wood pellets getting on the fleece, but I used to use paper bedding (like Carefresh, I don't remember what brand) in the kitchen and my pigs would kick it out all over the fleece when they ran around. You could always buy a small bag and see how it works for you.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
I use carefresh in 1/4 of my cage. And I must say it works really well. Controls the oder and virtually dustless. Like @pigger123 said, it does get a bit pricey, but I do like it where my hay is so that its easier to clean. Or else the small pieces of hay get stuck and ruins my fleece a little bit.

CaseyB

Cavy Slave
@piggers123 what kind of wood pellets do you use ? Are they the soft wood pellets used for wood stoves ? I find that they become powder in less than 24 hours.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Wood pellets do turn to sawdust, but that doesn't affect their effectiveness. You can either leave them as sawdust (after a few days, you can actually sweep them, like a floor), or stir them.

Wood stove pellets are fine as long as they don't have an accelerant added or a strong pine odor. If you can't find suitable wood stove pellets, horse stall bedding pellets are usually ok. Just check to make sure they don't smell strongly of pine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.