Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables Is this safe to eat?

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
A couple weeks ago I had my neighbors watch the piggies for a week while I was on vacation. Today she dropped off a bag of cucumber as a treat for them, which was a very sweet gesture. The thing is, she said they were given to her by someone else, and they are already chopped up in a plastic grocery bag. Also they were yellow on the outside and green inside. I have never seen cucumbers like that before. I don't know if I should feed it to them, partially because I have no way to wash them and because I don't know if they are safe. Has anyone fed their pigs yellow cucumber before?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If its yellow because that's the normal color, it would probably be ok. If yellow because it's old, then I wouldn't give it. But if you're worried about it, just pitch them.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
That's the thing, I have no idea if they are old or not. I tried them myself and they are crunchy so I would assume they aren't old. Thank you though.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc I looked up summer squash and it looks almost exactly like it, but it tastes exactly like a cucumber. I am baffled as to what it actually is. I don't think I'll give it to the pigs just to be safe. I'll put it in a salad or something.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
New development: my neighbor just texted again and she has organically grown green beans and mezuna. I know the pigs can have green beans but I have no idea about mezuna. I hadn't heard of it before, so I googled it and it's a spicy Japanese plant of some kind. I probably won't give it to them, but if it's possible to have a second opinion that would be appreciated.

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't give them anything that's spicy.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc Oh thank you, I just looked back at what I previously read (Mezuna is a mild Japanese green with a spicy exotic flavour) and I guess I misunderstood it. I'll see if my neighbor still has the veggies

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.