Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Piggy Bedspreads vs. Fleece Flippers

cuteypie

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I am interested in buying a piggy bedspread or fleece flipper.I just wanted to ask which one would you rather prefer? Do they smell? Are they easy to clean? Any information would be great!!!!

Thank you.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Just FYI, I already have an extensive features and benefits page about Fleece Flippers™ vs. Piggy Bedspreads here: Features and Benefits of Fleece Flippers. It's intentionally not a side-by-side comparison, but it does mention a multitude of differences.

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
I haven't bought any yet, but I'm going to get some Flippers as soon as I have the money. From what I can tell, they basically split up a fleece cage liner into smaller sections, to make it more manageable, e.g. you could clean just one particularly dirty section instead of having to take the whole thing out and wash it.

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
I've used the official piggy bedspreads for years and an unofficial (homemade) type of flipper for the last few months.
Both are really great concepts and both will do the job.
Both are pretty snug in the cages and sweeping wasn't a big issue with the bedspreads BUT it is a little easier with the flippers since they don't bunch at all.
the main difference for me and was listed on the above mentioned list is that the pieces are separated for washing with the flippers which helps cut down on drying time and build up of smells over time.
My bedspread did smell over time (talking a year or so) and even with vinegar rinses and sun drying, the smell lingered. Not terrible, but it was there and I know it was because of the pieces sandwiched together because I had similar experiences with cloth diapers.
That doesn't seem to be an issue with the flippers in my experience since all layers can be fully aired out.

The other important thing is that you can change up your design with the flippers and have different patterns-fun! :)

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I'd been using Piggy Bedspreads for a few years and they worked really well -- but over the last year or so, they had shrunk to the point where I could not even fit the sides over the sides of the cage and the vinyl liner had developed rips from the heat of the dryer. I've had to stretch them just to fit over and because they were pulled so taut, the fleece has developed holes in the corners. So even more recently, I hadn't even bothered to try to stretch the sides over the sides of the base. I just folded them under and spread the piggy bedspread out as much as I can to cover the most space.

So when I read about Fleece flippers, I saw the potential there for a solution to the problems that had come up with the Piggy Bedspread.

Piggy Bedspreads can be bulky to wash and heavy when wet but because these flippers are individual pieces, you can wash them individually. But even if you wash them all at once, it would be more like washing a small load of towels than a large comforter, so it's less wear & tear on the washer & dryer.

It would also make the cage cleanup a lot easier and quicker for me.

Because you can use the Fleece Flippers for twice as long by flipping them over, it would be like having two Piggy Bedspreads, so for price comparison:

Two 2X5 Piggy Bedspreads are $158

A 2X5 Fleece Flipper set is $87.99

So basically:

-Double the time between the need to wash
-Wash individually or all at once
-Smaller and less bulky than Piggy Bedspreads
-Like getting two fleece bedding changes in one
-Cage clean up is easier and quicker
-Easier on washer & dryer
-Lots of cute designs to choose from or to mix & match

CamoFlipper.jpgZebraFlipper.jpgOPPOnFlipper.jpg

Pigalicious

Cavy Slave
I've never used the piggie bedspread but I would imagine that the Fleece Flippers are way easier to wash. I love the Flippers, really makes cleaning easier. And I think they are a better value than the piggy bedspreads

spordelia

Cavy Slave
I made my own piggy bedspreads and used those until I discovered fleece flippers. Then I made my own fleece flippers and have been using them for a few weeks now. I've found that I much prefer the flippers. One huge benefit is that you can change a fleece flipper while the pigs are still in the cage! Which is great if you need to quickly refresh the cage but you aren't necessarily able to set up floor time right at that moment. I find that I much prefer the flippers just because they are more convenient during cage cleaning time. I find that I keep the cage cleaner because it's easier to keep clean.

The bedspread was nice when I had plain white coroplast that was boring to look at--it covers the sides and looks great. It also prevents the pigs from chewing on the coro. However, I found bedspreads to be much more of a hassle than flippers. If you watch the videos on the piggy bedspread website, they demonstrate putting the bedspread on when the coro is NOT inside the cage. It seems so easy, right? The issue is, it's a lot more difficult to wrap the bedspread around the coro when the coro is inside the cage. Imagine putting a fitted sheet on your bed--if the mattress is up against a wall, it's much tougher to pull the sheet all the way down around the sides. In the same way, the piggy bedspreads require a lot of maneuvering to pull down around the coro when inside the cage. They honestly were a bit aggravating for me.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I made my own piggy bedspreads and used those until I discovered fleece flippers. Then I made my own fleece flippers and have been using them for a few weeks now. I've found that I much prefer the flippers. One huge benefit is that you can change a fleece flipper while the pigs are still in the cage! Which is great if you need to quickly refresh the cage but you aren't necessarily able to set up floor time right at that moment. I find that I much prefer the flippers just because they are more convenient during cage cleaning time. I find that I keep the cage cleaner because it's easier to keep clean.

The bedspread was nice when I had plain white coroplast that was boring to look at--it covers the sides and looks great. It also prevents the pigs from chewing on the coro. However, I found bedspreads to be much more of a hassle than flippers. If you watch the videos on the piggy bedspread website, they demonstrate putting the bedspread on when the coro is NOT inside the cage. It seems so easy, right? The issue is, it's a lot more difficult to wrap the bedspread around the coro when the coro is inside the cage. Imagine putting a fitted sheet on your bed--if the mattress is up against a wall, it's much tougher to pull the sheet all the way down around the sides. In the same way, the piggy bedspreads require a lot of maneuvering to pull down around the coro when inside the cage. They honestly were a bit aggravating for me.

Thanks for making that point. This is also why on our main video, I show cleaning a fully assembled dirty cage with stuff in it. I wanted people to see the reality of it. Even with fleece, I also prefer seeing hay scattered around the cage and wanted to show that being easily brushed off as well.

For me, the fitted sheet aspect was a big one in not using them way back when. I have too much stuff in my cage and didn't want to have to remove everything when cleaning. Also, my main issue in not using them was not wanting to deal with scraped knuckles when trying to tuck the PBS behind the coro wall and in front of the grids. I'm a klutz doing that kind of thing. It just wasn't something I wanted to deal with. I was running a rescue and needed very fast and easy cage cleaning. And that has been my #1 by far mission for 15 years -- to make keeping guinea pigs as easy as possible so that more people actually do keep them in the long run. Hence, I came up with Fleece Flippers.

I will also let a little product announcement out. I'm not sure when we'll have them ready, but we're also adding cage wall covers to our product offering on Guinea Pig Market - Fleece Flippers, Cage Liners, Cozies for Guinea Pig Cages for those who like the "look" as well as like the added benefit that the pigs won't chew on it. Removable and washable independently of anything on bottom including your own fleece liners/blankets.

KristiR

Cavy Slave
I bought a set of 6 fleece flippers and love them! They are awesome. I am planning on buying another set of 6 for my other cage. When I'm washing the fleece and U-haul blankets, I take the coroplast pieces and rinse them with hot water and vinegar and wipe them down good too. Let them air dry overnight and then put them together again once the other stuff is dried. They work so well. It takes me about 10 minutes or less to do a full cage cleaning. I do it every 4th day. Now what I wish would be invented is a vacuum cleaner (small) that won't get ruined if it vacuums up a bunch of hay . . .I hate sweeping. :)

aeiou

Cavy Slave
I bought a set of 5 flippers for my cage, and they were about 4" too short overall. So I can't really vouch for how well they work, but I can just say that they need to be snug in order to help! I also was not patient enough to put the flipper together ;) but that's just me! I just like being able to take a giant piece of fleece and take like 5 min to binder clip it to the side and not worry about poop in between the flippers and coro walls...but I want to try flippers again when I get older and can make them myself to make sure they fit right! I really did enjoy (for the two weeks I used them) being able to just brush off the fleece whenever and make it look fresh!

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I bought a set of 5 flippers for my cage, and they were about 4" too short overall. So I can't really vouch for how well they work, but I can just say that they need to be snug in order to help! I also was not patient enough to put the flipper together ;) but that's just me! I just like being able to take a giant piece of fleece and take like 5 min to binder clip it to the side and not worry about poop in between the flippers and coro walls...but I want to try flippers again when I get older and can make them myself to make sure they fit right! I really did enjoy (for the two weeks I used them) being able to just brush off the fleece whenever and make it look fresh!

We've since changed our Coroplast cuts to be unique to each cage size so that they fit perfectly snugly for every size (even now including the Midwest Cages). Just pop me an email and we'll be happy to send you a new set of Coroplast panels for your cage at our expense. The fleece and liners will still work fine. I just need you to confirm the exact coroplast length and width of your cage so we send you the right size panels. (teresa[MENTION=1]CavySpirit[/MENTION].com) Thanks! I guarantee you'll be happy with the new panels.

aeiou

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the offer! But I'm ok I have plenty of fleece right now! Save the money for the piggies for me :)

ETA: That right there really shows how awesome the market and cage store are! I'm so glad we have a place where they care more about the pigs than the money!

Guinea_lover327
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Pigalicious

Cavy Slave
I HAVE A QUESTION!!!!!....can you use both sides of the fleece flipper...like can you flip one side over???
Yes you can! One of the reasons those things are so awesome!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I HAVE A QUESTION!!!!!....can you use both sides of the fleece flipper...like can you flip one side over???

LOL Of course you can! Why do you think she calls them Fleece FLIPpers?

Guinea_lover327
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.