Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adding a 3rd guinea pig

Danabodek

Cavy Gazer
Hi! I have 2 rescue guinea pigs that I've had for about 1.5 years. A few days ago I decided to try to add another- a 6 week old female. Has anyone added a 3rd that was a younger pig? How did it go? The last 2 days have been stressful and am hoping someone has tips or encouragement. I really would love to keep the baby but don't want to disrupt my girls permanently. I did many intro tips that I found. Thanks!

Kelsie

Cavy Slave
I've never personally added a third pig to an existing pair but I have seen posts where someone did and it caused friction between the original two. I do have to add it was mostly when someone tried to add another male pig to two other males.

I've always kept two 2X6 cages with two females in each cage. Many forum members have 3 or more females in a very large cage and they seem to do well together. I have been contemplating getting three young females all at once and having them together in a large cage. From what I've read here and on other forums it's easier to bond females together than males.

Are your three girls already living together and getting along fairly well? If they are not fighting and drawing blood but just chasing each other and showing dominance in a non-aggressive way then you probably just need to give it time.

There's no guarantee that all will go well when you add another pig but hopefully yours will work it out and live harmoniously. I'm glad you followed the intro tips and please let us know how it all works out.

I also want to add my welcome to the forum.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've introduced a third pig before. It's a little more nerve-wracking than introducing two singletons, but they usually adjust. But you'll need a very large cage, and all hideys will need to have two doors. If you have a loft in the cage, you need two ramps. You need a water bottle per pig, and more than one hay pile and pellet dish. Once they settle in you can take out one of the water bottles and combine the food areas.

What size is your cage?

Danabodek

Cavy Gazer
I've introduced a third pig before. It's a little more nerve-wracking than introducing two singletons, but they usually adjust. But you'll need a very large cage, and all hideys will need to have two doors. If you have a loft in the cage, you need two ramps. You need a water bottle per pig, and more than one hay pile and pellet dish. Once they settle in you can take out one of the water bottles and combine the food areas.

What size is your cage?
Thank you! Currently 2x4 with loft. I just received my kit to upgrade to 2x6 and the loft with 2nd ramp. I plan to build the bigger cage when we move the cage back to its regular location in our basement. (We're just about done with finishing our basement) I added 2 hay stations and have 2 bottles, will get another, same with dishes. During the day I have a ramp to the floor with another 2x5 of space also.

Danabodek

Cavy Gazer
Thanks! There has been some friction with my original 2, but no bloodshed. It is alot of chasing and drama with some chattering and posturing. It is just a little nerve wracking because the little one is so much smaller! I'm hoping to give it a week or so to see how it goes.

SardonicSmile

Cavy Slave
I just added a third pig on Monday. I had a pair of girls, about 2 and 1,5 years old, and I added another girl around 5 to 6 months old.

I washed them one by one and put them in a neutral area. Just a space none of them had used before with a big pile of hay. There was some chasing, posturing, rumbling and teeth chattering, but it went suprisingly well. (When they were still seperated I would get chattered and hissed at if my hands smelled like the new girl so I was a bit scared to put them together.)

After a couple of hours I put them in a totally new cage, so none of them had seen this cage. They explored some, did some more rumbling and teeth chattering and went on with life…

So far they are doing okay. There have been minor incidents, but the duo are still friends and the new girl seems to be mostly tolerated.

I think me washing them (with piggie shampoo) so they smelled alike and then putting them in a never been used cage helped a lot with them accepting eachother.

Danabodek

Cavy Gazer
I just added a third pig on Monday. I had a pair of girls, about 2 and 1,5 years old, and I added another girl around 5 to 6 months old.

I washed them one by one and put them in a neutral area. Just a space none of them had used before with a big pile of hay. There was some chasing, posturing, rumbling and teeth chattering, but it went suprisingly well. (When they were still seperated I would get chattered and hissed at if my hands smelled like the new girl so I was a bit scared to put them together.)

After a couple of hours I put them in a totally new cage, so none of them had seen this cage. They explored some, did some more rumbling and teeth chattering and went on with life…

So far they are doing okay. There have been minor incidents, but the duo are still friends and the new girl seems to be mostly tolerated.

I think me washing them (with piggie shampoo) so they smelled alike and then putting them in a never been used cage helped a lot with them accepting eachother.
That is great to hear! I planned to wash them but read that I shouldn't bathe the baby until 8 weeks (so about 2 weeks to go there). I am glad it is going well for you. Fingers crossed here! 🤞

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A 2x4 is not nearly large enough for three pigs. You need to expand the cage ASAP, or you may have chewed ears or all-out war.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.