Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chins C&C Cage for Chinchilla and a new *surpirse* pet!

Melissa123

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Well, after searching and searching I *think* I may just be buying a cage. It will cost about the same anyways and this way I know it will look nice!

This is one that I was looking at (Feisty Ferret):
https://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16581

I am concerned with the plastic trays as well but I have heard of people custom ordering metal trays for them- so I will look into those.
Will this cage be good for 2 chin's? I am not sure if I will be keeping the baby or not- I haven't heard from the other girl who said she wanted the baby girl.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Well, after searching and searching I *think* I may just be buying a cage. It will cost about the same anyways and this way I know it will look nice!

This is one that I was looking at (Feisty Ferret):
https://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16581

I am concerned with the plastic trays as well but I have heard of people custom ordering metal trays for them- so I will look into those.
Will this cage be good for 2 chin's? I am not sure if I will be keeping the baby or not- I haven't heard from the other girl who said she wanted the baby girl.
The feisty ferret is a good cage. But it might be easier and cheaper to consider something like this: (broken link removed). That has the bass pans already and might be a better deal if you can get him/her to come down on price at all. The critter nation cages break completely down into panels because they are modular. I wish you lived closer, I have three complete CNs that I swapped out for FNs and some other chinnie supplies that could get you started. You can also pretty much always find things like this - (broken link removed). Not sure how close that is to you, but it's definitely worth looking into something used if you don't want to pay an arm and a leg.

Anyway, back to your original question, the cage you linked to would be fine for two chins. It would be ideal if you could just keep the baby with her mama because they're already bonded. Good luck!

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Anyway, back to your original question, the cage you linked to would be fine for two chins. It would be ideal if you could just keep the baby with her mama because they're already bonded. Good luck!

I would LOVE to keep both mama and baby and was shocked when I found out the poor mama wasn't going with at least one of them. Sadly, my store manager promised the person a baby chin. I have been trying to contact her to see if she wants this baby but I've had no reply whatsoever. How long should I keep her here with me and mama? She is 6+ weeks but still follows her mom around everywhere.

I have been looking at CL for cages as well- but I really would want a nice, brand new cage. That way it will last for years and I won't have to buy a new one soon after.

Things I am ordering:
Ferret Nation 182 cage- that way if we do get her a cage mate down the road we can separate the levels if they do not get along.
Wooden hideaways
Platforms
Flying saucer wheel
Chin-Chiller
Blue cloud rock

Items I already have:
Bottle
Litter bin
Dust bath
Pellets/ hay
Apple sticks/ wicker chew toys

Anything else I am missing they need right away? I feel incredibly bad for having them in a tiny cage right now.. I know I won't be receiving their cage for 2-6 business days (ordered it first). I am not sure what to do other than provide nightly floor time in my hall way. No cords and I can close the doors. I feel horrible watching them trying to climb and explore in the current cage.

PrincessPiggy

Cavy Slave
I'm just curious-- can you use fleece with chinchillas and litter-train them, or do they need to have something like Carefresh?

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
I went out and bought a pin for their temp cage. The one thing I am worried about is them jumping out. I know they can jump quite far. I will be making a lid out of grids in a bit. They seem a bit happier in this and it makes me feel a bit better while I am waiting for the cage to get here. The plate in the cage did NOT have veggies on it btw- I do not have any stones so I thought a nice cool plate might be nice for them in the meantime. :)
tempcage.jpgtempcage2.jpg

@PrincessPiggy , yes they can be on fleece. I will be trying it out with them. I have read that litter training can go either way... So we shall see. lol

rainbowwriter77

Cavy Slave
Hope all goes well!

PiggyLove1

Cavy Slave
They are chewers, so use a C&C but be sure to add many chews that are ok for chins. Be sure to have levels, too. I've never had a chinchilla, so I don't know much, but here's a link: (broken link removed)

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
They are chewers, so use a C&C but be sure to add many chews that are ok for chins. Be sure to have levels, too. I've never had a chinchilla, so I don't know much, but here's a link: (broken link removed)

I actually decided to buy a Ferret Nation cage but thank you :D

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
She is 6+ weeks but still follows her mom around everywhere.
I'd try for 12 weeks if you can, of course if you're positive she's a little girl you don't ever have to separate her if you can help it.

I have been looking at CL for cages as well- but I really would want a nice, brand new cage. That way it will last for years and I won't have to buy a new one soon after.
I definitely understand wanting a new cage, I was the same way! But one thing you'll realize about the CN/FN cages is how sturdy they are - they last forever and ever, used or not, especially if you don't use the plastic pans. I bought one new and realized how awesome they are but have found the rest used:

a3cfb9e1-d9f9-40fb-84c3-494c8078419a_zpsbbffc2d1.jpg

Anything else I am missing they need right away? I feel incredibly bad for having them in a tiny cage right now.. I know I won't be receiving their cage for 2-6 business days (ordered it first). I am not sure what to do other than provide nightly floor time in my hall way. No cords and I can close the doors. I feel horrible watching them trying to climb and explore in the current cage.
What are you using for their litter pan? The best thing I've found is a 6x9 glass casserole dish filled with horse stall pellets. They usually do pretty well about peeing in one spot without much effort on your part.

I went out and bought a pin for their temp cage. The one thing I am worried about is them jumping out. I know they can jump quite far. I will be making a lid out of grids in a bit. They seem a bit happier in this and it makes me feel a bit better while I am waiting for the cage to get here. The plate in the cage did NOT have veggies on it btw- I do not have any stones so I thought a nice cool plate might be nice for them in the meantime.
They can jump really high, it's quite impressive! One of mine accidentally ended up in my rabbit room once and he jumped at least 5 feet over the barrier to get out. Scary, but very impressive. :)

Do get a heavy bowl for pellets, otherwise you'll be driven half insane with how many pellets they dump out of their bowl for fun!

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Thanks [MENTION=7434]Paula[/MENTION] for all the tips, you're awesome! Is that your chinchilla room?! That is awesome! I have a piggy room that has 6 cages at the moment so I know it's a ton of work to maintain; I couldn't imagine having *3* rooms to clean daily! Go you!!! :)

My vet said she was a girl; compared to her mama she is the same. I did look at pictures to compare so I believe my vet was correct. Who knows, maybe I won't have to separate ;) I would love to keep them together. It really does irk me that no one else wanted the mama!!!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Thanks @Paula for all the tips, you're awesome! Is that your chinchilla room?! That is awesome! I have a piggy room that has 6 cages at the moment so I know it's a ton of work to maintain; I couldn't imagine having *3* rooms to clean daily! Go you!!!
Yeah, it's my chin room. The pigs are on the other side where I'm standing to take the photo.

Are you leaving dust in for them 24/7?

Melissa123

Cavy Slave

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
No, should be? I have read only 20 minutes daily. Is that wrong?! :/
I'd do it no more than twice a week, max, and only until they are "done" (you'll know), not necessarily for 20 minutes. Personally, I only dust chins once a week unless I'm having a fungus issue or something. They LOVE dust more than anything else and will spend way too much time in it and thoroughly dry out their skin if you let them have it daily or even every other day or so.

Also, until or unless the dust gets ruined (peed on) or there's something else going on, you can reuse the dust (big money saver).

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
I'd do it no more than twice a week, max, and only until they are "done" (you'll know), not necessarily for 20 minutes. Personally, I only dust chins once a week unless I'm having a fungus issue or something. They LOVE dust more than anything else and will spend way too much time in it and thoroughly dry out their skin if you let them have it daily or even every other day or so.

Also, until or unless the dust gets ruined (peed on) or there's something else going on, you can reuse the dust (big money saver).

Thank you! This was the first day so I will wait a bit to give it again. I will also be joining the chinchilla form you shared with me. I have been reading through a lot of the threads and it has helped me a ton!

Melissa123

Cavy Slave

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
The cage is here and all set up! Still waiting on the flying saucer to arrive though.
They are doing very well. Tulip aka Tula (mama) loves the new cage and runs up and down while Lily Bean (baby) is still unsure about all the levels.

[MENTION=7434]Paula[/MENTION], where do you buy all of your ledges/perches at? I bought some online but I am really not a fan of them. They are not the best quality! Do you know of any wooden houses that are good as well?

Here is a picture- feel free to comment on anything you feel I need to change!

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Oops! Here it is! chincage.jpg

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
Very nice, how are you liking the ferret nation? I love mine, and so do my ferrets. There very sturdy and will last for years unlike those cheap super pet cages.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
Very nice, how are you liking the ferret nation? I love mine, and so do my ferrets. There very sturdy and will last for years unlike those cheap super pet cages.

I love it so far! I just set it up today; it didn't take as long as I was excepting! I am just happy they are in a cage that they can climb and run around in. :)

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
I love it so far! I just set it up today; it didn't take as long as I was excepting! I am just happy they are in a cage that they can climb and run around in. :)

You will defiantly be happy with it. It is expensive when you buy them brand new, but you'll be happy when you don't have to go buy a new one in a year or so. : )

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.