Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Bizarre behaviour?

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
About half an hour ago, I went to get Joey, and he was laying down in his cuddle cup. Brought him out, cuddled him, etc. Put him back just now, and he waddled back over to the cozie and hopped in and started digging at it, and biting and pulling. I have never seen him do such a thing! I went downstairs and got some lettuce to see if I could distract him, and when I came back up he was in his hidey hut like nothing had happened. As soon as he saw the lettuce he ran out and started munching away. I am stumped- he has never done that before, and so I am trying to figure out what it could mean. Has anyone ever had their pig do the same thing? Could he be trying to tell me something?

Any ideas?

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
I am not sure about this behaviour, and I havent seen my piggies do this. I have seen my dog do something similar trying to hide treats, or randomly. I am not sure whether that is the same thing hopefully someone will recognise the behaviour, he may have just been playing.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
The only thing I could think of is I put some cilantro in there last night, maybe it smells like cilantro and he is trying to get at it? But I have put veggies in there before and I have never seen him do this, so I can't imagine why he would start now. He is just napping in the cozie now.

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
He might still smell the cilantro and is looking for it not to sure. He might just like the cozie.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
One of my girls does this when she's in heat. I imagine she's preparing a nice nest or birth place for her "babies". She really goes at it, squeaking & mumbling like she's pissed off at the poor cuddle cup.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
Hmm. He is most definitely a boy, so I know that he isn't in heat! As for the post before, he hasn't shown a huge interest in it before, he would occasionally nap in it but he seems to be more interested in it today. Should I take it out and put a clean one in to see if it is the smell of cilantro that is causing this, or might that upset him?

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
It's hard to know if it will upset him or not, But maybe if the scent is gone it won't bother him anymore if that is what is causing his behaviour. I might try taking the cozie out but keeping it close by and putting a fresh one in, I wouldn't want to upset any of my piggies either so if he starts searching for it, and squealing for it then I would give it him back. On the other hand it might help him to realise there is no food in the cozie and he will forget about it.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
He doesn't seem to be doing the biting/digging anymore, I have been checking in on him every few minutes and he is just napping in there now. Maybe he was just trying to make himself a nest like HL's pig does. I would feel bad booting him out when he looks so comfy!

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
My boar does this too, trying to make a comfy spot to nap in. Sound completely normal.

louie_joey

Cavy Slave
My boar does this too, trying to make a comfy spot to nap in. Sound completely normal.

That makes me feel a lot better knowing that he isn't the only one! He is sound asleep in it now, so adorable!

guineapigs2468

Cavy Slave
Yh it must be a normal thing then,as long as the piggy is happy in his cozie :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.