Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Fur with clump of dandruff

thedoors27

Cavy Slave
Looking over my guinea pig this evening and thought I felt a scab. Had a closer look and it was a big bit of white dandruff. A small tuft of hair has come out and the dandruff is on the bottom of the fur in a clump. When she was a baby she had a fungal infection on her ear which I was told by the breeder to clear up with athletes foot cream. Do you think it's worth me taking her to the vet to buy some sort of shampoo ( if this is fungal again ) or taking anyway to get both my pigs treated with ivectermin?

p.s does this mean I have throw out all of their wooden houses yet again? Only recently bought one and they eat plastic ones!

Any help would be great ( tried to take a picture but ipad camera won't focus properly! )

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Tufts of hair coming out imply a fungal infection. Check https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html. There are some medications you can try before taking her to the vet. If it improves with treatment, then yes, you do need to clean the cage very thoroughly and throw away the wooden stuff.

thedoors27

Cavy Slave
What do I do for where they sleep? Go back to plastic houses even though they nibble on them? Can't keep buying wooden ones all the time as they cost £16 over here. Any housing ideas would be appreciated. :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Until you get the problem under control, take out all the wooden and plastic hideys, and either clip fleece across the corners of the cages (easy to take off and wash daily) or put in upside down cardboard boxes (leave the lids off) that you've cut doors in the ends.

thedoors27

Cavy Slave
When you say fleece, what exactly do you mean? Is there a special kind for pets? I live in the U.k any suggestions where I could get some?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's a fabric, sold at any fabric store. It's advantage over other fabrics is that it doesn't have to be hemmed as it doesn't ravel, so it's safe for guinea pigs and easy to use. Many people use it over an absorbent layer (like towels or mattress pads) as bedding, but that only works in a large cage.

You can use other fabric, but you can't leave any dangling threads, and you have to watch to make sure they're not eating it. Most pigs take a nibble or two of fleece to see whether it's edible and then leave it alone.

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
B&M Bargains Pet Fleeces £3.99, Ikea in the kids section 99p-£3, Home Bargains £3.99, Wilkinsons, B&Q £4-£12

GoldieBrodiexx

Cavy Slave
B&M Bargains Pet Fleeces £3.99, Ikea in the kids section 99p-£3, Home Bargains £3.99, Wilkinsons, B&Q £4-£12

You can also get cheap fleece from Asda and Primark.

thedoors27

Cavy Slave
Many thanks to all. Going to take them both to the vets to get them both checked out and then off to get some fleece! P.s might sound stupid but just want to double check. Something like this? (broken link removed)

Iklepink

Cavy Slave
Yes they're the ones :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.